New CA mini ?

Jestronix

10 kW
I love the ca but it's a tad on the large side. I'd love to see a new CA mini with a true matrix screen. I find the big CA is not that stealthy, something the size of large watch would be nice. Dunno for street use they really say hey this bike is electric :) even if they make an aux port on the current model to throw out to a new small display.

There actually is an aux port for the data itself. ;) You could take the serial output of the CA, run it to an arduino or other MCU, and have that display the data in any format you like, even via BT to your phone or whatever. I think someone already did this but don't recall if it was just on his bike or was a product (don't think it's still around either way).

You could even remove the LCD from the CA at this point, if it's always setup the same way and you never need to change stuff on it. The actual CA board is pretty small. You just have to add an LED and resistor that match the ones on the LCD, cuz that's part of the power regulator (see a post from Teklektik from today, in the CA v3 thread for details).

More complicated, and would only show exactly what's on the CA screen at any moment: you could use an arduino to take the data outputs from the CA to the LCD, and send those characters to any other display you like, after translating them on the fly to the correct format for it.

Less complicated but more clunky: you could use a mini video camera (or even a phone) to view the CA in a box somewhere on the bike, to send the video to whatever device you like.

I imagine with enough effort it could also be modified into a scanning electron microscope or a suitcase nuke. Customers would likely be way hyped to buy a smaller BT capable version. Maybe have the only display a tiny satellite sun resistant screen the size of a typical speedo for mph and volts/amps, with all the rest of data and control for a paired old android/apple phone. It would still have jacks for external bar mounted controls like pot/3spd etc.

Having a Cycle Analyst mini inside the battery box with a blue-tooth feeding info to your smart-phone (for a read-out) is a very interesting idea. I didn't bring this idea up, but now that it is out there, I think there are some customers who would like this option.

I think the one I was thinking of was Panurge
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=25101&start=150
file.php

So the capability to do it already exists. ;)

Looks like the android app is from Sigmacom
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59893
so all you need is a serial-to-BT adapter to send it to your phone.

If you already ahve one of those watch-sized phone displays then maybe the app can already display right there?

While everybody has their own desires... from a Stealth Perspective I ride Bike Paths all the time and over the 1,000's of miles ridden I think I have had 2 people notice my bike is electric and I assure you it is not because of the Cycle Analyst.

I love the Cycle Analyst... I don't know why other manufactures don't realize that Battery Monitoring is the most important function. I can check speed and distance, etc. with a tiny little Cateye. And my vision isn't what it used to be so the CA being a bit larger works for me. But I get how a mini-sized version would be pretty cool.

But at some point it's like Apple continuing to make their Laptops Thinner and Thinner... what is the "Goldilocks" size that makes the most sense for the marketplace in general?

Recumbent Bicycle Source said:
While everybody has their own desires... from a Stealth Perspective I ride Bike Paths all the time and over the 1,000's of miles ridden I think I have had 2 people notice my bike is electric and I assure you it is not because of the Cycle Analyst.

I love the Cycle Analyst... I don't know why other manufactures don't realize that Battery Monitoring is the most important function. I can check speed and distance, etc. with a tiny little Cateye. And my vision isn't what it used to be so the CA being a bit larger works for me. But I get how a mini-sized version would be pretty cool.

But at some point it's like Apple continuing to make their Laptops Thinner and Thinner... what is the "Goldilocks" size that makes the most sense for the marketplace in general?

Mostly its other ebikers that notice your on an ebike too, i find myself looking all the time, mainly because of the pace they are going and wanting to see if they are hub or mid and how they have done their setup. The lycracarbons are sometimes more curious and do a quick check at the lights to see whats going on.

Sometimes its noticeable by their speed, other times its by the motor and battery like a Magic Pie guy I saw with a huge battery on the rack. I talked to a dude that bought a moped with no license plate, to me thats unpracticle, I was unsure if he knew about ebicycles, but I promoted the ES website.

FWIW, even on the SB Cruiser, I've actually had people tell me I ought to put a motor on it cuz it's so big and "must be heavy". (usually while we're stopped at a light, or I'm parking)

When they just saw me going down the road at 20MPH without pedalling.

:lol:

So, not everybody has a clue.

file.php

file.php

Very interesting. I've wanted this sort of feature for a while, being able to use a smartphone as the display.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=75888 Closest thing I know of beside this, he is still working on the actual smartphone for display functionality.

markz said:
Justin and his team are smart I'm sure they thought about it.

You guys all have such short memories. The CA used to be mini, with a screen just under 3" wide, but everyone wanted a larger display that was easier to see and read while riding so we obliged:
http://www.ebikes.ca/news/Large-Screen-Cycle-Analyst/
Now you all want small and discrete again, ayay...

justin_le said:
markz said:
Justin and his team are smart I'm sure they thought about it.

You guys all have such short memories. The CA used to be mini, with a screen just under 3" wide, but everyone wanted a larger display that was easier to see and read while riding so we obliged:
http://www.ebikes.ca/news/Large-Screen-Cycle-Analyst/
Now you all want small and discrete again, ayay...

You just can't win :) we want it all yesterday :) I guess I'm looking at on and off Road, off Road I want a nice big CA and the current model rocks for this, but on the street a nice little display for basics is nice and discrete. Even if you guys came up with a nice little aux compatible display. I'd stash the main CA in my bag, and run the little display.

Upgrade to the mini CA if the price was right might be a nice option and with a CA firmware flash we might see the option to run both screens , throwing out other data to the mini, for me it would be Temperature or watt hours.

We want more Justin, more ! While we are feature dreaming I'd love to see watt hour markers , so I get half way to work at the 10klm mark I get a watt hour comparison based on my last journey, today I'm 40 watt hours up etc. so I know I can plant it on my return journey etc.

Either way the CA is an awesome unit. :)

I see two options or possible proposals.
- redesign with cost in mind- exclude display and shrink formfactor if possible. Pair to android/ios device for full setup/function/display. Add an output for a small bar mounted speedo-type display w/ basic desired riding info. Retain outputs for bar mounted switches and parameter set switching. You could use easily use full smartphone control/display or go 'naked'.

Or keep as is and just add those functions. Could still be standalone/ bar mounted as original, or could be used only for computing and hidden. Display and control could be easy to read inconspicuous speedo style, original unit display, and/or a smartphone.

I opted for the older style CA on my bike mainly for the size. Maybe Justin has some old ones kicking around.

The Bluetooth thing is the wave of the future. I'd rather have a dedicated display than use my phone, but I think most people would be OK with a phone. You could have a nice mount for the phone and provide power to charge it while riding.

Let's not go backwards. I say a Heads Up Display is the way to go!

amberwolf said:
Or just implant electrodes in the retina, with a BT receiver under the skin. ;)

Now *that* is stealthy.

Sure. ES Mods (past and present) get to go first :wink:

If I can get an audio and MIDI output wired directly to the music/sound creation part of my brain first, I'd be willing to try out the other too. ;)

(then I can actually get the music I hear into the computer correctly, rather than the often-garbage I end up with).

amberwolf said:
If I can get an audio and MIDI output wired directly to the music/sound creation part of my brain first, I'd be willing to try out the other too. ;)

(then I can actually get the music I hear into the computer correctly, rather than the often-garbage I end up with).

RCA cables with a MIDI converter into the battery pack.

cal3thousand said:
Let's not go backwards. I say a Heads Up Display is the way to go!

These guys are based out of Vancouver not too far from us:
Recon_webpage.jpg
https://software.intel.com/en-us/recon

It really wouldn't take much development work to make an app to send the CA data to a HUD unit like this via a smartphone that has either a USB or bluetooth connection to the CA's data stream.

It would sure be a lot easier though if we finally got that darn bluetooth transmitter integrated into the device though...

Now this is a great idea :) - imagine New CA4 has recon capability and smart phone logging :) I think the CA has a long and bright future if it goes Bluetooth with a dev kit for app designers.

Back