Questions about Bafang motors

I just ordered a bafang motor for my next bike project. I heard you can run 500w BPM motors at 1000 watts with one metal gear installed. Does anyone know where I can buy them? Also I have heard about blue composite gears. Those have been harder to track down. Thanks.

WOW, good luck. I think there have been gears available for other manufactures. I tried to find one and spent hours, with no luck.
Lyen did some years back...
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=18732

Maybe cutler mac for their motor...
http://www.macmc.com.cn/product/60512097749-200913141/Mac_geared_hub_motor_with_2_composite_gears_and_1_steel_gear.html

Here's one thanks to 10 minutes of google...

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Ebird-Electric-Bike-Motor-Gear-For-Bafang-Hub-Motor-Plastic-Gear-Replacement/1971954_32801232911.html

Three minimum but I'd guess you could sell them easily.

maanebedotten said:
I run my bpm2 at at 1500 watts with the stock nylon gears. From what I read the clutch will kick the bucket before the gears unless you get the motor very hot.
I am planning at running it at 1000 Watts. I am thinking of using all three metal gears. If it proves to be too noisy for my tastes, I Will disassemble it and use only one steel gear and sell the other two here on E:S

maanebedotten said:
But why? The stock gears will take 1000w all day long without breaking a sweat.
Just to make it so it is more durable. Better to be overkill then underkill, safe then sorry, etc. Besides it will lead to less maintenance down the road.

RonnieBrowen2106 said:
maanebedotten said:
I run my bpm2 at at 1500 watts with the stock nylon gears. From what I read the clutch will kick the bucket before the gears unless you get the motor very hot.
I am planning at running it at 1000 Watts. I am thinking of using all three metal gears. If it proves to be too noisy for my tastes, I Will disassemble it and use only one steel gear and sell the other two here on E:S

You're welcome.

A modicum of research will reveal this has all been done before. With no gain other than noise, with three steel gears.
But hey, have fun.

RonnieBrowen2106 said:
maanebedotten said:
But why? The stock gears will take 1000w all day long without breaking a sweat.
Just to make it so it is more durable. Better to be overkill then underkill, safe then sorry, etc. Besides it will lead to less maintenance down the road.

None of which has been shown to be true. Thats the great thing about ES. We don't have to do it all over again. :lol:

I am very hard on my bikes. I like to have a little fun :D better to make it extra durable. Plus then the future buyer will have less issues. Most people don't have a clue how to properly use an E-Bike. So the next person won't have too much trouble after I beat the heck out of it.

You can lead a horse to water...
P

I am going to stick to the nylon gears for now and see how they hold up.... I have one question though. My 48v 1000W Direct Drive hub puts out 25 N.M torque. and the geared motor outputs 45 N.M torque at 500W. How huch torque can I expect to see at 1000W? It has 285 RPM at 36v and 320 RPM at 48v. That puts it at a mid-wind code 11 motor. What kind of performance can I expect to see? The top speed will be 25 MPH, but it should be able to be more consistant with more torque right? My DD slows down on hills a lot and some on inclines. Thanks.

maanebedotten said:
I assumed you were talking about the bpm motor since you mentioned 500w rating earlier. The swx is a 250w rated motor i believe but I have never used one so I dont know anything about them. I would be careful pushing 1000w through such a small motor though.
I think it is a 500w motor. That is what the listing said.

Attachments

• Optimized-WP_20170510_15_42_45_Pro.jpg
    Optimized-WP_20170510_15_42_45_Pro.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 2,674
  • Optimized-WP_20170510_15_42_27_Pro.jpg
    Optimized-WP_20170510_15_42_27_Pro.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 3,331
I have noticed that my motor is not a swx02. It is much to large to be that. It is 177mm diameter and my DD hub motor is 198mm in diameter. I have the 8-fun/bafang thing sorted out, but why label a motor swx02 when clearly it is not?

Who labeled it, you don't show the labeling, and where did you get the specs from? Motor from?

Optimized-WP_20170510_15_42_45_Pro.jpg

Here is the labeling. I bought it on eBay. They said it was 500w. The labeling says swx02. But is not the same size, nor weight. It was listed as a 500w bafang geared motor that gets 285RPM at 36v and 320 at 48v. Torque of 45 or 48 N.M. And looks identical to a BPM.

The labeling is contradictory, it says 48v 500w and that it is a bfswx02. Swx02 is a 250w-350w motor, not a 500w from my understanding an limited googling.

Back