NIO’s EP9 EV beats every production car ever

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
ES Bible "Search found 1 match: +NIO +EP9"... Hehe... Guess I haven't been too interested/following the automotive world. :mrgreen:

NIO’s EP9 EV beats every production car ever with a Nurburgring lap record of 6:45:90:
https://electrek.co/2017/05/13/nios-ep9-nurburgring-record/

[youtube]NRTloURydAo[/youtube]

:shock: (EP9’s battery cells 648kg, car 1800kg total)

From six months ago...

The NextEV ‘Nio EP9’ Would Be The Overall ‘Ring Record Holder If It Wasn’t For One Crucial Detail:
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/th...rd-holder-if-it-wasnt-for-one-crucial-detail/

There’s one thing I couldn’t help but wonder when news of NextEV’s very first car - the Nio EP9 - dropped today. Shouldn’t it be a little bit quicker?

I’m not talking about the staggering 0-124mph time of 7.1 seconds, nor the 196mph top speed. No, I’m referring to the Nurburgring lap time. Sure, the 7min 5.16sec lap has crowned the EP9 as the electric vehicle lap record holder, but shouldn’t a 1341bhp hypercar be quicker than that? Particularly in a world where a Lamborghini Aventador SV with around half the power can clock a 6min 58sec effort.

Now we have our answer: it turns out the lap wasn’t at maximum attack, and it’s all down to the temperatures of the EP9’s battery cells, which make up 648kg of the car’s 1800kg mass.

Speaking to us at the car’s reveal in London today, NextEV Formula E driver and EP9 test driver Nelson Piquet Jr said: “We’re not at maximum power at any point of the lap, otherwise we’d heat up the batteries too much.” A figure of “90 per cent or less” is suggested, to which Senior Design Director David Hilton says what we we’ve all been thinking: “Imagine what it could do on 100.”

Guessing they've been working on cooling those cells. :mrgreen:

Listen to it ! Sounds like a jet engine !

[youtube]UuW9qYVBLB8[/youtube]

^^ Oh sure. My electric bike sounds like that... [cough cough] Kinda wonder watt we're hearing? Lessee... Transmission... tire treads... air cooled motor... guessing cells liquid cooled. 8)

Back