Im seeing more and more "Segways"

markz

100 TW
Two days ago I was at a bus stop and I saw an adult getting off work at the AAA ours is AMA, and he scooted along on his toy "segway"

A month or two ago I was ebiking in a very large city park that spans 30km or more, guerrilla charging and a family with an adult on a toy "segway"

Over a month ago ebiking downtown in China Town, saw the real deal Segway or what looked to be the real ones.

And awhile ago, some kids were on the toy segways on the pathway/sidewalk on the boulevard close to me.

Still not seeing many ebikes around though. Which is good because then theres less stupid shit people are doing to get the government looking at it.

I live near live-in boat harbors and see a few Segway clones & folding Ebikes. The Segway clones are about 1/3 the size (probably 1/8th the cost too) of a real Segway & would fit in the backseat of a car.

Some of the harbors are a pretty long stretch to walk, so they make a little sense for someone with disposable income and find the little walk too slow & boring. :lol:

They are called hoverboards I think
Real fun when neighbourhood kids get them with an annoying bluetooth speaker on max volume.

But those hoverboard wipe outs make good failarmy content nevertheless :lol:

segway.jpg

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/segway-mini-pro-segway-mini-pro/prod20293523.ip?searchTerm=segway

Yea seen em in the store local to me also.

There will be plenty of LiPo fires happenin, maybe not the Staples or Big Box Stores boards.
Wouldnt be too hard to switch to brand name cans for those sellers either.

Seeing more "Segways" around? Maybe ya can escape to Prague...

The Segway Ban is Expanding To Prague 2 and 10:
http://www.praguemorning.cz/segway-ban-expanding-prague-2-10/

Begins:
The expanding Segway ban has been proposed in Prague 2 and 10. Both districts hope to adopt the regulations by this summer.

The ban was originally put in place last December. The restrictions were first implemented in Prague 1, as well as the Žižkov, Smíchov, Libeň, Letná and Holešovice neighborhoods.

:wink:

Prague - Motorized Inline Skates are ok though, Motorized Skateboards are ok too.
So slow segways, or fast inlines & boards

I see tourists riding them in Golden Gate Park. Banned on sidewalks in San Francisco, but can ride on the street or on bike trails. I can't imagine riding a Segway on the street in SF and surviving more than a few blocks. Bikes are scary enough.

A Segway is limited to 12.5 miles per hour.

But I bet it would really hurt if one ran into you.

Segway went around and specifically got laws changed in various places just so they could sell their stuff there. Some existing laws did not allow for devices like theirs (as nothing like it was sold before then, AFAIK), and when the laws changed in some places they actually disallowed things like ebikes because of the wording chosen. IIRC, Hawaii was one of those; dont recall if its ever changed.

So Segways became legal on the sidewalks/etc where they did because Segway specifically made that happen, one way or another.

Ebikes being legal or not in various places and ways is in some cases because of what Segway did, and in some cases because of what cyclists and/or ebikers have done, and in some cases because of what businesses, pedestrians, lawmakers, or other civic groups have done. In some cases its because a law started out prohibiting them (either bicycles specifically or simply just anything but pedestrians) and just never got changed.

When I originally posted this, I saw a guy in my neighborhood riding a real segway, we chatted for awhile on the overpass.
I would find them quite useless in many ways, as apposed to say a electric skateboard or longboard which is much more useful. You would look like a grown hippie riding it even in a suit, but if you only needed to go a short distance then why not, just store it behind the office door. Hop on the train, get to your stop and be home in minutes rather then waiting for the bus. In winter, different story.

markz said:
I would find them quite useless in many ways, as apposed to say a electric skateboard or longboard which is much more useful.

A Segway will get you there without broken wrists or collarbones or traumatic brain injury. And it won't get stopped dead or have its wheels skidded flat if it hits a piece of pea gravel.

Chalo said:
markz said:
I would find them quite useless in many ways, as apposed to say a electric skateboard or longboard which is much more useful.

A Segway will get you there without broken wrists or collarbones or traumatic brain injury. And it won't get stopped dead or have its wheels skidded flat if it hits a piece of pea gravel.

OneWheel brand electric board with its large diameter pneumatic tire would not be affected by gravel, uneven sidewalks, would store easily at the office and home and could be taken on the train, bus, etc.. of course ride within your skill level at safe speeds for the terrain, pedestrians, etc and use appropriate safety gear.. after decades of board riding my brain, bones and joints are all still intact.. of course its probably not for everyone (without some practice)..

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
OneWheel brand electric board with its large diameter pneumatic tire would not be affected by gravel, uneven sidewalks, would store easily at the office and home and could be taken on the train, bus, etc..

Interesting. That thing looks less like a skateboard and more like 35 percent of a Segway. Does it work like a Segway, with tilt sensors?

Seems like it would be troublesome to deal with a puncture.

It also seems like the OP and others are calling things Segways that aren't. I can't attest to how well those other things might work, but I'm guessing not as well as the real deal.

Chalo said:
efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
OneWheel brand electric board with its large diameter pneumatic tire would not be affected by gravel, uneven sidewalks, would store easily at the office and home and could be taken on the train, bus, etc..

Interesting. That thing looks less like a skateboard and more like 35 percent of a Segway. Does it work like a Segway, with tilt sensors?

Seems like it would be troublesome to deal with a puncture.

It also seems like the OP and others are calling things Segways that aren't. I can't attest to how well those other things might work, but I'm guessing not as well as the real deal.

yes OneWheel has sensors so that to accelerate the rider applies weight to the front leading foot, to decelerate slow or stop apply weight to the rear trailing foot.. i think the tire tread is fairly thick so should have long tread life and high puncture resistance.. if it did puncture i would be tempted to give it a shot of fix a flat (even though that would be messy later during eventual tire replacement) or use a tire repair plug.. OneWheel would be a lot more fun to ride than segway imo (for the adventurous) similar to snowboarding, surfing..

everything which has motor with the person operating it with no movement of legs immediately draws attention from other pathway users and definitely is abnormal.
No matter what is attached/mounted to my bicycle as long as I move my legs my ebike is consider bicycle.
Person standing still on Segway moving from A to B - that is not normal.
Anything motorized can draw outrage from road bicycle purists. and by-law crack down,
that is what bother me here in Calgary.

miro13car said:
Anything motorized can draw outrage from road bicycle purists. and by-law crack down,
that is what bother me here in Calgary.

As long as your contraption is legal and has access rights, it doesn't really matter what others think about it, does it? I mean, I think baby strollers are inappropriate on public paths, and their operators are often oblivious and inconsiderate, but there's nothing to be done about it. It's not my business.

There's only a potential problem if you're riding something that isn't compliant with the law where you are.

" potential problem " is unlikely when number of ebikes is low
even if I comply by-law would stop me.
so everything is in numbers

Back