Hillhater wrote: ↑
Feb 27, 2018 10:05 pm
sendler2112 wrote: ↑
Feb 26, 2018 12:08 pm
...... I wonder how much a smart meter costs? How old are all of the meters we have now? It's time for some new ones.
On the subject of "smart meters" and such,...does anyone know (with certainty !) how the various energy reporting authorities, etc ,know how much "rooftop". Solar power is generated at any point in time or over the course of a day ?
My understanding is that a smart meter does not monitor the solar generation, only any portion that is fed back to the grid, and actual generation from the panels has to be monitored by a separate meter which is not always fitted , and generally not able to communicate externally.
So how do they compile all this "real time" data of rooftop generation. ??
Yeah I have wondered about this too. I assume its measured this way so that it looks good as possible. But yeah every time I see those solar generation stats on electricitymap I wonder how much of that power is being consumed by the actual house before it gets on the grid.
I was just looking at electrictymap for South Australia today and I think this is the best day I have ever seen.
It was 3am and they were generating 70% of their electricity via the wind-turbines, using 73% installed capacity. Of course, it comes in the coolest day of the week, so it has come when the demand for electricity is not needed as no one's going to need to turn on their aircons.
The other thing to note as you have pointed out is you see them continue the gas burning generation with the gas bump along with the wind kicking in as well, as this is the only way to have a smooth generation on the grid. The problem is that you undermine having any truly clean generation like we have seen with France vs Germany with France being mostly nuclear and emitting 10times less co2 than Germany at times.
Despite Germany's massive windfarm setup France kicks there arse in terms of total co2 emissions.
I noticed Getup! has been picked up in pumping out renewable energy propaganda on Facebook etc, even when I been listening to ABC news radio lately they been quoting the data/claims made by Getup! about how amazing renewable energy is on our billion dollar ABC broadcaster as official data. And of course, they just repeat it every hour on the ABC news radio station.
As usual, this stuff is very wide to its interpretation, deliberately designed to be as manipulative as possible. As according to Elecitrcitymap its 430MW of solar capacity in South Australia vs Germany's 40,700MW which is about 100times more. I used to get people on Facebook sharing these memes so much a few years ago it was annoying. Maybe the price of electricity has drilled some reality into some folks.
https://www.facebook.com/GetUpAustralia ... =3&theater
And while SA may want to celebrate such claims it still doesn't stop the fact they hit $10,000MW/h at the very same time they were enjoying their solar energy. You can see the orange colored solar generation sitting above their light blue wind generation, the rest being gas and coal. The total price for the hot weekend being around $400million dollars, they could have built at least 1 generation unit for coal for the price.
I haven't seen many articles about it but apparently, there is talk or a plan to build a NSW to SA interstate grid connector electricity tower line.
This way instead of those frequent times when South Australia imports about 30% of their electricity from Victorian grid coal they can now pull another 30% for NSW for a total of 60% of all their energy from interstate coal and still claim they are 70% renewables.
Back in the day people used to complain and hate huge electricity towers but every wind farm etc needs them, and they have upgraded the two links from Victoria to South Australia to carry more power.
https://www.transgrid.com.au/news-views ... -grid.aspx