Powering a Fiskars Momentum?

TXATC

1 µW
Hello all,

I am trying to find parts and a way to power the reel of my Momentum with batteries. I love the way it makes my yard look and no allergens blown all over the place.

I emailed back and forth with a gentleman who has done this conversion but I didn't really understand everything he was saying. All I am looking to do is have a DC motor run off of batteries to power the reel only. I can push it by myself at least.

I was looking at using a motor from a scooter parts store. I don't know how powerful I need it to be. I was looking at one that was 24v 135W. It spins at 2750rpm, I'll have to figure out a way to reduce that so the reel doesn't fly off. I'm not entirely certain of the battery size I will need. I am not an engineer or an electrician, just a tinkerer. I would like to be able to hook the batteries up directly to the motor with just a momentary switch to engage the reel. I have a 1/8 acre yard with some hills and very thick grass. Ideally the reel would spin at about 850rpm ish.

I am a noob with this and would greatly appreciate and help, advice, or instruction y'all could give me.

Thanks in advance for your time.

TX

The first thing I would recommend is to follow the conversion that's already been done if it works well and reliably. If you don't understand what he's done, perhaps you could post that here so others can help interpret it for you.

That said, I'm not entirely sure, but I think you are asking about a lawn mower conversion?

If so, you might want to look around at some of the existing threads for what they've found to work, to get an idea of power levels, RPM, etc., if they have that info there.

Some of them should come up in this search
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=mower&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
though there's irrelevant stuff there, too.

Back