BMW E "i5" conversion by Matija

mfox

10 W
Hello,

I'm starting a new project. One month ago I bought this car. I've been wanting to do an BMW series 5 e39 conversion for several years now. I was giving up of this car because they are almost in very bad condition because of rust and they are not good care . I was looking for cupe e46 or e46 sedan , but they are not so good quality and suspension ar also weak. They are also expencive.
Last week I found perfect car for my conversion . It is BMW 520i e39 97 year. It is in very good condition , no rust at all . Inside is almost new. It has some parts to be replaced but nothing serious. He has roof window, wich was priority and collor is also that I like. Two months ago I bought Tesla battery from S 85 , 9 modules . That's 47kwh power.
I have some experience in car conversion. Two years ago I converted an old Opel Kadett.
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...ja-167650.html
And it very good and reliable conversion, Now it has about 19000 km and still going with no problems .

I was looking for powertrain... These days it is working on hacking Tesla drive train, nissan leaf drive train. But they are working on 400 V and I'm scare to play with this high voltage. Don't know if this will working reliable...
For instance if I took Tesladrivetrain , I'll put it on the car gearbox with cluch. There is no room on the car for complete tesla motor+inverter+diferential on the car because of car rear axle carrier...

gB28gWvh.jpg

T1bMfKxh.jpg

msHPD67h.jpg

tVfDuo6h.jpg

0Achy5Ah.jpg

Some stuff on car didnt work. Like rear window, front door didnt want to lock it . I replaced both modules on front doors , now is all working . In the meentime , I bought black cotton seats and door panels so the car is going to black. Instead leather in very bad condition. I cleaned the sats and now are like new.

Vb3NESUh.jpg

IRNI5T1h.jpg

s4MG1H6h.jpg

cOnZGlUh.jpg

pkGa5oHh.jpg

Today I bought warp 11 electric motor . I wanted some AC from salvaged Leaf or Tesla , but nothing works reliable by now. And it is difficullt to get >400V from 9 tesla modules. So I decided to oldsystem powertrain.

53g8QToh.jpg

Awesome! Looking forward to how this comes along. The DC motor is a cheap source of power, but not as nice as an AC powertrain.

Also, the Mods may choose to put this in the large EV section. No worries, I'll follow it all the same :)

Any chance you could measure a few things on the tesla Module for me? I'm curious as to what the cooling loop diameter is. It looks to be thin, flat aluminium tube, but I haven't seen any high res images of them up close.

Chris

jonescg said:
Awesome! Looking forward to how this comes along. The DC motor is a cheap source of power, but not as nice as an AC powertrain.

Also, the Mods may choose to put this in the large EV section. No worries, I'll follow it all the same :)

Any chance you could measure a few things on the tesla Module for me? I'm curious as to what the cooling loop diameter is. It looks to be thin, flat aluminium tube, but I haven't seen any high res images of them up close.

Chris

Dont ask for too many amps from those modules unless you parallel a few mate.
Also what do you want to know is it the cooling you diameter? Have a source for packs in Australia.

We are doing a Tesla hack 420kw hack for a client atm.

Cheers Kiwi

jonescg said:

Chris

Tnx for support :) ,
outer diameter of cooling pipe is 8mm and flat aluminium tube has dimension about 31.8x3.7mm and it goes in 8 rows in module .

kiwiev said:
Dont ask for too many amps from those modules unless you parallel a few mate.
Also what do you want to know is it the cooling you diameter? Have a source for packs in Australia.

We are doing a Tesla hack 420kw hack for a client atm.

Cheers Kiwi

what is too many ? 700 amp shortly i think it wont be a problem. Those battery are strong , if are they good for Tesla, then are they also good for me :) , Of course I need to put good BMS, cooling and heating .
I wont race this car on the track, I will drive it normaly.

mfox said:
outer diameter of cooling pipe is 8mm and flat aluminium tube has dimension about 31.8x3.7mm and it goes in 8 rows in module .

Ah, and I believe the P100D models manage to fit more cells in the same space by reducing the thickness of the cooling tube to ~3 mm, and increasing it's height to about ~50 mm for added cooling power.

I am very curious about the material stuffed between the aluminium tube and the cells. It's needed for galvanic isolation, otherwise the cells will be shorting against the loop. It must reduce it's cooling power though.

We have ordered a module from ebay, but won't be here in Oz for a long time. We have to do our research from Google in the meantime ;)

Great project, I'll be following with interest. The e39 is a nice car to drive and 'll be interested to hear your thoughts on how it drives after the conversion. Good luck :D

jonescg said:
mfox said:

Ah, and I believe the P100D models manage to fit more cells in the same space by reducing the thickness of the cooling tube to ~3 mm, and increasing it's height to about ~50 mm for added cooling power.

I am very curious about the material stuffed between the aluminium tube and the cells. It's needed for galvanic isolation, otherwise the cells will be shorting against the loop. It must reduce it's cooling power though.

We have ordered a module from ebay, but won't be here in Oz for a long time. We have to do our research from Google in the meantime ;)

Isolation between cells and tube is with some gume that transfer heat

Rube said:
Great project, I'll be following with interest. The e39 is a nice car to drive and 'll be interested to hear your thoughts on how it drives after the conversion. Good luck :D

Yes , Is a nice car and i it seems better quality than e60, and more reliable. I had e60 so I know , I sold him .

First I wanted to put warp 11 on direct drive. But I change my mine and I will put it on the gearbox. I think motor will last longer and starts won't be with high Amperage. And it is safer with clutch. Car will be about 1.6-1.7 t .
I'm not sure about that , so I want to hear your opinion. I didn't find controller yet.
TNX

mfox said:
First I wanted to put warp 11 on direct drive. But I change my mine and I will put it on the gearbox. I think motor will last longer and starts won't be with high Amperage. And it is safer with clutch. Car will be about 1.6-1.7 t .
I'm not sure about that , so I want to hear your opinion. I didn't find controller yet.
TNX

Should be OK we did a Hilux with gearbox and Warp 9 thats about 1500 kg it goes OK.

Dont forget DC motors dont like to sit at hills using the throttle to stop them rolling back.

Cheers Kiwi

jonescg said:
.....We have ordered a module from ebay, but won't be here in Oz for a long time. We have to do our research from Google in the meantime ;)

jonescg ....have you seen this...
http://skie.net/skynet/projects/tesla/view_post/20_Pics+and+Info:+Inside+the+Tesla+100kWh+Battery+Pack

Yeah, and I eventually found a cooling equipment manufacturer who makes these:
http://www.kaweller.com/battery-cooling-aluminum-cold-plate/
Scroll down and you will find something which looks very similar... :)

I purchase another gearbox from 2.8 engine with only 120 000 km , I bought electrical stering pump and get some visual accessories , M sterring wheel . It wont past on PFL models but with some adaptation will fit :)

VMBK0g8.jpg

n70Gnsz.jpg

Qytwxo5.jpg

The wheel is mounted :)

Now is this a different car :)

I was needing to do some adaptation because wheel is from FL and my car is PFL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP1yynVGRZw&t=3s

9TalJJP.jpg

New controller has arrive :D

Z1k HV will fit perfectly :)

2R20j0l.jpg

Hello, I wasn't active for some time because of other obligations , and didn't have money to work on the car. Now is in progress.
I Bough M fenders and car is going to paintshop in two months. Is really difficult by us to find some good paintshop to paint whole car.

wtGS0HP.jpg

jmk8Z9c.jpg

b2rtnPL.jpg

9afcGVW.jpg

6v8x3QS.jpg

h0VZg8t.jpg

TFiIrfN.jpg

qd0pPLY.jpg

XgTOYx6.jpg

F3tiuXA.jpg

Car is now at the paintshop.

As you maybe know that I made mennekes type 2 for charging on charging stations
https://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169193

Now I'm making mennekes FEMALE type 2 , by now goes pretty good, and type 2 male that goes on car for charging . OEM type 2 are expencive and those industrial 3 phasis are not so easy to mount. Need to make holder, this one is shorter, so there is not problem with space and it is wery easy to make control for not to ignite the car when is pluged on cabel, wheather has electricity or not .
I brought 3D printing on a new level . With no cracking on layers so easy as before. So Im able to make female this time :D

XS9FM7J.jpg

oklvRDB.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32A-IEC62196-2-European-standard-inlet-socket-1m-UL-cable-Three-phase-IEC-EV-side-Type/32797730729.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000014.4.4c7f4b65cvnJ2n&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreOtherSeller&scm=1007.13338.106568.000000000000000&scm_id=1007.13338.106568.000000000000000&scm-url=1007.13338.106568.000000000000000&pvid=2adb9e79-e2d3-4855-9d3e-1fa958d13762

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/IEC-62196-2-male-female-charger-ev-charging-connector-plug-electric-vehicle-charge-socket-For-32amp/32734466361.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000014.7.1aa747fbnz0d6T&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreOtherSeller&scm=1007.13338.106568.000000000000000&scm_id=1007.13338.106568.000000000000000&scm-url=1007.13338.106568.000000000000000&pvid=464ec951-b680-4d27-af3b-cc064ebc28f5

They are not that expensive.
And I certainly wouldn't trust 3D printing over injection moulding.

Back