Video- Tesla P90DL and P100DL vs Kawasaki Ninja

MitchJi

10 MW
https://www.teslarati.com/sport-bike-races-ludicrous-tesla-model-s-p100d-p90dl/

A new video posted by a Kawazaki Ninja sport bike owner under the YouTube channel BreakingMoto reveals yet another run-in with a Tesla Model S. Having learned the hard way just 1-year prior that Tesla always wins, the sport bike owner engages in a seemingly random street battle against another Tesla for a second chance at victory.

This time, the biker is back with a larger and tuned 1000cc 2010 ZX10R, upgraded from a race-ready 2008 ZX6R that proved useless when it came to out drag racing a previous generation “Classic” Model S with nose cone. However, there’s just one problem. Their choice encounter with the Tesla this time around proved to be with a Ludicrous-enabled Tesla. And, not just with one, but two: a P100DL and P90DL.

Watch as the Kawazaki Ninja attempts to race a pair of Ludicrous Tesla Model S from a rolling start.

Hint: The race ends up to be a battle between Model S P100D vs Model S P90DL.

[youtube]vep3GSXBGfs[/youtube]

But for price, the Teslas flunk the 'too good to be true' test.

I LOVED that video!! Thanks for sharing!

gogo said:

Speak for yourself, the price of non-Tesla/ev cars and bikes driving around is extinction of the human species.

Anything that burns something in this atmosphere to operate is a cost unfathomably beyond money.

I want to see the Tesla P100DL's drive system and some more power dense batteries packed into a sub 2500-lb AWD race car with a CdA of under 0.4 m^2. The Model S is a lard ass, as is the Rimmac, and they're both too big to get a decently low frontal area to go with their decent but still higher than necessary mid 0.2-range drag coefficients.

In any event, those videos showcase just the very edge of what this technology is capable of. Soon we will run into traction limitations and probably not get sub 1 second 0-60 times with streetable DOT compatible tires. The P100DL does the deed in what, 2.5 seconds? It still doesn't quite compare to the Zombie 222... which would be a very interesting race. I'm wondering what the next generation Tesla Roadster will bring...

You'll never get below 2 second times with street tires. You can't go faster than the tires can grip. The theoretical fastest time of a vehicle is the 60-0 time. You can't get faster than that. Nowadays I think they should start reporting 0-80 or 0-100, as the 2 second times don't tell enough.

gogo said:
I suspect that's what the Ninja rider thought - at least until he experienced what was true.

dirkdiggler said:
You'll never get below 2 second times with street tires. You can't go faster than the tires can grip. The theoretical fastest time of a vehicle is the 60-0 time. You can't get faster than that. Nowadays I think they should start reporting 0-80 or 0-100, as the 2 second times don't tell enough.

While it is true that you can't accelerate/brake faster than the tires can grip, I'm not so sure of your numbers.

The street legal Corvette in the link below runs sub 7s in the 1/4 mile and gets under a 1.2 second 60' time with street tires. Looking at the launch, I'm fairly certain it's 0-60 mph time is well under two seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFtx_Ag6NxM

John Wayland's "White Zombie" EV conversion can do 0-60 mph in 1.8 seconds on street legal tires as well. He does cheat a bit by lowering the pressure at the drag strip in order to do this though. It's also rear wheel drive and has roughly half the traction that it theoretically could have if it instead had all wheel drive.

http://www.plasmaboyracing.com/whitezombie.php

Also, I don't think tire technology is the best it is going to ever be, either. In the 1950s, there were engineers claiming we'd never have cars go faster than 12 second 1/4 miles due to limitations in tire technology. We all can observe today that this limitation did not really exist.

That 2 second limitation you mention is probably true for any DOT compliant tire used in an existing production car from the showroom floor. But with that being said, there is a niche aftermarket catering to street-legal drag cars, where factors such as tire longevity, cost, and usability during inclement weather aren't important considerations in the tire's design even though the tires can still be certified as "street legal."

I'm sure liveforphysics will eventually give us his two cents on the issue as well.

liveforphysics said:

gogo said:

Speak for yourself, the price of non-Tesla/ev cars and bikes driving around is extinction of the human species.

Anything that burns something in this atmosphere to operate is a cost unfathomably beyond money.

Giant +1 to that...

Voltron said:
liveforphysics said:

gogo said:

Giant +1 to that...
Let me rephrase; Teslas seem too good to be true, except for the price.
-----------
I never said anything about ICE vehicles.

Back