Need advise (Newbie)

Geege33708

100 µW
Ok here is the scenario- I have been an avid ebikekit.com fan for years, Jason Krafte and the tech guys are super. My problem has been that I am now on a tandem trike with my wife and it is just to much weight for the spoked wheels to handle. I decided to jump ship and go with GoldenMotors.ca I went with the cast aluminum motor/wheel combination and so far it has held up well. It took me awhile to figure out the spaghetti type controller and after taping all the wires up it looks good (homemade:) . The exposure to the elements has me concerned. The ebikekit controllers have always been packaged neat and away from the elements.
Does anyone know how I would hook up one of these controllers up to my Magic Pie 2. I have all the bells and whistles on the Golde Motor, but I don't need cruise control. The reverse is pretty cool though, I am looking for advice, Thanks, Geege

Attachments

• sm3.jpg
    sm3.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 571
  • sm1.jpg
    sm1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 571
  • sm2.jpg
    sm2.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 571
There's no universal connector for every motor. Each manufacturer has their own thing going and almost always you can't plug manufacturer A's stuff into manufacturer B's stuff. The easiest way is to use your own connectivity but that involves soldering. The second easiest way is to take pictures of all your connectors and ask people "hey what's this connector called" then attempt to order something with the exact matching connectivity.

You can make things real hard on yourself by ordering a "normal" speed controller. You will have 8 phase sequencing wires that need to wired perfectly or your e-bike motor or it won't spin. Make things easy on yourself and get a sensorless speed controller (at the expense of your e-bike needing to roll about an inch or two before you can apply the throttle) and do your own connectivity. A "sensorless" controller will have six wires, three fat ones, and three little ones + your battery wire.

Your fat wires are called "phase wires" and you should see 3 similarly fatty wires coming out of your motor. Connect them together any way you please. The result will be either A) the motor spins forward, or B) the motor spins backward. If it spins backward just swap two of the phase wires around.

Your skinny wires are called "throttle wires". Typically you get a black one, a red one, and a colored one (white/yellow/green/blue). Black= negative, Red= positive, colored= signal. Some manufactures are jerks and the coloring is positive= firetruck red, negative= brownish red, signal = colored. Your throttle should have similar colored wires.

How do you connect wires together once you get the "pinout" matched up one might ask (if you are following this far)? Getcha a soldering iron and watch a youtube video on soldering how-to. You can of course hard solder them together if you want, but I instead suggest jumping on e-bay and ordering some of these:
Throttle connectors: 3pin JST-SM
Phase connectors: "4mm bullet" or HXT 4mm
battery connectors: XT90-S Antispark (you'll have to solder a XT-90 to your battery too)

but really any connector that allows you connect two wires together will work. Good luck!

Back