Get a charge out of Yellowstone, do ya?

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
Hehe... ES Bible "Search found 84 matches: +Yellowstone". Again:

brand.gif

Yellowstone Supervolcano Could Power Electric Cars of the Future:
https://www.wired.com/story/yellowstone-supervolcano-could-power-electric-cars-of-the-future

Starts:
Electric cars and smartphones of the future could be powered by supervolcanoes like Yellowstone after scientists discovered that ancient deposits within them contain huge reservoirs of lithium—a chemical element used to make lithium-ore batteries, supplies of which are increasingly dwindling.

... and ends:
Lead author Thomas Benson added: “We’ve had a gold rush, so we know how, why and where gold occurs, but we never had a lithium rush. The demand for lithium has outpaced the scientific understanding of the resource, so it’s essential for the fundamental science behind these resources to catch up.”

Maybe Thomas might read up on lithium:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium

The total lithium content of seawater is very large and is estimated as 230 billion tonnes, where the element exists at a relatively constant concentration of 0.14 to 0.25 parts per million (ppm), or 25 micromolar; higher concentrations approaching 7 ppm are found near hydrothermal vents.

:roll:

While the global known supplies might be sufficient to meet our needs, the more sources we can explore the more options we have in terms of how we extract it. You can find at least trace amounts of almost anything in seawater for example, and there's alot of seawater on the planet. The amount of gold in the ocean is probably quite substantial, but we don't generally mine gold from the ocean, it's not worth it. But as of now that's essentially how we extract lithium, from brine pools via evaporation followed by chemical separation. A source with higher concentrations that involves less energy input could lower both the environmental and economic costs, making large scale use of lithium more practical.

What is a Lithium-ore battery? And exactly how would one extract deposits from a magma reservoir?

fechter said:
What is a Lithium-ore battery?

GUESSING it's the term "ore" misused? Here for example "lithium ore" from March this year:

Lithium is the latest hot metal commodity, but investor fever could be cooling:
http://business.financialpost.com/c...ling/wcm/2b06233b-a044-4a98-bbc2-2a7810ea0ed1

Includes:
Montreal-based Critical Elements Corp., whose Rose lithium ore project in Quebec offers investors a lower-risk jurisdiction than South America, is promising production by 2021 and a one-year return of more than 400 per cent.

fechter said:
What is a Lithium-ore battery? And exactly how would one extract deposits from a magma reservoir?

I would assume lithium ore would refer specifically to that extracted from such mined minerals as spodumene, petalite, lepidolitee. Extracted from salt water brine would not be lithium ore. But that's just an idea.

My boggy DSL won't open this, so I can only guess this covers the extraction. But I don't understand the whole thing anyway, so I wouldn't know if this is any different than from using sodium carbonate in water, etc. http://www.minsocam.org/ammin/AM63/AM63_970.pdf

Dauntless said:
My boggy DSL won't open this, so I can only guess this covers the extraction. But I don't understand the whole thing anyway, so I wouldn't know if this is any different than from using sodium carbonate in water, etc. http://www.minsocam.org/ammin/AM63/AM63_970.pdf

Starts:
American Mineralogist, Volume 63, pages 970-980, 1978
Petrogenesis of lithium-rich pegmatites
David B. Stewart
U. S. Geological Survey
Reston, Virginia 22092

Abstract
The experimentally determined liquidus of the system NaAlSi3O8(Ab)-SiO2(Qz)-LiAlSiO4(Eu)-H2O at 2 kbar pH2O has a eutectic near Ab34Qz50Eu16 weight percent at 640C+- 10'C. The field boundary of albite and quartz is depressed nearly
l00oC from the Ab-Qz-H2O sideline by saturation in Eu component; the field boundary between albite and lithium minerals
varies little in Li2O content (19+- 3percent Eu) between the eutectic and the Ab-Eu-H2O sideline. Liquidus temperatures
rise very steeply as Qz increases in the quartz field. The field boundaries indicate that pegmatite magma will crystallize feldspar and quartz and concentrate lithium in the remaining magma. Similar relations have been observed for the Or-
Qz-Eu-H2O system by Munoz (1971). Petalite will form if the field boundary is reached at high temperatures and low pressures; spodumene forms at lower temperatures and higher pressures.

Can't vouch for correct spelling of bits as spellcheck may misbehave where stuff "written in Greek". :)

fechter said:
And exactly how would one extract deposits from a magma reservoir?
Poke at the volcano until it blows up, then collect the spewed out remains. ;)

" . . . .Liquidus of the system NaAl. . . ." Sodium Bicarbonate in water, if I'm not mistaken. What do WE need to know about how its done? We only need to know how to charge them without blowing up. My knowledge is still a bit short there.

Yeah, nice about volcano's over mines, you don't go to it, it comes to you. About as hot as a charging accident, but some of you have experience there.

amberwolf said:
fechter said:
And exactly how would one extract deposits from a magma reservoir?
Poke at the volcano until it blows up, then collect the spewed out remains. ;)

Kind of what I was thinking. If you drill into a magma plume, it will come spewing out. It might be hard to stop.

If Yellowstone ever blows, we won't have to worry about N. Korea, it will (not if, but when) pretty much end all life as we know it on earth! I'm close enough to go in the first blast, you all will have to wait for the after effects. Sleep tight.

Back