218mph electric motorcycle is legit.

dapuma

1 mW
I found this while misspelling a website name, but on the website, they claim to have the fastest electric motorcycle at 218mph. I was wondering if it is legitimate. I do know they have a lot of videos, but if it was that special, I would have probably heard of it. What do you think?

electricmotorsports.com

dapuma said:
I found this while misspelling a website name, but on the website, they claim to have the fastest electric motorcycle at 218mph. I was wondering if it is legitimate. I do know they have a lot of videos, but if it was that special, I would have probably heard of it. What do you think?

electricmotorsports.com

It has a certificate from Bonniville. And they are building a faster one.

97m/s is 218mph / 351kph is practical 8)

What would it feel like going that fast and hitting a bee or fly on your forehead. On yahoo some random person said 10th of a gram is the weight of a bee.

Riding over 100 mph is objectively unpleasant. I can't even imagine how someone who'd already ridden a motorcycle much faster than that would want to go back and ride much faster yet. It makes me think of the nincompoop dudes who listen to damagingly loud music or eat absurdly hot peppers for no reason-- except that loud music and hot peppers won't kill you.

Hint to those dudes: None of us are impressed. Really.

Speak for yourself... I do think its impressive, esp if it wakes up a new generation of potential ev converts to the fact that giving up the polluting doesn't have to mean giving up performance.

And I don't think you get too many forehead bees with a full face helmet behind a full fairing on a dry lakebed 30 miles from any significant vegetation.

Some quick quotes from an interview about the record run..

Loz: So it's pulling like a monster, even at those speeds.

Yeah. Even at over 200 miles an hour, it's accelerating at pretty close to the same rate it does at 100. We couldn't get the throttle above 50 percent until we were at 94 mph. Even at full throttle above 94, it lit the back tire up a couple of times.

Loz: You've got a brave man on that bike. Who's riding it for you?

Jim Hoogerhyde, the guy that's been doing all the stuff at Bonneville for us. The amazing thing is, you can datalog his throttle, and he didn't even let off a full percent. He just breathed on it less than a single percent to get it to hook back up, and then he was right back into it again. And it lit up again, and he breathed on it that 1 percent and just pinned it again. (Laughs) My mind just wouldn't think that way, you know?

Loz: What sort of things are you changing to bring the power up?

The big thing is current, but you also change the timing of the magnetic flux. A lot of small parameters, trying to get everything as tuned up and happy as we can. But the big one is current.

Loz: You mean just purely trying to suck more power out of the battery?

Yeah. The batteries are not even close to their limit, but being able to take that DC power and convert it to AC power and control it, and not let all the smoke out of the electronics if you get something wrong. We have to kind of inch up on it a bit at a time. It's a lot of power, so when things go wrong, they go wrong in a big way, and pretty fast.

I was on the Lightning team in 2011 when we did the 218.

{from: [major post_id=826739 time=1385503469 user_id=31634]

Lightning ran as a partial streamliner (APS) and set the SCTA record at 215.960 mph at Bonneville in 2011 Speed Week. The record still stands and it was the first electric powered 2 wheel vehicle to record a verified 200 mph or faster run. That was historic.

file.php

file.php

}

Record still stands. Paul Thede was our rider.

Regards,

major

Technically, it's a great achievement. I can relate to that viscerally from my years at a private space program.

But land speed records are so 20th century. Like chlorinated hydrocarbons, beauty pageants, and tactical nuclear weapons, yes they still exist, but they're not really what we need to be doing.

Well there is what is needed and what is wanted. And the latter often take dominance in my life. Its like when riding motorcycle. Sure we tell our wifes we will take it easy. But as soon as that road opens up the throttle seems to automatically go to WOT. It is unsafe, uncalled for, and should be done on track days and private properties only. But the male brain seems to have some sort of defect. We can't stop pushing the boundaries. We love the high following such a ride. Or whatever it is that causes such non rational behavior. And the automakers and motorcycle manufacturers have made a great living upon this fact for more then a hundred years. And they will continue to do so, because if given a choice we will choose the rush over sanity. We just love the speed and the feeling of control.

Back