A 700w solar powered elf trike and RV trailer

General Discussion about electric vehicles.
ThinkFab   10 µW

10 µW

A 700w solar powered elf trike and RV trailer

Post by ThinkFab » Mar 24 2018 4:30pm

This is a solar trailer I built last year for a friend I met, and talked with at standing rock last winter for no more than 20 minutes. The trailer is similar to what I am concentrating on building this year, but I have much larger plans for this next version.

https://wizardmetalworks.carbonmade.com/

The main difference between this trailer and the next generation trailer being;
-this trailer is not very aerodynamic, but as we were working with a 3-4 week schedule, aero was not permitted due to time constraints.
-this trailer is larger than what I intend on building this year, due to the fact that it is James' home wherever he travels.
-this trailer does not power its own motor, but rather the motors on the elf (this elf has been fitted with a second motor and 3 batteries).
-this trailer weighs in at just over 100lbs, and the next trailer weight goal will be less than 60lbs.

I should mention the trailer has undergone a revision since the last posting on the website, and now supports an additional 200w of panels, and 3 of those panels now have the ability to tilt up to roughly 65 degrees to catch more sun.
building solar powered bike trailers for those looking to get away from the drag of paying for transportation fuel. wizardmetalworks.corbonmade.com

Ed Waldrep   1 µW

1 µW

Re: A 700w solar powered elf trike and RV trailer

Post by Ed Waldrep » May 10 2018 5:25am

Wow, small word it is, I saw this vehicle in Barstow, CA a few weeks ago, I saw it pass by when coming out of a burger joint and caught up to him to inquire about it. He told me the output of the panels and I counted 500 watts worth but he was short on additional details, I guess I was bugging him. Neato.