Broken motor wires

Rpeter12

1 µW
Just got my rear wheel back from the shop after having in dished for my hub motor. The shop had put the wheel in my bike but failed to tighten anything down. I connected all my wires and hit the wheel throttle by accident and the rear wheel spun off and broke all the wires leading into the hub motor. No torque arms as they apparently are back ordered. I now have the mostly apart but still have one cover plate that I think isolates the wire fixation points. Was able to get one of the three screws out but the other two are in there to stay. Must have locktite on them. Any ideas how to get in there? And once I do, how hard to make the connections? The wires sheared off right at the axle so there is nothing to work on on the outside.

You need to take all the screws out of the two side covers and then wedge the covers up using screwdrivers and / or some kind of puller. You may only need to pull off the cover on the side where the motor phase extensions are connected to the magnet wire. So desolder them and add new ones, taking care not to get the wire too hot or spill solder into the motor. Take care not to bang your stator around inside the magnet ring any more than necessary. A little bit shouldn't hurt too much.

If you're unlucky your motor could have suffered more damage and need extensive repair, which should be obvious once you get the cover off.

I have the case opened up except for a 2inch diameter cover which is held in place with three screws. Oneisnowout but the other two are in so tight I am unable to remove them. They are Phillips head and of coarse now they are totally messed up. Used new Phillips bits of different sizes with no luck. Think they are in with locktite on them. That’s my big trouble right now.

Rpeter12 said:
I have the case opened up except for a 2inch diameter cover which is held in place with three screws. One is now outn but the other two are in so tight I am unable to remove them. They are Phillips head and of coarse now they are totally messed up. Used new Phillips bits of different sizes with no luck. Think they are in with locktite on them. That’s my big trouble right now.

It sounds like one of the geared motors that has the large diameter bearing on one side that the wires pass thru instead of the axle? If so, you might need to get an impact driver... If that doesn't work then it's drill off the bolts heads time.

As a guy who has a shop I get that they just made this a money losing job... But is the shop that did it not stepping up to fix it? Not that you shouldn't have double checked the axle nuts, but a shop shouldn't be counting on you to do that either.

PS... Impact drivers hammer the bit as its twisting to keep it set in the screw head.. they make manual ones you hit with a hammer, and electric ones that look like an electric drill ( but work different inside)

--Screw remover

--Dremel a slot and unscrew (careful with this you can split the head off if you dremel too far and end up worse than you started

--weld to the screw head and unscrew that way

--vice grips around the head to get it moving

Back