Controller data logging and OSD

e-vektor

100 W
I am not sure if there is already another post about data logging and OSD, I only saw this topic at the electric aircraft section.

I developed a CANopen to OBDII adapter with bluetooth (ELM327 protocol) to be used with Torque App, Race Chrono or similar (OSD and Telemetry). I am going to develop also specific adapters for "xDS" protocols (Suzuki SDS, Honda HDS and Kawa KDS), which use K-line instead of CANopen.

[youtube]A2WRlnKMZ-I[/youtube]

OBDII_simulator_PCB.jpg

Hillhater said:
Member " nuxland." Has a very nice data logging and display system on his ekart ..
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=68543

yes, but as far as I know it is something he customised for his kart. The point of this is that having a very small PCB (about 30 x 30 mm) you can use your mobile phone to do all job (please let me know if I am wrong)

I am using ASI Controllers with built in bluetooth and the mobile app for data logging and it exports as a excel file.

It can data log virtually every parameter including temp and rpm. Throttle and regen position.

[youtube]8zJVHaNqXFY[/youtube]

that's great! but does this app work only for ASI Controllers?

evolutiongts said:
I am using ASI Controllers with built in bluetooth and the mobile app for data logging and it exports as a excel file.

It can data log virtually every parameter including temp and rpm. Throttle and regen position.

[youtube]8zJVHaNqXFY[/youtube]

Yes, unfortunately it only works for ASI controllers as It gets real time data and feed from the controller via bluetooth and while riding.

I finally got some time to record a video with my OBDII simulator adapted to the CYCLONE e-bike kit (mine is the 3000W model, same as yours). Cyclone controller sends a 16 byte frame 4 times per second at 9600 baud. My simulator reads all frames and stores the last values, and attends to the mobile requests (Torque App or similar). If anyone needs more info please let me know.

OBDII_simulator_PCB.jpg

The video is just a quick test, with a mobile holder that only allows vertical position, while Torque App only allows horizonal position :?

[youtube]0WFeuFhMTIU[/youtube]

The data frame provide 4 basic fields: speed (with errors when decelerating), bat voltage, bat current and controller temp
I tried to get bat. power (volt * current) but Torque app needs lots of attempts until it works, and most times does not store the scales limits. For instance max current is 40A but the gauge always restarts to 100A (...)

OBDII_simulator.png

Supported devices:

* Cyclone (serial link)
* Suzuki SDS protocol
* Honda HDS (not tested yet)
* Kawasaki KDS (not tested yet)

* CANopen (for Curtis, SEVCON and others)
* CAN listener (for BMS or similar systems)

evolutiongts said:
Yes, unfortunately it only works for ASI controllers as It gets real time data and feed from the controller via bluetooth and while riding.

Got my test board hooked up and talking to ZEVA BMS. Just reading 4 cells right now on a 12V pack. Haven't got the rounding right, but it's reading each cell individually. Also want to get Temperature and some of the BMS items there, but it's reading!

Need to work on the Sevcon some more. I couldn't get it to read a week ago, but need to re-visit now that I can confirm it's transmitting and receiving from the BMS.

My hope is to get Jose's board working with both so we can display items on a tablet or Phone.

View attachment 1

after too long waiting for PCBs we already have the definitive version, with DC/DC converter (24v to 5V) and two CAN inputs (same bus), one non-isolated for SEVCON/Curtis, and the other Isolated for BMS (sorry for the bad hand soldering, production parts will be done at oven)

OBDII_prototype.jpg

(Note that this is going to be distributed by frodus)

I'm super excited we are working together on this. Testing so far has gone well. Should be great for those with Sevcon and the BMS we're going to start selling.

@Frodus,

Last week i set up a zeva bms BMS16v2 for use with a home energy storage station working with a LUX Powertek LXP3600AC ac coupled inverter.

The battery is made up with a 7s3p using nissan leaf cells.
All is working beutifully, and the BMS in my opinion is very good, easy to set up and install.

I am very interested in what you are doing, as my battery is in the basement, and Ideally, i would like to monitor the bms form our living area using something like an arduino and wifi or bluetooth signal to a tablet in the living room area.
All i would want to see is the same data that is currenlty ent via can to the zeva bms monitor.

I have had emails with Ian at zeva about the possiblilty of sending the battery candata via wireless to a tablet or pc, but he may be abit busy to develop this type of addon,

I have his can commands data, and have even thought of using the torque app and maybe design user specific pid`s but i have no experience with this, and Ian says his can command data is different to the type of can that is in torque.

Have you managed to get his data transmitted via wifi thro an arduino or anything?

Thanks,
Anthony

As I don't have too much time to reply to requests I uploaded the schematic and gerber files so you can build it yourselves.
Note that the MCU LPC11C24 is now obsolete, but it still can be found at Aliexpress in small quantities

www.sportdevices.com/uploads/pics/CAN-OBDII_schematic.png
www.sportdevices.com/uploads/pics/gerbers_v2.zip
www.sportdevices.com/uploads/pics/OBDII_populated.png

once the PCB is done and assembled I can share the compiled firmware, but not the source code

Of course the MCU (with internal CAN transceiver) could be replaced by a LPC11C14 (which still is on production) with any external CAN transceiver, but again I don't have too much time for that, to rebuild the PCB file, gerbers, etc. Probably the firmware will not work directly with LPC11C14, but it needs very little changes. Contact me if you are interested

Back