Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

General Discussion about electric vehicles.
Sopheus   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 11
Joined: Jan 14 2020 9:05pm

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by Sopheus » May 11 2021 1:44am

Hello everyone,

I have got myself a QS motor and Votol controller and have a couple of questions regarding their configuration.

Firstly my specs:

Battery: 48v 45aH (supports continuous delivery of 50a)
Motor: QS-Motor 1200W 48v magnets height - 27H; 28 magnet pairs
Controller: Votol EM-50s - supports up to 55A, 72v, 1200-2000w motors

My current controller settings as follow:
screenshot.1.jpg
screenshot.1.jpg (113.78 KiB) Viewed 811 times
screenshot.2.jpg
screenshot.2.jpg (157.18 KiB) Viewed 811 times
screenshot.3.jpg
screenshot.3.jpg (114 KiB) Viewed 811 times
1st speed
https://youtu.be/_dMACAwrANg

2nd speed
https://youtu.be/djvtXbACtq4

3rd speed
https://youtu.be/x0m6lIJ_8aE

My problem are:

1. It seems that the speed I have on my speedometer is far from the reality. I have tried to run on full speed with GPS on, and usually it is +10-15 km/h difference and it is actually feels that my bike goes faster than it is displayed on speedometer. Any way to fix this through controller settings? I have tried to change "Out-put" settings to "Hall speedometter" and back, to no avail.

2. It seems that I have high final speed, but my torque is somewhat, erm, not too weak, but kinda too soft/gentle (?) for my liking, it just takes a little bit long while motor gets up to speed. Without load, according to speedometer it goes over 100 (3rd video) on 3rd speed, but according to GPS with load (me - 85 kg + bike weight) the quickest I got is 62km/h on flat surface with 60-100% charge. Is there anything I should change optimize in my current settings to get better torque and final speed?
Last edited by Sopheus on May 19 2021 4:10am, edited 1 time in total.

Goldikc   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 4
Joined: Jan 02 2021 10:11am

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by Goldikc » May 13 2021 9:19am

Привет , есть votol-150sp и 138 3000w мотор, мне кажется он настроен под em-100 , у меня bms с блютузом и я могу видеть сколько батарея отдаёт , в обычном режиме да 80 A, а в спорт режиме до 100A, может кто нибудь поделиться правильными настройками или bin файлом

Millhouse_5   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 19
Joined: Nov 27 2020 6:58pm

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by Millhouse_5 » May 13 2021 11:59am

Millhouse_5 wrote:
Apr 22 2021 4:01am
Hello again everyone, I'm having some issues with my bike cutting out whenever I give it much more then half throttle. It turns off entirely and requires the breakers to be reset to get the controller back online. I hooked up my current meter and turns out that im pulling over 100a on my em100 so its shutting itself off. I have the Busbar current set to only 30A so clearly I am missing something. How do I actually limit the current on this thing so I dont have to watch my power meter more than watching the road.

Edit: I tried putting it into sport mode and using the current limiting values there, but nothing changed. I'm still pulling over 100 amps if i just leave it at 100% throttle. it usually cuts out once the current goes too high, then acts like its in limp mode for the next 5 minutes or so after its been reset.
Managed to fix my problem and thought I'd share

Turned out that the motor thought it was running in reverse. I noticed this when the display page showed my RPM as a negative number.
I switched the Yellow/Blue hall sensor check box and the (if i remember correctly) green blue phase wire check box and it then showed positive rpm.
After that the current limiter worked perfectly as advertised. So for all those wondering, reverse has no current or speed limiting features. It will simply pull power until it goes into a protection mode and shuts itself off.

leyva.ale   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 25
Joined: May 16 2020 11:25pm

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by leyva.ale » May 16 2021 8:37pm

Excelente!!! Interesting !! Thanks a lot for sharing

Enviado desde mi SM-N960U mediante Tapatalk


Stefanj.   10 µW

10 µW
Posts: 5
Joined: Aug 22 2018 9:00am

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by Stefanj. » May 17 2021 8:40am

Hey guys,
It's been a long time since I started this thread.
I'm amazed by how many responses came on this thread. I've read a lot of good info here but don't understand ever chinglish terms and there are too many posts to read everything(sorry)..

I recently picked up on my project with the old version votol em100.
At this moment my bike is running, I'm using the bare minimum of the controller(throttle, low brake and e-lock). Recently i've connected the lcd of my ant bms to have a speedo using the yellow hall wire with succes.
I now have ordered the handlebar controls of a z6(wich uses a votol controller) and a votol programming cable and they have almost arrived! Wanting to connect every function the controller has to offer. And want to talk about the wiring first before starting to check the programming.

Still want to connect:
-high brake/regen, I know that the purple wire needs to be connected to a positive but is it a 12v positive or B+? Does this switch needs to be a potentiometer or just a pulse switch? What settings do I need to adjust and what values do I put in?

-reverse, since it's a 2 wire plug just connect a switch?

-three gear, where do I start?

-sport mode, where do I start?

This thread has to many replies to even start to read them all, i've read a lot but can't finish the whole thread(I'm sorry, I'm lacking time and concentation). Please feel free to refer me to a earlier helpfull responses...

leyva.ale   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 25
Joined: May 16 2020 11:25pm

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by leyva.ale » May 18 2021 7:41am

I will try to do my best....

First, the high brake is connected to 12V trough a switch activated with the. Take lever or handle.

Reverse, sport mode and cruise mode are activated through switches to ground

Enviado desde mi SM-N960U mediante Tapatalk


Stefanj.   10 µW

10 µW
Posts: 5
Joined: Aug 22 2018 9:00am

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by Stefanj. » May 18 2021 8:16am

okay, thanks.
so hi brake connect to 12v through switch, no potentiometer like some sort of throttle on your left hand? how can I enable regen?
20s li-ion battery
2000w qs middrive motor in swing arm
votol em100
can you refer or quote a correct answer?

Sopheus   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 11
Joined: Jan 14 2020 9:05pm

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by Sopheus » May 18 2021 12:15pm

Sopheus wrote:
May 11 2021 1:44am
Hello everyone,

I have got myself a QS motor and Votol controller and have a couple of questions regarding their configuration.

Firstly my specs:

Battery: 48v 45aH (supports continuous delivery of 50a)
Motor: QS-Motor 1200W 48v magnets height - 27H
Controller: Votol EM-50s - supports up to 55A, 72v, 1200-2000w motors

My current controller settings as follow:
screenshot.1.jpg
screenshot.2.jpg
screenshot.3.jpg

1st speed
https://youtu.be/_dMACAwrANg

2nd speed
https://youtu.be/djvtXbACtq4

3rd speed
https://youtu.be/x0m6lIJ_8aE

My problem are:

1. It seems that the speed I have on my speedometer is far from the reality. I have tried to run on full speed with GPS on, and usually it is +10-15 km/h difference and it is actually feels that my bike goes faster than it is displayed on speedometer. Any way to fix this through controller settings? I have tried to change "Out-put" settings to "Hall speedometter" and back, to no avail.

2. It seems that I have high final speed, but my torque is somewhat, erm, not too weak, but kinda too soft/gentle (?) for my liking, it just takes a little bit long while motor gets up to speed. Without load, according to speedometer it goes over 100 (3rd video) on 3rd speed, but according to GPS with load (me - 85 kg + bike weight) the quickest I got is 62km/h on flat surface with 60-100% charge. Is there anything I should change optimize in my current settings to get better torque and final speed?
Anyone, please :cry:

leyva.ale   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 25
Joined: May 16 2020 11:25pm

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by leyva.ale » May 18 2021 12:52pm

Stefanj. wrote:okay, thanks.
so hi brake connect to 12v through switch, no potentiometer like some sort of throttle on your left hand? how can I enable regen?
20s li-ion battery
2000w qs middrive motor in swing arm
votol em100
can you refer or quote a correct answer?
No, votol controllers don't use variable regen function. Just on/off. The amount of regen is programmed by software

Enviado desde mi SM-N960U mediante Tapatalk


Paulflieg   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 37
Joined: Jan 11 2019 10:30am

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by Paulflieg » May 18 2021 1:38pm

Sopheus wrote:
May 18 2021 12:15pm
Sopheus wrote:
May 11 2021 1:44am
Hello everyone,

I have got myself a QS motor and Votol controller and have a couple of questions regarding their configuration.

Firstly my specs:

Battery: 48v 45aH (supports continuous delivery of 50a)
Motor: QS-Motor 1200W 48v magnets height - 27H
Controller: Votol EM-50s - supports up to 55A, 72v, 1200-2000w motors

My current controller settings as follow:
screenshot.1.jpg
screenshot.2.jpg
screenshot.3.jpg

1st speed
https://youtu.be/_dMACAwrANg

2nd speed
https://youtu.be/djvtXbACtq4

3rd speed
https://youtu.be/x0m6lIJ_8aE

My problem are:

1. It seems that the speed I have on my speedometer is far from the reality. I have tried to run on full speed with GPS on, and usually it is +10-15 km/h difference and it is actually feels that my bike goes faster than it is displayed on speedometer. Any way to fix this through controller settings? I have tried to change "Out-put" settings to "Hall speedometter" and back, to no avail.

2. It seems that I have high final speed, but my torque is somewhat, erm, not too weak, but kinda too soft/gentle (?) for my liking, it just takes a little bit long while motor gets up to speed. Without load, according to speedometer it goes over 100 (3rd video) on 3rd speed, but according to GPS with load (me - 85 kg + bike weight) the quickest I got is 62km/h on flat surface with 60-100% charge. Is there anything I should change optimize in my current settings to get better torque and final speed?
Anyone, please :cry:
Well, it's an em 50 and not an em 100/150, that's what we're talking about here, actually !? If the settings are transferable, fine! But who knows? Your SW version is very new .... However, your settings partly look like older SW. The "newer" controllers are set differently! Go back one page, there you can read it .. And from page 48, approx. Leave this HDC out! You have no entry for hand throttle? And how can that work? Only with computer remote control? Which speedometer is used? QS? Which wheel size? It is best to invest some time reading here ... It really helps .. Are you really in China? You won, you can ask the guys from qs or votol .. And all of us here, the answers continue to reveal. That would be nice
😏

Stefanj.   10 µW

10 µW
Posts: 5
Joined: Aug 22 2018 9:00am

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by Stefanj. » May 18 2021 2:26pm

leyva.ale wrote:
May 18 2021 12:52pm
Stefanj. wrote:okay, thanks.
so hi brake connect to 12v through switch, no potentiometer like some sort of throttle on your left hand? how can I enable regen?
20s li-ion battery
2000w qs middrive motor in swing arm
votol em100
can you refer or quote a correct answer?
No, votol controllers don't use variable regen function. Just on/off. The amount of regen is programmed by software

Enviado desde mi SM-N960U mediante Tapatalk
how do I determine what values I need to put in? I want to try and use the regen brake to a complete stop and regenerate as much as possible.

leyva.ale   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 25
Joined: May 16 2020 11:25pm

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by leyva.ale » May 18 2021 4:08pm

Stefanj. wrote:
leyva.ale wrote:
May 18 2021 12:52pm
Stefanj. wrote:okay, thanks.
so hi brake connect to 12v through switch, no potentiometer like some sort of throttle on your left hand? how can I enable regen?
20s li-ion battery
2000w qs middrive motor in swing arm
votol em100
can you refer or quote a correct answer?
No, votol controllers don't use variable regen function. Just on/off. The amount of regen is programmed by software

Enviado desde mi SM-N960U mediante Tapatalk
how do I determine what values I need to put in? I want to try and use the regen brake to a complete stop and regenerate as much as possible.
Usually between 15% -25% ... more than that is too much, very hard stop can be uncomfortable and the shaft and swingarm suffer

Enviado desde mi SM-N960U mediante Tapatalk


Sopheus   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 11
Joined: Jan 14 2020 9:05pm

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by Sopheus » May 19 2021 4:07am

Paulflieg wrote:
May 18 2021 1:38pm
Sopheus wrote:
May 18 2021 12:15pm
Sopheus wrote:
May 11 2021 1:44am
Hello everyone,

I have got myself a QS motor and Votol controller and have a couple of questions regarding their configuration.

Firstly my specs:

Battery: 48v 45aH (supports continuous delivery of 50a)
Motor: QS-Motor 1200W 48v magnets height - 27H
Controller: Votol EM-50s - supports up to 55A, 72v, 1200-2000w motors

My current controller settings as follow:
screenshot.1.jpg
screenshot.2.jpg
screenshot.3.jpg

1st speed
https://youtu.be/_dMACAwrANg

2nd speed
https://youtu.be/djvtXbACtq4

3rd speed
https://youtu.be/x0m6lIJ_8aE

My problem are:

1. It seems that the speed I have on my speedometer is far from the reality. I have tried to run on full speed with GPS on, and usually it is +10-15 km/h difference and it is actually feels that my bike goes faster than it is displayed on speedometer. Any way to fix this through controller settings? I have tried to change "Out-put" settings to "Hall speedometter" and back, to no avail.

2. It seems that I have high final speed, but my torque is somewhat, erm, not too weak, but kinda too soft/gentle (?) for my liking, it just takes a little bit long while motor gets up to speed. Without load, according to speedometer it goes over 100 (3rd video) on 3rd speed, but according to GPS with load (me - 85 kg + bike weight) the quickest I got is 62km/h on flat surface with 60-100% charge. Is there anything I should change optimize in my current settings to get better torque and final speed?
Anyone, please :cry:
Well, it's an em 50 and not an em 100/150, that's what we're talking about here, actually !? If the settings are transferable, fine! But who knows? Your SW version is very new .... However, your settings partly look like older SW. The "newer" controllers are set differently! Go back one page, there you can read it .. And from page 48, approx. Leave this HDC out! You have no entry for hand throttle? And how can that work? Only with computer remote control? Which speedometer is used? QS? Which wheel size? It is best to invest some time reading here ... It really helps .. Are you really in China? You won, you can ask the guys from qs or votol .. And all of us here, the answers continue to reveal. That would be nice
😏
HDC works automatically when you go downhill, no need for any switches or buttons, when you go down the hill and you within a certain range speed motor slows down when it about to exceed that set speed range. I am riding on the street, so this function is actually helpful and does not affect torque or final speed.

All settings are transferable, no matter what model of controller you use, it is about specifications - How many current/voltage controller supports and what hardware you have (motor+battery) - I provided all these above.

I am in China, but those guys from QS are reluctant to reply, same as for you. I have reached out to them using Chinese through Wechat (local messenger) and they treat me with silence each time.

andreika1986   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 3
Joined: May 20 2021 12:00am

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by andreika1986 » May 20 2021 12:40am

hello to all electric vehicle lovers! I recently had a problem with my controller votol 150. 2019 controller. I have burned out mosfet transistors in one phase. I replaced them and the controller worked. I rode for a week and they burned out again, but in a different phase. I changed the mosfet and after that the controller started to fall out into the "overcurrent" error. diagnostics showed that one of the phases of the lower arm does not work due to the punched leg of the microcontroller. so I ask for help. i want to change stm32f103c8t6 microcontroller, but i don't have microcontroller firmware. therefore I ask for help from experts with the firmware, more precisely with the (bin) file of the votol 150 firmware without the can bus. please give me the firmware. she has someone on the forum. i will flash the microcontroller and solder it and test it. :D :D :D
Attachments
IMG_20210426_160700[1].jpg
IMG_20210426_160700[1].jpg (3.27 MiB) Viewed 579 times
IMG_20210426_163238[1].jpg
IMG_20210426_163238[1].jpg (3.63 MiB) Viewed 579 times

andreika1986   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 3
Joined: May 20 2021 12:00am

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by andreika1986 » May 20 2021 1:53am

When connected to the setup program, it is defined as votol em50 SW 2.32 HW 1.13. Some settings and port configuration settings are not saved.

Stefanj.   10 µW

10 µW
Posts: 5
Joined: Aug 22 2018 9:00am

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by Stefanj. » May 21 2021 3:22pm

Hey Guys,
I'm still not programming yet, still trying to understand most of the program. I'm reading a lot in the manual and in this thread but still haven't finished it yet.
Let's add some more comments now, haha.

Does anybody know the meaning of the small checkboxes at the port settings page(IO-SW-LA-F-U-D)? I'm very curious about this page since it can change the functions of every wire op the 8cable plug(by my understanding). Is there a list of explinations of every 56 functions?
Most of the functions aren't completly readable...I won't use the white cable for speedometer since I'm using the signal directly from the hall sensor wires. Maybe there's another interresting function I can use the white cable for?...?

andreika1986   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 3
Joined: May 20 2021 12:00am

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by andreika1986 » May 23 2021 6:57am

у кого нибудь есть bin файл прошивки MCU контроллера votol em150 without can bus?

oldgx460   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 12
Joined: May 30 2021 7:29am

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by oldgx460 » Jun 10 2021 7:21am

TEAM,
HAS anyone got the EM 150 to work with the SURRON X (light bee)? I just bought two thinking someone has but now I’m guessing not.. please help! Thanks 😊

Irling   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 19
Joined: Oct 13 2020 1:19am

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by Irling » Jun 15 2021 11:28pm

Hi friends! Your help is needed again. For half a year I used the EM100S controller and it worked well, however I wanted more power and bought the EM150S. I received it yesterday and was unable to connect to my computer.
I've tried changing different software, swapping RX and TX but that doesn't help either. Any thoughts on this? I disassembled It looks very good with no damaged parts. When voltage is applied - I see 5 volts at the hall sensor connector, the low-voltage circuit is OK, what could be the problem?
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG (62.02 KiB) Viewed 272 times
photo_2021-06-16_12-02-29.jpg
photo_2021-06-16_12-02-29.jpg (158.61 KiB) Viewed 272 times
photo_2021-06-16_12-02-30 (2).jpg
photo_2021-06-16_12-02-30 (2).jpg (83.51 KiB) Viewed 272 times
photo_2021-06-16_12-02-30.jpg
photo_2021-06-16_12-02-30.jpg (136.66 KiB) Viewed 272 times
photo_2021-06-16_12-02-31.jpg
photo_2021-06-16_12-02-31.jpg (122.18 KiB) Viewed 272 times

Irling   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 19
Joined: Oct 13 2020 1:19am

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by Irling » Jun 16 2021 12:16am

andreika1986 wrote:
May 20 2021 12:40am
hello to all electric vehicle lovers! I recently had a problem with my controller votol 150. 2019 controller. I have burned out mosfet transistors in one phase. I replaced them and the controller worked. I rode for a week and they burned out again, but in a different phase. I changed the mosfet and after that the controller started to fall out into the "overcurrent" error. diagnostics showed that one of the phases of the lower arm does not work due to the punched leg of the microcontroller. so I ask for help. i want to change stm32f103c8t6 microcontroller, but i don't have microcontroller firmware. therefore I ask for help from experts with the firmware, more precisely with the (bin) file of the votol 150 firmware without the can bus. please give me the firmware. she has someone on the forum. i will flash the microcontroller and solder it and test it. :D :D :D
It looks like I also have a faulty microcontroller, or faulty software. Can anyone help me get the firmware on the EM150S :idea: :roll:

UPD

I checked the power supply of the microcontroller, BCC and VDD voltage is 3.2 V, but the LED does not blink. Perhaps the microcontroller is defective or the wrong firmware is installed. Has anyone tried copying the firmware directly from the controller? Is this possible, or is there copy protection?

squall333   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 16
Joined: Jun 17 2021 4:13pm

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by squall333 » Jun 17 2021 4:18pm

I just got the em150 with the 3kw swingarm kit.

I hooked up a 72v battery to the controller and I wired the grey/purple wire directly to the b+.

Is there any way to know the controller is on? I’m having difficulty connecting to it from my laptop using the app. It finds the com port but then won’t connect and gives the same error as the person above. Does the program work with windows 10?

Paulflieg   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 37
Joined: Jan 11 2019 10:30am

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by Paulflieg » Jun 18 2021 2:08am

squall333 wrote:
Jun 17 2021 4:18pm
I just got the em150 with the 3kw swingarm kit.

I hooked up a 72v battery to the controller and I wired the grey/purple wire directly to the b+.

Is there any way to know the controller is on? I’m having difficulty connecting to it from my laptop using the app. It finds the com port but then won’t connect and gives the same error as the person above. Does the program work with windows 10?
Have you already swapped RX and TX? Is it the CAN bus variant? Which connection cable? Original? Which software?

squall333   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 16
Joined: Jun 17 2021 4:13pm

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by squall333 » Jun 18 2021 6:22am

The cable has 4 wires
White
Black
Red
Blue

Seems like normal usb to me. I didn’t mess with any of the wires on the cable yet. I’ve tried just about every version of the software ever made in every mode and every baud rate

squall333   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 16
Joined: Jun 17 2021 4:13pm

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by squall333 » Jun 18 2021 12:14pm

Here’s my setup
Attachments
1FABDF24-7456-42E4-BE4C-3B4A2CAC7F68.jpeg
1FABDF24-7456-42E4-BE4C-3B4A2CAC7F68.jpeg (4.25 MiB) Viewed 201 times
2C4E207A-0258-444A-BB0F-0EC0759E1694.jpeg
2C4E207A-0258-444A-BB0F-0EC0759E1694.jpeg (3 MiB) Viewed 201 times
810A304F-C5EF-448B-B12F-0489192F3844.jpeg
810A304F-C5EF-448B-B12F-0489192F3844.jpeg (3.08 MiB) Viewed 201 times

User avatar
stan.distortion   100 W

100 W
Posts: 261
Joined: Jun 12 2019 12:53pm

Re: Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Post by stan.distortion » Jun 18 2021 4:26pm

Thanks to everyone who helped out with this thread, final got around to giving a 138 70 and em150 their first run today and everything went great. Totally arse-clenching after all the horror stories of weird behaviour, comms issues and settings problems but they ran smooth on the settings as delivered, no problems connecting up and the changes to settings worked ok almost all times but needed a bit of persistence with a few (needed a few retrys to get out of "P"). Minor thing to add, the app ran fine for me under wine on linux, just needed to link ttyUSBx to a COM port with regedit.
Projects indirectly sponsored by https://www.dash.org/

Post Reply