Convert Magic Pie 3 to External controller

steverichab

10 mW
Hi
My wife and I have enjoyed our 48 Volt, 1000 W, 27" MP 3's with Cycle Analyst since 2013 and last year my wife's internal controller failed and I have been unable to find a replacement(I tired the "Universal" from Golden Motor Canada but it does not fit). This MP 3 is one with the original flat aluminum cover.

This year the second internal controller failed. Now we really miss both bikes and would like to know:

1) Is there a source for this original replacement controllers other than Golden Motor Canada(Gary)?
2) If no direct replacement is available what would be a recommended external controller ( I have the wiring diagram for the harness we got from Golden Motor Canada) so I am sure I can get this converted.

Price is a big consideration as we are retired on a fixed income but dependability is critical.

Thanks in advance for any advice on either of these two options

Are these Magic Pie 3 motors direct drive or geared, I am just curious is all.

The internal controllers are a very bad idea. Its preferred to have external as controllers by themselves get hot, and motors by themselves get hot. Both in a confined space is super duper hot and no good, no good at all.

Any ole controller would do. But I see your dilemma, soldering wires is easy, the big phase ones are easy, just takes more heat and more solder, so you need a soldering iron. Radio Shack in the USA if its still around, may have gone bankrupt. Canada has TheSource, they probably sell soldering irons. Staples online probably would, Bestbuy online would, Newegg online would. Of course ebay, but tbh, I wouldnt trust the actual solder purchased on ebay, soldering iron I would as long as it works.

Lots of success with ebay seller hksunwin
There is an entire thread on hksunwins controller.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71128&hilit=sunwin#p1073402
The basic info is
- You can change the LVC easily with a soldering iron by taking off a dab of solder and soldering in the preset LVC you want
- You can change the LVC to anything you want, by unsoldering SMT resistor, soldering in a changable resistive value component called a potentiometer, very common
- Lots modify the shunts to achieve more power, but over all as they come from seller, they are powerful.
- They are cheap and reliable.
- Learn function for phase/hall combo
- Cruise
- All the other typical features, I cant remember them.
- Lots of people have more then two, some for spares. I have 3 or 4.

Thanks Markz,

I have located a 40 Amp controller(2000 watts at 48 volts) from Luna Cycle in California that maps well to the Golden Motor Magic Pie 3(MP3) motor wiring diagram which is a direct drive rear hub. As the MP3 often reaches 25 amps this will give me a lot of head room. It also has cruse and similar features(maybe not the learn) to the hksunwin. At $15, the hksunwin is a third the price of the Luna but.....

I am not interested in the science project the the hksunwin would involve. I am not familiar with the TLA's (three letter acronyms) you refer to below, LVC or SMT, but at 400 watts(8-9 Amps) a hack would absolutely be necessary.

I really appreciate your input, best regards,
Steve

LVC= low voltage cutoff

SMT= surface mount technology, i.e components that dont have little wires sticking out for mounting thru holes in a circuit board but mount with a little blob of solder directly to the surface of the board instead.

Just something to consider; is that Luna controller programmable? I've used an Infineon type controller on my Magic Pie 2 and it has worked great. The controller has been rock solid.

Also something to consider is buying an ultra silent Sinewave Controller would be a much better idea then spending a lot of cash on the noisy trapezoidal square wave controllers that are a dime a dozen everywhere.

https://lunacycle.com/motors-and-kits/mid-drive-kits/cyclone-mid-drive/40-amp-48-72v-ebike-controller/
Did a page search for "sine" and nothing so ^^^^^ one is a trapezoidal square noisy controller for $50.

I did not see any sinewave cont's for sale at Luna unless all Kelly's are.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36V-48V-1200W-1500W-Ebike-Brushless-DC-Sine-Wave-Controller-35A/163095136150?hash=item25f93a4796:g:GegAAOSwMtpbn0n~

Luna's other website
http://www.electricbike.com/sine-wave/

Yeah I had those MP3 internal controllers, in one test ride controller died > not waterproof!
So I hooked up a Kelly controller > all fine!

Back