Elon Musk plans to inquire with Daimler about collaboration on an electric sprinter van

MitchJi

10 MW
I don’t believe that this is likely, but it does make a lot of sense. Daimler makes excellent vans but they really need help with batteries. It was a Daimler engineer who said that the Tesla semi defies the laws of physics.

https://electrek.co/2018/11/19/tesla-mercedes-benz-electric-sprinter-van-elon-musk/
Tesla CEO Elon Musk said that he will reach out to Daimler to propose a collaboration on an electric version of the Sprinter van.

It wouldn’t be without precedent since Daimler and Tesla have collaborated on electric vehicles in the past.

Tesla supplied the electric powertrains for the first generation electric Smart cars and electric Mercedes-Benz B-Class.

But that was when Daimler was actually a Tesla shareholder.

Back in 2009, Daimler invested $50 million for roughly 9% of Tesla’s stock.

The investment came amidst the financial crisis, which hit automakers quite hard and Musk later admitted that Tesla would have likely gone under if it wasn’t for the investment.

It ended in 2014 when Daimler stopped its powertrain supply contract with Tesla and ended up selling its stake in the company for $780 million – a healthy profit on a $50 million investment....

But they could partner up again as Musk said that they would reach out to them about making an electric version of the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter van:

I doubt Daimler needs much help from Musk to produce an EV Van..
They have a prety well developed program for EVs...
http://europe.autonews.com/article/20181008/ANE/181009688/daimler-will-start-building-ev-battery-plant-in-u.s.

Hillhater said:

Okay, what's their current lineup of EVs ? All I am seeing over interwebz are some plans to release some stuff in 2020 and 2021, production hasn't even started for anything. They clearly did some experimentation, such as Vito E-CELL, but never had a proper 100% EV.

If nothing else, Daimler should cooperate with Tesla to provide Daimler's customers with access to Tesla's charging network - the most advanced charging network currently available.

MB are not new to the EV game.
They have had several EVs previously, including the SLSe , 5 years ago..not many produced , but at $500+ that was not surprising !
there were also Electric versions of the "B" class hatch, and most numerous the Smart Ecar, together with various other limited run vehicles.
The next wave will start with the SUV launching next summer and followed by 9 other full EV models and hybrid drive on most of their range.
MB is collaborating with other European manufacturers in the roll out of high speed Charging networks.

Hillhater said:
MB are not new to the EV game.
They have had several EVs previously, including the SLSe , 5 years ago..not many produced , but at $500+ that was not surprising !
there were also Electric versions of the "B" class hatch, and most numerous the Smart Ecar, together with various other limited run vehicles.
The next wave will start with the SUV launching next summer and followed by 9 other full EV models and hybrid drive on most of their range.
MB is collaborating with other European manufacturers in the roll out of high speed Charging networks.

Yep, just like I said - a bunch of experimentation, failure and future plans. Even if they manage to roll out some chargers, would customers hate them for also providing them with access to Tesla's network ? That's a rhetorical question :)

Hillhater said:
That’s foolishness.

Check the range of their delivery trucks compared with the Tesla semi!

Hillhater said:
Probably not. But they might be able to use some help producing a long range EV van with a worldwide network of fast chargers.

MitchJi said:
Hillhater said:
That’s foolishness.

Check the range of their delivery trucks compared with the Tesla semi!
Foolishness ??
Comparing a commercially available range of DELIVERY trucks and vans, to a prototype semi haulage truck ...is foolishness .
As i said....MB have an active program for EVs ....
https://electrek.co/2018/04/13/mercedes-benz-esprinter-all-electric-van/

billvon said:
Hillhater said:
Probably not. But they might be able to use some help producing a long range EV van with a worldwide network of fast chargers.
Range is mainly a function of battery capacity, which is directly related to price.
MB are apparently building to suit a specific price range,..hence the limited pack size.
At some stage, all these various charger systems and networks will have to become universal, much like gas stations.
https://electrek.co/2018/03/02/ultra-fast-electric-vehicle-charging-network-fastned-europe/

Hillhater said:
At some stage, all these various charger systems and networks will have to become universal, much like gas stations.
https://electrek.co/2018/03/02/ultra-fast-electric-vehicle-charging-network-fastned-europe/
Agreed. The J1772 standard is a good start.

Back