ebike question

cnnx

1 mW
Hi.. I bought a voltbike marine a few years ago and like it.. however I'm looking for something with a bigger battery for more range.. still at 500W motor so its legal here in montreal, canada and id like acomfortable seat for those long rides.. anyone suggest something? is there like 48V 20AH ebikes available? or bigger? mine is 11.6AH i think

https://www.ebikes.ca/learn/power-ratings.html

Basically there is no standard for power ratings for motors, so its a nothing point. If you want the random number law makers put in place for Canada it is 750W, however authority are pretty slack. My motor is 3kw and I have been stopped once for no light on the back, I was doing about 40kph for 100' then went into a parking lot and did slalom S turns in an empty lot and they thought I had went under the guard, but I was on the pathway, did the zig zag, over the tracks, then onto the road. They did not have their headlights on, not sure how I missed them. In the end my ticket was thrown out on their behalf, and I have no clean driving record. It was a Friday night, summer, I thought there was no one around. I run into them when they are riding their bicycles or writing up tickets. I am confident that in Quebec they are even more liberal then Alberta.

Just dont go speeding around and scaring people, children, dogs. Be a reasonable and caring cyclist. Sure you can have your fun if you so wish.

As for your 500W motor, it all depends on what you want to ride. Are there lots of hills in Montreal or is it flat. The people selling the motors will say its a 250W just to sell it to the UK'ers and Aussies, but its probably the same motor as a 500W. But you should buy a 1000W so you have enough for later on. Like I said it all depends on what you want. Do you want a pedal assist or strictly throttle, do you want to pedal a little bit or not at all. I have not had a chain on my bicycle for a year, I ride a 3000W motor that can do 6000W. I ride every single day of the year, snow, rain, sunny, cloudy, warm, cold, over cast, flurries, windy. I have my routes, I go on residential roads, pathways sidewalks, some slopes are 10%, others are 25%.

Lots of people love the Leafbike and Leafmotor kits, you can get the KT display. Check them out.
For batteries go to www.ebikes.ca in Vancouver Canada or EM3EV.com in China and buy a good battery. More then you need.

https://www.ebikes.ca/tools/trip-simulator.html
Input Type pull down menu, Google Maps
Right click, start and right click end. Move line to your route.
Enter the motor, 9C is your generic 1000W motor.
Look at the Wh/km

Motor Type Rough energy usage
Minimal Assist (using motor only on hills, slower ~30kph setup) 6-8 Wh/km
Typical Assist (~40 kph with pedaling, motor on all the time) 9-12 Wh/km
Power Hungry (either no pedaling, or hauling a load, or going really fast) 14-20 Wh/km

cnnx said:
Hi.. I bought a voltbike marine a few years ago and like it.. however I'm looking for something with a bigger battery for more range..

You'll get a lot more range from the same amount of battery energy if you ride a bike with full sized wheels and reasonably high pressure tires.

I'm not saying don't get a bigger battery if it suits you, but a folding small-wheeled fat bike approaches the worst case for speed and range per unit of energy.

Back