10 Kw Homemade Battery powered snowblower

ENNOID

100 W
I built my own snowblower from recycled 6 x 12V = 72V lead acid battery pack approx. 500Wh each. The body of the snowblower contains 12 packs all connected in parallels for a total energy content of 6 kWh. The front auger is from an old gasoline powered snowblower that I adapted to fit on the new battery + electric motor containing body. The wheels are powered by 2 small 24V 250W DC motors with planetary gearboxes.

So far, it is working well and is powerful enough. Ugly but functionnal :lol: In fact, I'm now only using my battery powered snowblower and my old yamaha YS828 stays now parked in the shed!!! No more gasoline smell going into the house due to the attached garage :D :D :D

IMG_20190204_203749.jpg

Once assembled:

Small video showing it in function! :

https://youtu.be/xfGvZ2-UYI0

It has the following main components:

- Denzel d7500 motor
- Kelly KLS7218S
- EV200 contactor
- 12 lead-acid 72v packs @ 7.2Ah each = approx. 6 kWh

Not too sure the extra weight helps, because trying to maneuver the snow blower would be a challenge around corners, backing up, going forward. Plus it might just dig into the snow more then one wants, but either way the first thought was to install Lithium Ion onto that beast, better yet have a multiple use battery for the snow blower, the air blower, the leaf sucker, the weed eater brush. Cool shizzznitz

markz said:
Not too sure the extra weight helps, because trying to maneuver the snow blower would be a challenge around corners, backing up, going forward. Plus it might just dig into the snow more then one wants, but either way the first thought was to install Lithium Ion onto that beast, better yet have a multiple use battery for the snow blower, the air blower, the leaf sucker, the weed eater brush. Cool shizzznitz

With independent geared wheel motors I wouldn't expect steering or reversing to be a problem. (Well, maybe reversing? My Vectrix has reverse...) And no big snowblower should float on the snow - you want it down at the bottom.

Yeah, it is quite handling surprisingly well until now despite the weight. In fact, it pushes against the compacted snow incredibly well and independent wheel control makes cornering easy. Reverse is also done just by moving a switch, so no problem there... Next upgrade would be to install tracks instead of the wheels so it would never get stuck anywhere, but so far I haven't got stuck with it and I don't see any need to do the switch...

I have something like 50kWh in total capacity of lead acid battery pack like the ones I used for the snowblower sitting at home that i got almost for free and still in perfect condition. Next step is probably an homemade battery powered tractor for next year...

If you aren't getting stuck now, then tire chains might be the cheap, easy "semi-track" option.

:bigthumb:
ENNOID said:
Next step is probably an homemade battery powered tractor for next year...

What's your idea of the size of that project?
Did it come closer to reality?

I have too many projects ongoing for now to work on that tractor idea. So no update for my tractor so far.

I have a friend here in quebec who is retrofiting an old bolens small tractor with a sbowblower at the front. Using some of those 72v lead acid batteries with separate motors for traction & snowblower d7500 & d9000 denzel motor respectively. will post picture once running after christmas holidays...

Back