Help rewiring a kids go kart

Karting02

1 µW
I have a kids electric go kart which was originally wired up to be charged with the power source (4 x RITAR RT12180 12V 18AH SLA battery (F13 Plug) SLA-RT12180F13) connected in parellel, through a transformer.

It now seems the transformer is no longer working!
The current transformer is not branded, so difficult to source an accurate replacement.

Now that I am using the kart I charge each battery individually but need some way of regulating the power between the batteries and the electric motor (voltage: 48VDC, output 1000w). The only other connections required are an on off switch and the a foot controlled accelerator switch.

Can anyone recommend a transformer/regulator to do this which I can purchase.

If it is a 48V system the 4 batteries will be in series (not parallel) as then 4x12V=48V.
Do you have a 48V charger (which you call transformer) that is broken? Why do you need a controller (or is that what you call the transformer)?
A new "48V" (higher actual charging voltage) lead acid charger can be bought online easily and cheap. A new controller (for brushed motor?) also. You just need to find out what is really broken to fix or replace the right component.

Karting02 said:
I have a kids electric go kart which was originally wired up to be charged with the power source (4 x RITAR RT12180 12V 18AH SLA battery (F13 Plug) SLA-RT12180F13) connected in parellel,
<snip>
(voltage: 48VDC, output 1000w)
If the batteries are all in parallel, then you only have 12v, not 48v.

Many (most) controllers have an LVC that prevents them from working at too low a voltage to prevent killing the batteries. So with only 12v, the system will not operate. You will need to rewire them to be in series to operate a 48v system.

through a transformer.
A transformer will not operate in a desirable way with DC (batteries), either as a charger or as a controller (not sure which one you mean; which one you need), so some questions:

First, are you referring to a box connected between the wall and the batteries (a charger), or a box connected between the batteries and the motor (a controller)?

I suspect you mean the latter, but to help we need to know for sure which one.

It now seems the transformer is no longer working!
What specifically, and exactly, do you mean by "no longer working"? Does it smoke when connected, or burn on fire? Or does it do absolutely nothing, and draw no current from the batteries (assuming it's a controller) or provide no current to the batteries (assuming it's a charger)? Or does it draw current but not respond to throttle? Or what?

Depending on the fault, you could have a problem with the batteries, the throttle, the motor, the contorller, the wiring, the charger, or a combination of any or all of the above.

If you are certain it is this specific part, I recommend explaining what exactly you have tested, and how, to reach that certainty, so we can be sure tha't the right part to replace so it will all just work for you, rather than having further troubleshooting to do. :)

The current transformer is not branded, so difficult to source an accurate replacement.
Attach a photo of the box, showing all of the markings that are on it. A separate photo or set of photos of the connectors would also be useful determining the correct replacement.

If it is a controller, showing the motor itself and the wires coming out of it would also be useful.

Getting some assistance from the person that built it - if just "translating" to give you a more precise terminology - would be helpful.

Hi, thanks to those who have replied to my message. I have uploaded photos of the kart. The 4x 12 volt batteries run down the middle with the electric motor seen at the back. The silver box to the right of the back wheel below the last battery is what I believe is the transformer/ regulator and it is this which I don’t think is working. I have opened it up to show you the circuit board. This doesn’t look damaged in anyway, so not sure why it is not working? If anyone can help me source a new transformer or suggest an alternative wiring option this would be great. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_4420.jpg
    IMG_4420.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 1,158
  • IMG_4422.jpg
    IMG_4422.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,158
  • IMG_4423.jpg
    IMG_4423.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,158
Karting02 said:
The silver box to the right of the back wheel below the last battery is what I believe is the transformer/ regulator and it is this which I don’t think is working.

I'm going to repeat what i asked before, that you have not yet answered. It is important if you want to get this working, without just spending money replacing parts that don't need to be (and that may not fix anything, or could even just be destroyed by the actual problem).

What specifically, and exactly, do you mean by "no longer working"? Does it smoke when connected, or burn on fire? Or does it do absolutely nothing, and draw no current from the batteries (assuming it's a controller) or provide no current to the batteries (assuming it's a charger)? Or does it draw current but not respond to throttle? Or what?

Depending on the fault, you could have a problem with the batteries, the throttle, the motor, the contorller, the wiring, the charger, or a combination of any or all of the above.

If you are certain it is this specific part, I recommend explaining what exactly you have tested, and how, to reach that certainty, so we can be sure tha't the right part to replace so it will all just work for you, rather than having further troubleshooting to do. :)

I'm also going to repost the battery wiring part, because you have not replied about that either, and it is also important to troubleshooting. The batteries appear to be wired in series in the pictures you've posted, rather than parallel, so I want to be sure that's still the way they are connected now that you are having the problem. If you have rewired them in parallel, you'll need to change them back to series for the system to work.

Karting02 said:
I have a kids electric go kart which was originally wired up to be charged with the power source (4 x RITAR RT12180 12V 18AH SLA battery (F13 Plug) SLA-RT12180F13) connected in parellel,
<snip>
(voltage: 48VDC, output 1000w)
If the batteries are all in parallel, then you only have 12v, not 48v.

Many (most) controllers have an LVC that prevents them from working at too low a voltage to prevent killing the batteries. So with only 12v, the system will not operate. You will need to rewire them to be in series to operate a 48v system.

I have opened it up to show you the circuit board.

Ok, that's definitely NOT a transformer or regulator.

It is a motor controller, the YK31CT according to the big letters on the PCB. Acording to google, it's for a brushed motor, and made by YIYUN, and comes up as YK31C (the T is probably just the board inside).

If you don't want to do any troubleshooting and just want to buy parts, you can get this same one at a number of places:

https://www.google.com/search?q=48v+yk31c&tbm=shop

Just make sure you get one that's for "48v" if you're going to run the four batteries in series. If you run them in 2s 2p (wiring the first two in parallel with each other, then the second two in parallel with each other, then the two parallel sets in series), then you need to get one that's for 24v.

So, is the motor itself a brushed motor? Or a brushless? (BLDC)

The former typically has only two wires going into it.

The latter typically has 3 fat ones and 5 or more skinny ones.

If you have the former, then it should work with that controller.

If you have the latter, it cannot work with that controller.

Back