looking for a job in Solar that isn't construction/install?

Looking for something? Need a special part, but can't find it online anywhere? Post what you need, maybe others will have it to sell. Guest may post replies to topics already here. All topics here will expire after 60 days of inactivity.
robby p   10 mW

10 mW

looking for a job in Solar that isn't construction/install?

Post by robby p » Dec 05 2019 9:44am

Hi guys, I hope this doesn't come across as spam but you all seem like an ideal group to mention this to. I have reading on E-S since about 2012 and I come here frequently (daily) to learn more about ebikes and the technologies associated. I have built 2 ebikes over the years, I commute 13 miles one way and I love it. It is better than driving in every way. I don't post much here simply because I have little to add.

I am a solar technician in the utility scale solar electrical O&M field. I work for a company called Carolina Solar Services here in North Carolina.
We are hiring for a number of positions both here and in Oregon. You can find the job listings here: http://carolinasolar.services/join-the-team/

Before this job I ran a successful auto repair shop in Austin TX for about 10 years that focused exclusively on VW TDI cars but that sort of went haywire in late 2015 and I decided to quit while I was ahead. My wife got a job offer at a University in NC so we moved and I happened to get this Solar job when I met one of the company execs at a mutual friend's kid's birthday party. I am overall very pleased with the job and I like the company a lot.

I am happy to answer any questions here to the best of my ability. If you are interested in a job, please reach out and tell Jessica that Robby sent ya! :mrgreen:

leffex   100 W

100 W

Re: looking for a job in Solar that isn't construction/install?

Post by leffex » Dec 14 2019 2:08pm

Hey

Nice job offer!

We almost needed a guy at our ebike store but sales was doped 2018 and went down to 70% of what it for this year (2019 so maybe in the future.

However I really would like to try working in solar in the future. Maybe I should just knock on some companies doors and have a chat and talk. As I recon a fellow working in the business of big machines were some are electric said the were looking for people. Often a company is always in search of smart strong headed people to join their force.

I really dig the sheeps, almost said beers, in the photo of your company webpage.

In essence I have a question: Does one need to be an "electrician" to be eligible for the work in a solar company like said. (Sorry but I'm from the other side of the world, the question however still legit :D )

Have a good day!
Ocean
Salestech in an ebike store

robby p   10 mW

10 mW

Re: looking for a job in Solar that isn't construction/install?

Post by robby p » Dec 16 2019 11:07am

Hi leffex,
To answer your question, No not really. The reason I provided the brief description of my background was to sort of demonstrate that I did not come into this job from a related field. I have had a Homer Simpson like list of previous occupations including bulk coffee delivery, home brew shop assistant, professional brewer, commercial salmon fisherman, Baker, biodiesel distribution company founder and most recently the auto repair biz owner. All of these things prepared me for the job at CSS but I have never had any official training in AC or DC electrical systems. I do have a fairly solid understanding of how these systems work and the energy flow of any given system and if you have a good start point then learning on the job will happen quickly and naturally.

CSS places a high priority on Saftey and that goes a long way to curbing my concerns about my personal exposure to these systems. 1500V DC is no joke and there is some serious incident energy associated with any of the pieces of equipment that I regularly have to interact with. As long as you are comfortable with these hazards, and are willing to take steps to mitigate or eliminate them then you would be a good fit.

The bulk of the job activity could be frankly characterized as repetitive and boring as most of what we do is preventative maintenance contract compliance but we also frequently get to engage in corrective maintenance and repairs which can actually be quite fun. I am a person who sincerely enjoys work and the associated sense of accomplishment. For instance bring back online a faulted inverter and restoring that 1.5MW of PV power to the grid.