Looking for wheel builder in Bay Area CA

Looking for something? Need a special part, but can't find it online anywhere? Post what you need, maybe others will have it to sell. Guest may post replies to topics already here. All topics here will expire after 60 days of inactivity.
Timbecile
10 mW
10 mW

Looking for wheel builder in Bay Area CA

Post by Timbecile » Sep 23, 2017 11:21 am

Hi Endless,

Just thought I’d start here in my search for a wheel builder.

Need to lace a 1500w edge hub motor into a 29er rim and am curious if anyone with lacing experience lives in Bay Area or knows someone who they can refer me to. Im willing to drive anywhere between San Francisco and Santa Cruz.

Thanks,

Tim

Alan B
100 GW
100 GW

Re: Looking for wheel builder in Bay Area CA

Post by Alan B » Sep 30, 2017 9:01 pm

I've worked with a couple of ebike vendors who do excellent ebike wheel builds in the Bay Area:

Matt Hughes at Empowered Cycles http://www.empoweredcycles.com

Ilia Brouk at ROAM ebikes (previously EbikesSF) http://ebikesSF.com
Last edited by Alan B on Sep 30, 2017 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed typos

flat tire
10 kW
10 kW

Post by flat tire » Sep 30, 2017 9:02 pm

Nearly any bike shop can do it assuming it fits into their truing stand.
Orange DH w/ Cyclone mid on 6kw
Gary Fisher w/ Leaf hub on 6kw
RC Lipo and domino throttles only!

Alan B
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Alan B » Sep 30, 2017 9:05 pm

Bike shops vary in their understanding of hubmotors, and their interest/desire to work with them. Ebike shops understand the issues.

flat tire
10 kW
10 kW

Post by flat tire » Sep 30, 2017 10:12 pm

Is there something I'm missing here because lacing a hubmotor to a bike rim is just like lacing a regular bike wheel only the spokes are shorter. For a 29er it should be a breeze.
Orange DH w/ Cyclone mid on 6kw
Gary Fisher w/ Leaf hub on 6kw
RC Lipo and domino throttles only!

Alan B
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Alan B » Oct 01, 2017 8:49 am

As I said, there are some different issues that wheel builders who have no experience with may not implement optimally. I've heard about poorly chosen solutions from bike shops, you can take your chances with it if you like. You may be training them with their first hubmotor build, do you want to be doing that? Putting a 10 or 20 pound motor in a wheel isn't something that the standard bikeshop wheel builder necessarily has any experience with. It's up to you to decide. You'll likely pay for their mistakes. I'd choose a shop with experience in building actual ebike hubmotor wheels, myself. Barring that I'd find out if your favorite non-e bike shop has the experience (and some do). Some shops are already anti-ebike and won't work very hard to make you happy. One shop I heard about (fairly local here) took an ebike job and had so much trouble they won't work on another hubmotor. I'm not sure what all the problems are, but many choices in spokes and patterns have to be adjusted for hubmotors. I know on one of my wheels special coned washers had to be fabricated to adjust for the size of spokes that the wheel required which were on the small side for the motor. This is not normal, but was required in this case. I'm glad I had an ebike aware wheel builder for that build. It has thousands of miles with zero issues or readjustment required. So many hubmotor wheels require frequent retuning because incorrect choices were made in the spokes, pattern or adjustments. I'd rather do it once and done. But you may do whatever you prefer. The listed shops are places I've personally had good results from, they are not the only shops around, but I've not tested others.