Monocrystalline silicon wafer offcuts

Looking for something? Need a special part, but can't find it online anywhere? Post what you need, maybe others will have it to sell. Guest may post replies to topics already here. All topics here will expire after 60 days of inactivity.
Buk___   10 kW

10 kW

Monocrystalline silicon wafer offcuts

Post by Buk___ » Mar 09 2018 4:48pm

I can't think where I might obtain these, but someone here might.

When they make chips (or pv cells) which are usually rectangular, from round wafers of MCS, there must be small off-cuts.

If these are ?discarded? (or recycled at cost), then someone, somewhere might be able to obtain some for me for a reasonable (read:low) cost?

Any thoughts on where to ask, or who to contact?

Cheers, Buk.

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Re: Monocrystalline silicon wafer offcuts

Post by amberwolf » Mar 09 2018 5:11pm

Couple decades ago, these would be found in bins in the local Intel disused-equipment auctions. Sometimes even the end of the whole wafer cylinder (where it tapers to a point) would be there.

But nowadays that's all hazardous waste, and gets handled by e-waste companies, so you might have to check with that sort of place.

Otherwise, direct ifrom wafer-processing plants would be your first best bet, making friends with someone in the fab areas to see if they can take such scraps home (unlikely, due to the hazmat regs these days, if nothing else).

Buk___   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Buk___ » Mar 10 2018 12:29pm

amberwolf wrote:
Mar 09 2018 5:11pm
Couple decades ago, these would be found in bins in the local Intel disused-equipment auctions. Sometimes even the end of the whole wafer cylinder (where it tapers to a point) would be there.

But nowadays that's all hazardous waste, and gets handled by e-waste companies, so you might have to check with that sort of place.

Otherwise, direct ifrom wafer-processing plants would be your first best bet, making friends with someone in the fab areas to see if they can take such scraps home (unlikely, due to the hazmat regs these days, if nothing else).
I thought Monocrystalline silicon was essentially glass? Ie. non-hazardous.

I'm not positive, but I not aware of any chip fabs in the UK. I have to try contacting some of my friends in Holland and Germany.

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Mar 10 2018 2:30pm

I guess it depends on how you define hazardous. At my workplace, any glass has to go in an HW bin, and can't just go in the trash. Same thing with lots of other things I wouldn't have expected to be that strictly controlled. I imagine most stuff from production lines that might have leachable materials in it gets handled as HW whether it seems like it's an issue or not, but I don't really know--but none of the really interesting (or useful) stuff is in any of the auctions these days, so I stopped going a long time ago.