Cheap small BLDC mid drive motor

Looking for something? Need a special part, but can't find it online anywhere? Post what you need, maybe others will have it to sell. Guest may post replies to topics already here. All topics here will expire after 60 days of inactivity.
DanGT86   10 kW

10 kW

Cheap small BLDC mid drive motor

Post by DanGT86 » Oct 20 2018 5:23pm

Anybody have an extra brushless mid-drive motor laying around? Something small is fine like a motor rated at 500-1000watt like this:
mot small.png
mot small.png (159.36 KiB) Viewed 175 times
Trying to power a kids motorcycle and not looking for huge power but I plan to play on it too so its tiny brushed unit has to go. :twisted:

Looking to stay around $50 shipped.

I may be tempted into impulse buying a 3k unit like a cyclone, bht,small block, or denzel for the right price. Sealed case and sensored for compatibility with cheap ebike controllers are what I'm after.

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Re: Cheap small BLDC mid drive motor

Post by amberwolf » Oct 20 2018 6:03pm

If there's enough room, you could use a small hubmotor without a wheel on it, in the frame, to do the driving. If it has disc brake mounts, you can bolt the output drive sprocket to those.

(see the hubmotor mid drive media group thread for lots of ideas)

fechter   100 GW

100 GW

Post by fechter » Oct 20 2018 6:46pm

You might consider RC helicopter motors. Pretty cheap new.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

DanGT86   10 kW

10 kW

Post by DanGT86 » Oct 20 2018 7:39pm

I've considered a small geared hub as a reliable and easy solution but I havent seen them used here lately.

As for RC motors, I actually have an 80100 drive unit I made and considered mounting but I dont think its reliable enough for the kids to be crashing. It has a gates belt primary reduction and an external hall board that needs to stay in alignment. Probably not the best choice for my 4 year old's first motorcycle.

That Denzel 3kw would have been about perfect but they quit offering it. It was $100 shipped.

This is the RC drive that I think is too delicate. Only upside to this one is its free because I already have it. Problem is that once I mount this on that bike I'm going to start caring and spending too much. At the moment I much like the idea of a simple quick setup that's hard to break. I'm also not looking forward to the amount of guarding this one would require for kids and noobs to ride without getting pants and shoe laces sucked into it. The reality is that its probably going to end up on there eventually because I'm an ebiker and that's what we do.
drive c.jpg
drive c.jpg (128.02 KiB) Viewed 151 times