Deal on motors/wheels

Excess

1 mW
Hi guys,

I’m mostly an Esk8 guy and spend my time on the Esk8 forum.
A place a I get batteries from has a one day sale on some ebike motors with wheels. I’m not affiliated in anyway I just buy stuff from them. I wanted to share just in case you guys were interested.
Sale ends Sunday at midnight and he said strict one per person.
The owners name is Guy and he’s been cool to deal with.

https://www.batteryclearinghouse.com/products/electric-wheel-set-for-summer-projects

Would seem like a good deal at two IGH/drumbrake wheels and two front hubmotors for a hundred bucks (before shipping)...but no shifter comes with the IGHs. Looks a bit expensive to get the shifter separately.
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/11122361215750466890?&biw=1115&bih=987&q=Sturmey-Archer+RX-RD3+shifter&oq=Sturmey-Archer+RX-RD3+shifter&prds=epd:11478549824847428722,prmr:1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjI1Luh3rfpAhUQvZ4KHX7ZAyYQ3q4ECK8L#sellers-grid

The motors may be the "code 10" BPM, not sure. Controllers are easy and cheap enough all around the web. . Batteries, well, good ones aren't usually.

If I saw these at a local thrift store for the same deal, I'd probably go for it--but not with the shipping cost it would have over the web (guessing in the $100 range just for that).

Some other posts mentioning this seller
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=*batteryclearinghouse*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

I hadn’t thought about the shifter. Thanks.
I did order a set, shipping to me in South Dakota was $37.

Edit:
Just learned from a post on reddit that these are jump bike tear downs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ebikes/comments/bf9zmk/jump_ebike_visual_teardown/

Hm, the motors might be neat for a basic twin-motor bike, but the more important thing (to me) is that the Strumey-archer IGH there is claimed to withstand the 3000w cyclone motor's torque.

Excess said:
I hadn’t thought about the shifter. Thanks.
I did order a set, shipping to me in South Dakota was $37.

Edit:
Just learned from a post on reddit that these are jump bike tear downs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ebikes/comments/bf9zmk/jump_ebike_visual_teardown/

What's a jump bike?

They’re a ebike rental service in cities. I think owned by Uber. The ones you can pick up on any street and drop of anywhere

CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING said:
Hm, the motors might be neat for a basic twin-motor bike, but the more important thing (to me) is that the Strumey-archer IGH there is claimed to withstand the 3000w cyclone motor's torque.

Could you tell me where I can read up on that?

FYI the deal changed and is now just two front hub motor wheels for $78 + shipping.

Excess said:
FYI the deal changed and is now just two front hub motor wheels for $78 + shipping.

Darn, I was gonna snag those IGHs once I got off work.

I'd have to check my notes for where I read the 3-speed IGH can withstand the Cyclone, but I still have the texts to a friend of mine about it.

He still has plenty according to his post in another forum. He thought the weight of them increased the shipping to a point where people would be less interested. If you emailed them they’d probably be fine selling you all 4.
This was the post he made about the change.
I hope it’s ok I post it here2EF982F1-5D22-4CAC-8D36-705D58FC3D30.jpeg

CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING said:
Excess said:

Darn, I was gonna snag those IGHs once I got off work.

I'd have to check my notes for where I read the 3-speed IGH can withstand the Cyclone, but I still have the texts to a friend of mine about it.

He added the option back for IGHs. You can pick either now

I was about to say, if he doens't think the IGHs would be any use to anyone, I know a few projects that could give them homes, even if all they were doing was using the drum brake part. ;)

I did send a message asking if they still have the shifters/etc from the handlebars.

Attachments

• SA-Shifter.jpg
    SA-Shifter.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 3,803
Guy responded that they do have them; am working out how to best get them, will post further details as available.

Even without the shifters, these would make a good wheelset for this trailer, as I use four 26" wheels on it, and it would give me brakes *and* motor assist:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94215&p=1387935&hilit=flatbed+trailer#p1387935
file.php

Though when I carry something liek that piano, it might be better to have all four wheels have brakes. :lol:
(I can always mount calipers for the disc rotor on the motors if necessary.)

amberwolf said:
Guy responded that they do have them; am working out how to best get them, will post further details as

Thanks man! That’s good news.

Those are cool trailers!

He didn't actually answer if it was ok for me to post a quote from his email, but he did say he's going to see about getting shifters put with the rest of the IGH wheels, and will be sending one with each of the ones in my order.

I'll post the results of the order once they arrive, pics and the usual excessive detail. ;)

Excess said:
Those are cool trailers!

Thanks. :) I don't have to move big stuff that often, but when I do, it's usually really big (mostly hundreds of pounds of dog food, or more than one of my St Bernards at a time, etc). I have a bigger, enclosed, air-conditioned version in the planning stages, to take the dogs places during summertime/etc., but I haven't gotten past the napkin-sketch point of those.

amberwolf said:
He didn't actually answer if it was ok for me to post a quote from his email, but he did say he's going to see about getting shifters put with the rest of the IGH wheels, and will be sending one with each of the ones in my order.

Hey Amber, are you getting One order of Two, or more than that? I ask 'cause at most I'd like just one of them and I'd pay the difference.

Not sure what you mean...but I"m just getting the original deal of four (2 motor, 2 igh), since my trailer uses four wheels and everything on there right now is mismatched, no brakes, and no motors. ;)

Just checking in.. some folks had questions about the Sturmey-Archer 3 speed shiftier the the BCH summer project listing..

Yes.. we are looking into getting them for everyone. They are grip shifters. Looks like the S36 3-Speed Twist Shift model. Like they have on kids bikes,

I didn't mean to knock the 3 speed hubs before. The upside I suppose to the Sturmey Hubs are that they don't throw chains and the drum breaks work in the snow & rain... Me, I would lean towards a SRAM/shemano 1x9 or 1x10 with thick/thin profile chain ring up front. Your chain isn't going anywhere. With a 1x10 you can dial in your ratios. Your running off a single shiftier. All these fancy bike guys with money are upgrading to 1x11 and 1x12 so there is a lot of cheap used stuff out there now. Put a 30T chain ring up front and then a 11-50 cassette on the back, you can granny gear up a cliff. You shouldn't spinning out to bad on down hills either. I would also take a speed/thumb shiftier over a grip shiftier all day long. :)

On the upside... When buying all 4 wheels, your getting two more tires and rims for a little more. The Sturmey hub is a beautiful piece of equipment and looks fairly bullet proof. A lot of folks will find a good use for them.

/Guy - Batter Clearing House

amberwolf said:
I'll post the results of the order once they arrive, pics and the usual excessive detail. ;)

I’m wondering about controllers for these hub motors. my knowledge in this area doesn’t extend very far past the vescs I use in boards and the Motor + controller kits ive bought for a couple budget bikes.
What controller would you personally use for this?
I was originally planning on taking some time to figure out how to make a vesc based controller work but I’d like a starting point for researching other options.
Thanks

Unless these have a very high pole count, they should work fine with just about any typical ebike controller.

If they have really high pole counts, and you run them at a high RPM, then teh controller will need to handle whatever ERPM that comes to (pole count x gearing ratio x rpm).

I'm just going to try some generics I have laying around on a 48v pack for testing, 52v packs are what I normally use but not sure if those generics will run that high.

It's possible that since these are wound to run at their typical speed at 36v, they *might* be high enough RPM at 48/52v to cause ERPM-match with the generic controllers. If so, I can just make a 36v battery instead, and use whatever generic controllers I've got that will run on 36v too.

So once I get mine and have a chance to put them on something, I'll post back with results.

There are fancier controllers you could use too, like Phaserunner, etc., but for the particular project I'll likely be using them on (trailer, or maybe a smaller backup trike similar to my brother's Raine Trike) it won't be necessary.

guy746 said:
I would also take a speed/thumb shiftier over a grip shiftier all day long. :)
That's easy to fix; you'd just buy the shifter I showed above. :)

Depending on the amount of cable the shifter has to move, you might also be able to use a regular front-3-ring trigger/etc shifter, if it moves enough cable per gear to match the SA shifter.

The Sturmey hub is a beautiful piece of equipment and looks fairly bullet proof. A lot of folks will find a good use for them.

If you still have some after I get the 2motor/2IGH order, then I would likely be interested in more IGH wheels for other projects, if they're a good enough deal to make up for shipping. ;)

Has anyone received any tracking numbers or items from this deal? I placed my order on the 15th. I’ve received a couple of emails about the connectors and sorry for the delay. No tracking or shipping info yet and no response to an email I sent a day or two ago. I’m thinking of calling the number on their website.

I received a FedEx tracking number today. Says June 9th. I did send inquiry email yesterday. Fingers crossed.
major

Back