What do you do with 650 Ford Escape hybrid battery packs?

Hi all,

New member here. Trying to see if anyone can help me out.

We repair hybrid battery packs in Milwaukee and recently we signed a contract with a local junk yard to remove the hybrid battery pack out of 650 Ford Escape hybrids. It will probably take 6 months to complete but we started already and I can see a storage issue will occur for our facility

I will include photos of what I am talking about but our customer simply wants to crush the cars to get the scrap metal but until the battery is remove they cannot send it thru the crusher. So we take out the packs complete. We have opened some up to take photos of the cells to see if there are people that needs them. The cells are automotive grade NiMh D size cells. They are 1.2v nominal and 5,500mah capacity from the factory. We have not performed any significant tests other than to measure standing voltage which shows that all the cells are holding charge and since they all came out of running and driving vehicles we can assume they still have decent capacity.

Our thoughts was someone can use these cells for solar energy storage. As of right now we have all the injection molded holding trays, BMS and cooling fans and wiring harness and sensor wires. But to save space we plan on taking the cells out and selling the fans and other electronics separately on ebay. Apparently the fans are highly desirable.

If you have ideas of how these cells can be repurposed please feel free to respond or mesaage me.

Our website is WWW.HYBRIDHEROMKE.COM

My personal cell is 414-614-4258. Feel free to text or call.

Thank you
Andy

Attachments

• 20210406_141111.jpg
    20210406_141111.jpg
    581.7 KB · Views: 879
  • 20210402_143806.jpg
    20210402_143806.jpg
    678 KB · Views: 879
  • 20210402_143629.jpg
    20210402_143629.jpg
    883.6 KB · Views: 879
  • 20210402_144618.jpg
    20210402_144618.jpg
    830.4 KB · Views: 879
  • 20210402_140443.jpg
    20210402_140443.jpg
    482.4 KB · Views: 878
Dunno if the batteries are useful, but you should take the motor and controller systems out and sell *those* cheap. ;)

Fairingfactoryus said:
New member here.
Nope. You've been here almost a year and a half, with a post for other items for sale in the used section, in which you also said you were a "new member here". ;)

This post has been moved to the items for sale section as well, because it advertises your business, and presumably you wish to sell the things discussed in the post.

Hi all,

Trying to see if anyone can help me out.

We repair hybrid battery packs in Milwaukee and recently we signed a contract with a local junk yard to remove the hybrid battery pack out of 650 Ford Escape hybrids. It will probably take 6 months to complete but we started already and I can see a storage issue will occur for our facility

I will include photos of what I am talking about but our customer simply wants to crush the cars to get the scrap metal but until the battery is remove they cannot send it thru the crusher. So we take out the packs complete. We have opened some up to take photos of the cells to see if there are people that needs them. The cells are automotive grade NiMh D size cells. They are 1.2v nominal and 5,500mah capacity from the factory. We have not performed any significant tests other than to measure standing voltage which shows that all the cells are holding charge and since they all came out of running and driving vehicles we can assume they still have decent capacity.

Our thoughts was someone can use these cells for solar energy storage. As of right now we have all the injection molded holding trays, BMS and cooling fans and wiring harness and sensor wires. But to save space we plan on taking the cells out and selling the fans and other electronics separately on ebay. Apparently the fans are highly desirable.

If you have ideas of how these cells can be repurposed please feel free to respond or mesaage me.

Our website is WWW.HYBRIDHEROMKE.COM

Thank you
Andy

Attachments

• 20210406_141111.jpg
    20210406_141111.jpg
    581.7 KB · Views: 811
  • 20210402_143648.jpg
    20210402_143648.jpg
    712.5 KB · Views: 811
  • 20210402_144538.jpg
    20210402_144538.jpg
    813.3 KB · Views: 811
  • 20210402_140426.jpg
    20210402_140426.jpg
    597.8 KB · Views: 811
Here is a website that sells lithium batteries, it appears to me that they try to put the least amount of manpower hours into selling the batteries. They don't take the packs apart and give as much information about each individual battery that are in the packs and give info about how the final purchaser can take the batteries apart, recycle wire, copper, etc. and use the individual cells to make ebike battery packs or power wall packs for solar energy houses.

https://batteryhookup.com/

The one big cost for the batteries is the shipping cost and a hazard fee on some kinds of batteries, a business can get into real trouble if all the rules and regulations in regards to shipping are not followed.

The pictures that you have do not show any information about the individual cells, here is an article about taking a Ford Escape battery apart, the article is from 2014 and mentions that the batteries are NiMH, which are not as desirable as are lithium batteries.

https://300mpg.org/2014/10/13/deconstructing-a-ford-escape-hybrid-battery-pack-for-the-motorcycle/

Your new thread for the same thing has been merged with the first one you made for it.

Please don't make multiple threads for the same thing.

Maybe try to sell them to honda insight mk1 drivers. Very similar chemistry

Hi all,

New member here. Trying to see if anyone can help me out.

Our website is WWW.HYBRIDHEROMKE.COM

Thank you
Andy
Are you still getting rid of these? I could use one if your still selling

Back