70mph Vectrix VX-1 maxi-scooter with LifePO4 upgrade

Got something to sell? Have extra parts that need a good home? Have something that others would need to complete their kits? Post it up here and see if anyone else is searching for what you are selling.
oatnet   10 MW

10 MW

70mph Vectrix VX-1 maxi-scooter with LifePO4 upgrade

Post by oatnet » Jun 12 2015 12:37pm

Below is a link to a thread showing much of this bike's history, above is a time-lapse showing some of the replacement battery build and install.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 12&t=17071

I commuted on this Vectrix motorcycle for a few years, until I laid it down in the rain a year or so back.  I rode it home right after but haven't touched it since, so I think I am done with freeway-speed 2-wheel transport and it is time for someone else to enjoy it.

I have kharmic concerns about profiting from getting rid of a high voltage motorcycle. Motorcycles are dangerous. :shock:  High voltage batteries are dangerous :shock: , and this one does not have a BMS (although one could be added through the balance taps). I built the high voltage battery as best as I knew at the time and it served me well, but I am an amateur with no background in electronics :oops: so it could be I missed something critical that will burn your dwelling/building down, hurt somebody, or worse.  I don't want to incur the kharmic burden or financial liability of profiting from the Vectrix, but it seems wasteful to have it destroyed, so I intend to give it away.

This will go to the qualified person I believe most suitable to receive it, and not the first to respond.  I'm offering this to the existing membership of Endless-Sphere first, and if I don't find the person I want to give it to on here, I'll expand to the Vectrix forum next.  There are a few requirements, including:

1) The recipient must pick up the bike in Los Angeles very soon, as well as the pile of spare Vectrix parts, it's a package deal.
2) The recipient must be licensed to operate a motorcycle in his/her state prior to this posting.
3) The recipient must certify that s/he has the skills and experience to safely work on high voltage (ie, >144v) battery systems.
4) The recipient will assume all liability for the Vectrix.
5) The onboard charger is not sized to the replacement battery pack, so the recipient will need a bulk charger, and a single-cell charger to balance cells.
. I'd highly recommend balancing the pack before your first ride.

If you are interested, please PM me a short message (books will go unread) to apply, with answers to the questions below.   By applying, you are certifying that you have the skills to safely work with high voltage DC, you can safely manage and service this high voltage pack, and you can safely operate, maintain and store this Vectrix.  By applying, you agree that if you are selected, you assume any and all risk and liability for this Vectrix as configured, in any way it can be used, serviced, or stored or otherwise present risk or liability.  If any part of this is unenforceable, the rest of it remains in effect.

1) Do you certify that you have the skills and experience to safely work on high voltage (ie, >120v) battery systems? Please summarize your experience in a few sentences, links to project build threads are a plus.
2) How long have you had your motorcycle license and what is your riding experience?
3) What would you use the Vectrix for (commuting, leisure etc, how far, how often)
4) Where and how will you store and/or charge it?
5) How will you pick it up?

I'll collect responses for a while, and if I select a recipient I will post about it on this thread.   :mrgreen:

-JD
Member 117 of 26,000+

153v DUNE BUGGY © 164v Vectrix E-Moto © 72v Norco A-line/x5403 © 60v Specialized Enduro Comp/BMC © 72v x5tracycle © 48v TF IO/BMC © 36v Kepler FrictionDrive © Spot-Welding a123 © Pelican Front Packs © Vectrix Battery Replacement © MORE !!

Image大鸡巴 Motors
Knowledge is acquired through experience, everything else is just information - Albert Einstein
"Cheater?" I'm not competing, I'm Commuting!

oatnet   10 MW

10 MW

Re: 70mph Vectrix VX-1 maxi-scooter with LifePO4 upgrade

Post by oatnet » Jun 12 2015 12:44pm

A faster version of the time-lapse for those in a hurry:

Member 117 of 26,000+

153v DUNE BUGGY © 164v Vectrix E-Moto © 72v Norco A-line/x5403 © 60v Specialized Enduro Comp/BMC © 72v x5tracycle © 48v TF IO/BMC © 36v Kepler FrictionDrive © Spot-Welding a123 © Pelican Front Packs © Vectrix Battery Replacement © MORE !!

Image大鸡巴 Motors
Knowledge is acquired through experience, everything else is just information - Albert Einstein

granolaboy   100 W

100 W

Post by granolaboy » Jun 12 2015 1:36pm

Dude, I think you're crazy with the karma guilt. You wiped out on your bike, it doesn't mean that by selling your bike to someone else, that you are passing on that injury to them.

There are more than a few companies that make bikes way faster than yours. Any time anyone gets on two wheels, they (better) realize that in a split second they can be severely injured and ruin their lives. To that point, I think if you ride a bike (motorcycle or not) that goes 50mph or faster, you should do yourself a favour and take the motorcycle course and get your motorcycle license. I see cyclists pulling death defying stunts in traffic every day, and I tell ya, there's no way they'd be taking those risks had they taken the course and knew about riding a high speed bike in traffic.

But anyway...

Just looking at those headway cells...man...you have to at least recover your costs.

I wish your bike could be registered in Canada...otherwise I might have been planning a road trip to LA :)

Best of luck either way.
2010 EVT 168 @ 69v

cal3thousand   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by cal3thousand » Jun 12 2015 3:35pm

Now, I certainly wished I would have gotten my M1 license already.

I still think you should be getting some money for this. If profit makes your kharmic sensor go funny, I would at least pay you a modicum of money.
Get a Cycle Analyst and a Multimeter, you're still a noob if you don't have at least one of each.

Planning on posting questions or buying anything on this site? Put up your country (at minimum) on your profile. This is a worldwide forum and we haven't reached clairvoyance.

spinningmagnets   100 GW

100 GW

Post by spinningmagnets » Jun 12 2015 3:39pm

edit: I read the first post more slowly the second time, I now know I must respond in a PM

BLUESTREAK   1 kW

1 kW

Post by BLUESTREAK » Jun 13 2015 9:58am

2015-06-07 11.57.02.jpg
2015-06-07 11.57.02.jpg (191.51 KiB) Viewed 5546 times
HI OATNET. if I were close enough I would love to have it and make another (VX-4)but I have (3) already, so here is what I will do,I will make a drawing of my sablization system for you to make your on VX-4 or tell me and give me enough time and I will make you a system. YOUR FRIEND COOPER.

BLUESTREAK   1 kW

1 kW

Post by BLUESTREAK » Jun 13 2015 10:03am

2015-05-27 11.59.56.jpg
2015-05-27 11.59.56.jpg (193.34 KiB) Viewed 5546 times
BTW, I am getting old too thats why I made the (VX-4) this is me the old man :roll: :roll:

BLUESTREAK   1 kW

1 kW

Post by BLUESTREAK » Jun 14 2015 10:59am

I hope you have good success oatnet. :lol: :lol:

elevatorguy925   1 µW

1 µW

Post by elevatorguy925 » Jun 14 2015 2:50pm

Very tempting, I meet all the requirements other than being able to pick it up. I already have two VX-1 so a third is overkill.
It will probably disappear fast, looks like a nice build.

DAND214   1 GW

1 GW
Location: About 1200 miles south of Chicago, in sunny/rainny Port Richey, Florida!

Post by DAND214 » Jun 14 2015 6:07pm

All I can say is, WOW!

Dan

heathyoung   1 MW

1 MW

Post by heathyoung » Jun 15 2015 12:36am

Wow - rage-quitting a Vectrix :shock:

I seem to be accumulating them... I really must finish the second one.
GNG offroad build on Craftworks DHR with 12S2P lipo. Light, balanced, powerful, able to climb a tree.
Project Vectrii (2) - status - Finished. Nope. 38S Leaf cells are next. Now have 2 of them - Averages 50Wh/Klm

oatnet   10 MW

10 MW

Post by oatnet » Jun 15 2015 1:13pm

heathyoung wrote:Wow - rage-quitting a Vectrix :shock:
Hi Heath!

I'm not sure where the "rage" comes into this, maybe it is a local term I don't understand, but there is nothing here I feel anger about. :lol: I hope this comes across as an act of generosity, sharing so that others can find joy, like the other things I have given away here. :D

-JD
Member 117 of 26,000+

Image大鸡巴 Motors

heathyoung   1 MW

1 MW

Post by heathyoung » Jun 15 2015 6:58pm

Just being silly - its a gamer term.

Very generous offer indeed, I wouldn't be worried about Karmic repercussions, more spousal ones (I know mine would kill me if I did the same thing).
GNG offroad build on Craftworks DHR with 12S2P lipo. Light, balanced, powerful, able to climb a tree.
Project Vectrii (2) - status - Finished. Nope. 38S Leaf cells are next. Now have 2 of them - Averages 50Wh/Klm

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Jun 16 2015 2:11am

It is tempting to "apply" (and find someone in your area willing to bring it out here to me if I was picked), but I wouldn't be leaving it as it is, I'd be disassembling a fair bit of it to rebuild it into rather a different vehicle, setup for range and torque and acceleration from a stop rather than speed (as I don't need more than 20MPH cruise with the ability for a burst of quickness past that just in case of a maneuver by other traffic that braking wouldn't let me avoid). :)

So even though I don't have an M license it wouldn't apply anyway. :lol:

But it would be a shame to take a nice working vehicle and turn it into one of my "creations". :oops:

Evoforce   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Evoforce » Jun 16 2015 2:37am

Yes, I am soooo tempted too! But I have way to many incomplete projects already. But this project is exactly up my alley. My lady would kill me... I can feel the strangle hold around my neck now. Electric motorcycle is on my bucket list. And your pack is Headways just like my race bike except race bike has BMS. Arrg! Just no time for this challenge yet. This is a struggle with my soul on this one because I really want it. What a gracious offer. Sorry that you no longer feel comfortable riding this project.
"Energy is all consuming and it is never ending. It just changes form as it morphs through time and space... " Evoforce
                                                                                   Several 5403 motors, Phoenix Racer(5403) crystalyte suspension mtn bike LiFepo4 72/20.  (409) crystalyte 48 volt hardtail.   Phoenix Cruiser(5304)  LiFePo4 48/20.  First electric bike a 2009 XB 502-700 style, 36/20 sla scooter bike.  2) 2011 Nissan Leaf's in the mix.  Tesla Model S.  And solar!

macribs   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by macribs » Jun 16 2015 4:45am

I just wanted to express my respect for such an selfless act. You don't need to be worrying about your karma. If anything oatnet you should be getting karma plus points for your generous offering. I think I have never before seen such an act of generosity - giving away an electric vehicle.

You are in no way responsible for the next owners life, health or marriage (problems). Everyday people sell high powered toys and vehicle - the new owner must self take upon him to act in safe manner around and on the vehicle.

I am sure you will make one ES member extremely happy. Refreshing to see a giveaway in this day and age.

Respect man.

mvly   10 kW

10 kW

Post by mvly » Jun 16 2015 2:58pm

I would apply but dont have the m1 license. So i am out of thr running. Seems like an excellent commuter tool for anyone. Good luck for those who applied and make sure you dont kill yourself when playing with this. Hahah

outkast15   100 µW

100 µW

Post by outkast15 » Jun 19 2015 11:48pm

I cant get this deal either...no M1 :(

oatnet   10 MW

10 MW

Post by oatnet » Jul 02 2015 3:15pm

Thanks to all who submitted an application, in the end there were (6) people on the list that I believed had sufficient qualifications to have success with the bike. The Vectrix has now been adopted by Will, who is an experienced rider, had a NiMh Vectrix and a few project Vectrix's. In addition to find someone i thought could manage the risk of riding a motorcycle, the risk of high voltage packs, have safe storage, and be likely to use it, I hoped I wouldn't have to ship it far. Will had the bonus of being nearby (making the transport "green") and said if selected he could pick it up the next day.

He arrived in a current generation Rav 4EV, to coordinate the flatbed that transported the bike, and we spent a few hours going over the idiosyncrasies of the pack and modifications to the bike, how to balance it, why the onboard charger is mismatched to the pack and not a good idea, etc etc. I was pleased to see the cells appeared to be pretty well balanced, so Will should be able to do a monitored bulk charge, single-cell balance all ethe individual cells to recover the pack.

It was very hard to see my trusty steed ride off into the sunrise, but I am glad to have found someone to care for it.

-JD
Member 117 of 26,000+

Image大鸡巴 Motors

cwah   10 GW

10 GW

Post by cwah » Jul 02 2015 6:30pm

price?
Help me find my stolen electric brompton: http://bit.ly/1a0vbBC and Bosch Sinus B3 http://bit.ly/1eV0WQz

BLUESTREAK   1 kW

1 kW

Post by BLUESTREAK » Jul 02 2015 7:26pm

2015-02-22 14.26.47.jpg
HI OATNET, glad you have moved it to the right person but sorry you have to let it go. I guess I am the only VECTRIX person left here at ES makes me feel kind of lonely.maybe WILL can come here so I won't have to feel so alone. anyway OATNET thanks for your company and good advice on everything. COOPER. :) :( :mrgreen:

oatnet   10 MW

10 MW

Post by oatnet » Jul 03 2015 6:15pm

cwah wrote:price?
Zero. Nada. Free. Gift. See original posting. :D I didn't put "Free" in the title, everyone likes something free but I was looking for people who wanted a Vectrix.

-JD
Member 117 of 26,000+

Image大鸡巴 Motors

Cosmictech   1 µW

1 µW

Post by Cosmictech » Jul 06 2015 4:19pm

Hello there, I drive my Vectrix VX-1 in all types of weather (sans snow), when it works. I just retired as a mechanical engineer (and average machinist) from Michigan State University Particle Physics group (CERN/LHC/ATLAS/Tilecal) after 33 years. I'm not a Physicist - "I just make experiments work." I worked with a 10kv system for ~2 years. I have worked on or built or designed and built so many "screwball" projects I can't begin to remember them all (design build special machines, contract parts out, and expensive manual labor). I'm in a discussion with a Chinese supplier to try and come up with a drop-in replacement using prismatic cells and a designed for BMS all for ~$1500, shipping has not been discussed but shipping included comes with smaller groups of cells (~40V @100A). I'd love to be able to keep one Vectrix running all of the time (like the old joke about owning a Jaguar, own 2, drive one while the other is in the shop).
I use uShip for all of my two wheel purchases (and a mediochre sp? 3 wheel scooter). At uShip what I bid for is the shipping I receive: "Vectrix VX-1 scooter with many spare parts." bla,bla,bla...

Regards, Cosmictech
Oh, back when radio/TV had tubes I worked in a repair shop but I'm still only 64.

oatnet   10 MW

10 MW

Post by oatnet » Jul 08 2015 8:11pm

Thanks for your interest cosmictech, but unfortunately the adoption was announced a few posts up.

-JD
Member 117 of 26,000+

Image大鸡巴 Motors

Osbold   1 µW

1 µW

Post by Osbold » Nov 24 2016 1:36am

mvely wrote:I would apply but dont have the m1 license. So i am out of thr running. Seems like gynectrol is excellent commuter tool for anyone. Good luck for those who applied and make sure you dont kill yourself when playing with this. Hahah
Hi Oatnet just found this and thought it was very cool. Any update on your project?
Last edited by Osbold on May 16 2017 5:10am, edited 2 times in total.