Step down converter for esc possible ?

Bazaki

10 kW
Hi All,

I have something like this:
http://www.dx.com/p/lm2596-dc-dc-step-down-vehicle-power-supply-module-green-350239#.VM_Np9JwthE

For example : If I use a 10s lipo for an electric skateboard and I have an ESC controller that needs a 4.5-6v stand alone battery, can I also use a stepdown converter like this ?

I am afraid to blow up my esc in case the converter is not isolated.

If it would work I won't have to bring a second battery.

Any idea ?

You might be better off using a UBEC which gives out 6v/7v versus one of those. That one looks adjustable and if it incorrectly or accidentally changes it's output voltage. Your unit can end up burning out. As with a UBEC, it will only give out 6/7v max depending on the UBEC.

If you adjust the regulator before plugging it into your controller, it shouldn't be a problem. You can glue down the pot adjustment screw if you're paranoid about it turning, but the one in your link uses a worm gear and should basically be vibration-proof.

10S lipos peak at 42v, and the standard non-HV version of the 2596 regulators are only rated for 40v, though.

OK, never heard of an UBEC, thanks I also see some for 14s lipo.

About the cheap regulators, I was just wondering if it is possible, so I don't blow the controller since the main battery is connected to the ESC and also to the regulater that goes to the ESC. A UBEC is 100% isolated I guess

A UBEC is just a 5V/6V/7V regulator with a fancy name; essentially just the circuit you posted but with a fixed voltage.

Don't see why it would be any more isolated.

Back