Electric drift trikes

What is the optimal power levels for a drift trike? I see 500w to 3kW builds. Another one: which one is more fun, the seated one or the kneeling one?

Attachments

• Drift trike2.png
    Drift trike2.png
    129.2 KB · Views: 6,617
  • Drift trike.png
    Drift trike.png
    144.1 KB · Views: 6,617
Seated is way better and ~1kw is lots when I run mine higher its not as fun. If you have to much power you just keep frying the front tire.

Somehow i thought that the kneeling one is better because you are more in control with your body and while seating you are more constraint by the seat. I just thought i'd like to get one made. Have plenty of scrap to make something nice.

I like the ones that have foot pegs off the wheel. I think it makes it more comfortable. On the videos guys are holding their legs lifted off on turns.

agniusm said:
I like the ones that have foot pegs off the wheel. I think it makes it more comfortable. On the videos guys are holding their legs lifted off on turns.
I put the foot pegs on the forks above the wheels but you keep you legs on most of the time its only when you have a EPIC drift you need to lift a foot off 1 peg.

I admit I've never tried a kneeling drift trike but I'm with Arlen on the front wheel/fork pegs. My trike runs a 1000 watt Golden Motor MPIII, but as I use a 16" motorcycle tire on the 20" hub motor wheel, I'm planning to add a second battery and put one of my 3000 watt 80 amp controllers on it. With the added mass (and traction) of the multi ply motorcycle tire and the extra grip of the HDPE sleeves I run on the back wheels, it could benefit from a bit more power as I lose speed on the long or uphill drifts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TusWPtvo-gY

sorry this thread was kinda slow to start, so I didn't check it for a while.
here's my 2cts : I have a 1kw (leaf) motor and it's plenty of power, but I'm not happy with the controller (26A max), I already blew up a fuse. I'll try to upgrade.
I have pegs on the front wheel. I have a friend who is building a gasoline one with pegs of the wheel. he already had the trike turning upside down due to one of the pegs bumping to something on the road. my friend uses friction drive and a chainsaw motor which has insane torque. he says that he is eating a lot of front tires!

anyway I like your mounts nowind, I have another bmx fork laying around so I considered switch for them for an easier mount but your solution is quite nice

OK. Took your advice and started on my trike. Some stuff i got laying around so i have knocked up a frame. I found a mini bike fork in the trash and made it to suit part of the frame i also salvaged from the dumpster. I had some tubing so my progress is good:

20150204_142908.jpg

20150204_142847.jpg

20150204_142902.jpg

20150218_180444.jpg

20150218_180421.jpg

I had 24 cells of A123's but 3 went duds, so i salvaged 16 good ones to make 48V pack with few spares. i still need to weld aluminium box and make a cover but all in all its going good. Tomorrow i am going to pick up 1kW front motor and 40A controller + thumb throttle and charger, i guess for this contraption thumb should be better, what ya think?! I will lace up the motor in Alex Rims DX32 20" and have a hookworm mounted as i have spares of them. Have a Tektro comp disc brake at hand, so will use it.
I still need to source 2 go kart wheels cause i like the way they look on these trikes but which ones are best to get? I was going for Jets at 130mm wide with 17mm axle bearings. Good stuff
The wheelbase is 1100mm, the width at the rear will be 1000mm and headtube angle is something like 20*-25* from vertical. Any errors i made here?
I cant source a decent seat for little money, but i think i can make on myself, something like OCD has, will get some use of the sawing machine i have :D Thats about it

I've just finished rebuilding my drift trike to kneel on instead of sit on.... and I can report now first hand, kneeling blows sitting down out of the water.
You can drift much much better, you can get the back end to flick much much easier, just all around, its better imo. The ability to shift your weight is a big plus, and having your weight further forward gives you a lot more traction on the front wheel, so faster too. I actually got some drifts this afternoon where I got the back end in front of the front wheel and kept going, I haven't been able to do that sitting down.

If you haven't tried it, do it :)

Sounds like your built your trike wrong. I could be any amount of a drift incl 180 backwards and still pull out of it. As well I never needed to flick or kick out the back end the sliders I used are so slippery its not even funny. As for weight on the front wheel I made my seat so I can adjust it forward and backward for a better position.

After the first Drift Trike based on Traid Components with GM Electronics, i decidet to build a second one from scratch.

I want something special with a bit more punch, so i decided to go with the CRO & Sabvoton @ 20S Lipo ...

The main Part ist a Custom Frondend, because i dont get a fork with 150mm Dropouts...

The Frame isnt ready so far, still not sure about the material, Steel or Aluminium, so it will take some time to finish!

First picture of laced Cro-V2 in 16" Moped Rims with 2.75" Enduro tires, and Custom Fork Bridges (what is the right english word?)

Attachments

• 20150305_194716-w750-h750.jpg
    20150305_194716-w750-h750.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 6,310
  • 20150315_193053-w750-h750.jpg
    20150315_193053-w750-h750.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 6,310
  • 20150315_193128-w750-h750.jpg
    20150315_193128-w750-h750.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 6,310
Double crown or triple tree.

One of these is high up on my build to do list......been on my mind for a few years and I think it is about darn time to make one happen for myself. Thanks for inspiration all!

I got to say, kneeling instead of sitting can seem awkward at first but your video shows that it clears the front wheel space. I already had some scratches at my leg for being too close to the front wheel when turning

It feels loads less awkward to me. Feels much more controllable, even more stable which is counter intuitive. I guess because you can apply body movement far more than if you're sitting down.
I haven't got a lot of seat (sic) time in it yet though. I'm achieving sliding with less inertia needed by shifting my weight.

The next one I will experiment with the head angle a little, I don't think you need it to be as slack (26" ish) as you do with a seated trike.

Hi I was wondering if anyone could actually direct to somewhere I can buy a kneel on drift trike I would really appriciate it and if not could you walk me through on how to convert one thanks

Hi guys. My garage built an electric drift trike statine from a totale Custom Project. The trike will be user in events and stunt show so The rider ask for something Fast & Furious Style.
Frame Project and made starting from a gokart rear alle, fork enlarged and reinforced, Cromotor V1 tuned on 18" rim with 18x3.0 wheel, kelly controller 150a peak, 2 x 13S Sony vtc4

http://youtu.be/sDGSZhZhNjE

http://youtu.be/b5uGtAPePFc

Some time is gone since my last post, but in the meantime i finished the prototype of my CroV2 Sabvoton 20S Drift Trike.
Hang Loose
NoWind
[youtube]3ATFBmApcM4[/youtube]

Back