Carbon fibre electric longboard

jacobbloy

100 W
I'm also hoping to do a test order for some carbon fibre foam core longboard decks.
I know the company who makes evolve carbon decks but there heat mould fee is $1500 and the decks are $300 each for samples under 100!

That have offered to do some normal airbag decks for me so there is no mould fee for testing! I have to order 10 decks and they are $200 each usd.
The design I want to do is similar to the rayne rival deck but with electronics holes in the deck.

can any one suggest any other methods of doing this, I want nothing hanging under the deck!

Iv looked at nomex or alloy honeycomb.

image.jpg

Nomex isn't that hard to make using a wood and nomex combo and you can get some good 3M glue to do the shape moulding quick and then cover the rest in carbon fibre but price is up there!

[youtube]nsnv643uZoU[/youtube]

My other option is for $360 usd I can have a completely 6065 alloy deck made with a lid on top and bottom! Also very heavy.
But I can remove all heat sinks from bms and ESC and basically have a giant cooling box for all my electronics! But if there's a big short and I don't insulate good enough I could get a good shock!
The foam core will be 16mm thick with 1.5mm carbon on top and bottom!

I have been talking to a local surfboard designer and he help me with a design to keep the deck strong.
The deck will have sections for components like battery ESC each section will be separated by cross sections of foam and fiber to keep the deck strong in the centre! There are 6 sections 70mm x 170mm big enough to fit a zippy 2s 8000mah battery pack 4 of them so 8s or 10s if you have no BMS also to fit an alien twin 120a ESC! And a Bms the alien ESC with need 4mn shaved off of the heatsink shaved off

image.jpg

The only other option I have to save cost is I can have them cut out the section in a wood longboard deck and the cover it in carbon fibre.
This Way only costs $150 usd but will be stronger but heavier but will already have a nice shape.

I want opinions and advise expireance is most welcome offers from ppl who can do at home would be good!

My sales thread for the test carbon foam or carbon food decks URL is http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=66503

Would be nice to have it all in one enclosure. I think that's more "a want" than a need. Simply, we just need a more durable, universal enclosure.

If you can make it happen would be nice. An on-board battery pack would be ideal. I might be in for one depending.

Very nice, I'm working on a design for a carbon deck myself for a current electric project with a low density core and battery housing. I currently make and sell custom longboard decks so making one for myself was a no brainer (I haven't actually bought myself a skate deck yet, just keep the proto's for myself). Would like to make them to sell to the community or as complete builds in the future.

Edit: Not a fan of the shape, the neck is too short and runs the risk of mad wheelbite, especially with the large flywheels. Being a dropthrough also adds to the problem. Also, surfers love the centre stringers, but careful how thin the edges are - having build boards with handles, the thin edges on your design are liable to break, compromising the whole deck so look into this when engineering the layup.

bandaro said:
Very nice, I'm working on a design for a carbon deck myself for a current electric project with a low density core and battery housing. I currently make and sell custom longboard decks so making one for myself was a no brainer (I haven't actually bought myself a skate deck yet, just keep the proto's for myself). Would like to make them to sell to the community or as complete builds in the future.

Would love it if you could share some expertise but you don't have to share secrets. Photos of prototypes?

great post - what about working on a Mach 1 shape ...!

Stealth-Division-Mach-1-skateboard-2.jpg

Don't have a proto with battery compartments yet, but I have made a 'proof of principle' board with a low density core and carbon bottom to test the theory I will make the electric proto on. This one turned out really well, stronger than I expected (has zero flex) so should be good to make the actual proto. I keep changing the design but not significantly, should be good to start building on the weekend, hopefully get the pressing started on monday. I'm expecting this build to take about 10 hours in the shop so hopefully have it done soon. Doing multiple pressings for a proto always takes forever to finish...

Early press and trimming:

coreprep.jpg

Finished, you can see how it steps up in thickness about 50mm into the board. Final thickness is about 16mm.

finished.jpg

A mini I built recently:

The mach is a sweet deck, but would need to tweak the shape a little, they are prone to getting wheelbite on larger wheels. Feel free to shoot me a pm to get my thoughts on a design/layup if you are building something.

Wee little update on my proto, got a box of goodies today, including the nyloc nuts. I have been pressing it up over the week in a few presses to test where the weak spots will be as I go, so I'm ready to drill some holes, inset the nuts into the deck so you only see the screw heads on the outside and lay the inside layer of uni carbon over the deck this weekend. On monday I will cut out some graphics and press the outside layer, so it looks like that first board I posted above. Battery compartments were made to fit the cells I have - 2x 6s 5000mah lipo reconfigured to fit.

After that it will be cutting the motor mount out on monday hopefully and waiting for the last bolts and switches to get here, then final assembly and I should be running. Then I can put some hours into the redesign of a controller!

Sorry for the lack of updates guys, but truth is I have been way delayed, waited over a month for some gear to embed into the layup (since started a paypal claim and re-ordered from someone else) and have a bunch of boards in the works for clients and an arts festival this weekend, as well as work. That being said, I will have a rolling prototype to test by the weekend, and it will be powered next week all going well. Will have a similar finish to the proto - same carbon weave with a piece of timber in the centre. Obviously, a very different shape, both the board styling, concave and timber graphics.

Back