The Haleakala Volcano test

lemmiwinks said:
Lowell said:
Scratch that, I'd rent the R6 for $100:

http://www.bigkahunarentals.com/

Oh yeah. Shame they don't have the R1, still, just rev the R6 a bit harder :twisted:

What Randy has consistently failed to grasp for the last few years (despite having it pointed out to him endlessly) is that his is an idea that has had it's time, and now has been overtaken. He continues to belittle the Chinese hub motors, Cyclone kits etc without ever actually trying one. I guess he doesn't want to experience first hand the fact that they are everything his bike will never be - cheap, reliable, simple and above all available.

Until then, he keeps bleating on, moving from one forum to the next as he gets moderated out of existence or simply banned altogether. Keep arguing with him if you find it entertaining by all means, but realise you'll never change his mind.
Ask Jim From Cyclone USA why he wanted my system after he rode my ebike.I need not argue.Facts are there is no ebike or moped product that would hold up in regular use in Hawaii if ebikes were legal here. Dam me if I made my own that works! What specs did Ken finaly put on his first shockray? after he got a running motor...lol. They must have blown up in his forum.
No my mind will not change from thinking that there are any avaliable ebikes, complete ebike or Emopeds that can be used in Hawaii without major relibably issues.Currie Zap, Wavecrest and E-Max already came here and burned up in less than a few weeks each. Until a quality complete ebike or moped that is more efficient is available the ebike and emoped dark ages will continue at your expense..

Stevil_Knevil said:
EbikeMaui said:
Theres a ass for every seat.

That is SO quotable!

Keep 'em coming, Randy.

:lol:

-S
Poynesianitis = one who lays on the beach all day = EcoHawaiian = the god Maui = SloarGod that caught the sun to make days longer,
They lived in Haleakala = House of the Sun
but no sun bikes in there garages because they are ilegal.
There is a Ledgend that Maui was chassing ass on a solarBike before he caught her and the sun.

You are burning pure electrons, but pissing-off the local P.D.?

Wow.

If you can't convince a cop that this is a good thing, you should spend some time practicing what you are going to tell them so that they feel stupid for pulling you over.

Really, "Yes officer, I AM riding a zero-pollution vehicle."

*for bonus points, let the cops ride your bike! *

Just an idea.. but it worked for me. Go figure, they're human too.

Stevil_Knevil said:
You are burning pure electrons, but pissing-off the local P.D.?

Wow.

If you can't convince a cop that this is a good thing, you should spend some time practicing what you are going to tell them so that they feel stupid for pulling you over.

Really, "Yes officer, I AM riding a zero-pollution vehicle."

*for bonus points, let the cops ride your bike! *

Just an idea.. but it worked for me. Go figure, they're human too.
No its not about ebikes, they could give a s. This was over electric golf cart rentals that the cops let a business use these things ilegaly on the bikeway along the state high way.They got in everyones way and I wrote what The captain said to me in the news paper.He said that these carts were legal but in fact they were NOT and the neighboorhood vehicle Rental business was told to leave soon after. The cop Capt gave me a ticket (the fallowing week after the letter in the newspaper came out) for crossong a yellow line while going around a taxi that was waiting in front of me for there fare in a restraunt up stairs from the street. I guess were even ? l was in my truck and the ticket cost me 90 bucks so I started riding my ebike more! lol They still don't know what to think of it or care.It's the only one on the island and legaly regesterd as a bicycle when a motorized bicycle fit the discription of a bicycle in the State vehicle code.I may be grandfathered in by now for four legal ebikes I registerd ?

Hello

If e-bikes are now illegal in Hawaii what's the point?

Gas prices are still so low that it would be impossible to make an e-rental system work, do the maths on it, you would be using up lipo packs at an alarming rate.

The irony about all this and this "optibike bashing" is that the opti is probably the one e-bike you could ride in Hawaii and never get stopped on because it looks to most like a normal bike, your other machine with 4 x massive car batteries is little more obvious :lol:

I am not saying the optibike is perfect or would cut it up the volcano Randy however it is more practical for stealthy e-biking around your island.

You don't seem to peddle at all on your vids, I think this also makes it more obvious to cops as well, I am not going to roast you for that either as I said we most all ride technically illegal rigs on the road, surely a nice geared hub motor developing the same power hidden inside the wheel is the way to go?

You can get them you know, I have 2 under my desk right now!

Its a shame e-bikes are banned on your island, I hope you didn't have anything to do with their decision to ban them? :wink:

Knoxie

knoxie said:
The irony about all this and this "optibike bashing" is that the opti is probably the one e-bike you could ride in Hawaii and never get stopped on because it looks to most like a normal bike, your other machine with 4 x massive car batteries is little more obvious :lol:

I am not saying the optibike is perfect or would cut it up the volcano Randy however it is more practical for stealthy e-biking around your island.

Thank you, that was the point I was trying to make (obviously not very effectively) & why I kept going on about it Opti. You'll notice that even though Randy keeps repeating that there's no ebike in existence to do the job, he then does a cute little weasel side step & leaves Optibike off the list, saying 'no, no. I'm only referring to hub motor based bikes'. I think you pegged it right on when you said that he has a hate-on for hub motors.

Well Randy, my man. What are you doing in Maui in May?

Here's your chance to put Optibike in its place. Rip Current Cyclery in Maui is taking delivery of the new 2007 Optibikes. Your chance to take one for a test ride. Craig Weakley will be there for a visit too. Seems like a great opportunity to take him up on his challange (I now prefer your french spelling of the word) or throw down one of your own. Be sure to video in case he chickens out. I don't think it's a coincidence Optibike chose Maui as the place for a dealer. I do believe you are being targeted for termination. One way or another, the world will know & the truth will be laid bare.

Time to saddle up old paint. I really hope you don't pull up lame & say you have a dentist appointment or something.

An Optibike update:

Lets see- We have been invited to the Stanford Cool Products Expo in
April where we will be unveiling an Optibike upgrade that will pretty
much be the coolest thing I have ever seen. I will be headed out to
Palo Alto for the expo and I am looking forward to meeting our fellow
exhibitors (only about a dozen), including the brilliant minds from
Tesla.

We have taken delivery of the first Optibike frames for 2007 and will
be shipping product in the next 3 weeks. We got a ton of interest in
the PDA upgrade that we announced in our newsletter, in fact, one of
our customers in LA happens to be a PDA interface programmer and will
be working with us on further development. We feel honored to have an
Optibike customer/ genius on board with this new project.

Some bad news: Someone has to head out to Maui in May to visit with
our new dealer (Scott @ Rip Current Cyclery) and deliver a few bikes.
I guess I will have take this one.

We are on track to deliver 125 Optibikes this year, and to roll out
some new features that promise to be really rad.

Happy almost spring.

Craig W.
Optibike

http://groups.google.com/group/Tidalforce/browse_thread/thread/7739ad393077dbe0/a0ca94f477b4e5a2

Hi Toorbough

Sounds like there is nowhere to run and hide!! ha ha, that will be interesting, also the upgrade sounds interesting? new frame for a more powerful motor maybe?

One thing those optbikes handle very well indeed, I know which bike I would rather be on coming down the hill this one?

ebike01_205.jpg

Or this one?

opti379.jpg

Cheers Knoxie 8)

knoxie said:
Hi Toorbough

Sounds like there is nowhere to run and hide!! ha ha, that will be interesting, also the upgrade sounds interesting? new frame for a more powerful motor maybe?

One thing those optbikes handle very well indeed, I know which bike I would rather be on coming down the hill this one?

ebike01_205.jpg

Or this one?

opti379.jpg

Cheers Knoxie 8)
I doubt Craig at Optibike wants a video of me me passing him up the volcano and having a 10 mile lead before getting to a 5000 ft elevation as I would have done in this video with a 10 mile down hill detour before I passed up all the cycletothesun race leaders for a second time.This would be the lithium ebike minus the 100 lbs I carried up this day in the video on my Huffy.By the way it IS ilegal to sell or rent any ilegal motorized vehicles in the State of Hawaii.Legal bicycles have NO motors and are required to be HUMAN POWER ONLY! Scott with the Cyclery has been ilegaly selling ebikes and renting them for a year.He will not survive in his business plan nor will whimpy, expensive Optibikes.
http://tinyurl.com/334upj

Segway purchased an exception to the hyper-restrictive, environmentally insane Hawaii state electric vehicle laws.
You just need to buy some lobbyists, Randy!

http://www.honolulupd.org/community/traffic/2003act180.htm

ELECTRIC PERSONAL ASSISTIVE MOBILITY DEVICES
AND MOTORIZED DEVICES

Posted March 06, 2006

What is an electric personal assistive mobility device?

These are devices such as the Segway. According to Act 180 of the 22nd Legislative Session, Which was later codified under Hawaii Revised Statute (HRS) Section 291C-134.5. is defined as a self-balancing, two-wheeled, non-tandem-wheeled device, designed to transport only one person, using an electric propulsion system that limits the maximum speed of the device to 12-1/2 miles per hour or less.

What are the restrictions in operating such a device?

* Operated only on public sidewalks and bicycle paths.
* Speed no greater than eight miles per hour.
* Operator must be 16 years of age or older.
* Operator must exercise due care to avoid colliding with, and shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians and those using mobility aids (wheelchairs).
* Operator must give an audible signal (i.e. horn, bell, etc.) before overtaking and passing any pedestrian.
* Operator shall wear or equip the device with reflectors and headlamp when operating between one-half hour after sunset and one-half hour before sunrise.
* No operator shall operate an electric personal assistive mobility device recklessly in disregard for the safety of persons or property.

EbikeMaui said:
I doubt Craig at Optibike wants a video of me me passing him up the volcano...(snip)

Who gives a rats a$$ what Craig wants??!
You do whatever it takes to show him up.
What, you don't want to hurt his feelings?
Sounds like you're pulling up lame already!

BTW, I don't care if you keep your lithium in a rats a$$. Just do it, head to head, mano-a-mano. If you're so concerned, ask Scott at Rip Tide when Craig is scheduled to arrive, but don't tip your hand. Then just show up & follow him out or wait for him at the base of the volcano. It's a public road, right? Nothing to stop you from just 'happen' to be going the same way. He'll assume you're just an Optibike groupie.

Still Randy

I'm pretty sure no cop on the island would notice somebody cycling along on an optibike, your machine is rather more obvious especially with both lipos bolted up and your little old legs not moving around.

You still ride your bike in direct disregard for the laws don't you? so how can you mock other people for selling electric bikes? and also don't forget it isn't illegal to buy an electric bike and use it off road, you have some good of road riding? no?

Mostly all the users on here bar a few folks run totally illegal rigs, If I turn the wick up on my bike it is 10 times the legal power limit on the road, I now restrict it on the road as Im happy at legal speeds in town, but its still technically illegal.

Sometimes you have to break laws to make laws if you catch my drift so I say keep on riding, I'm not sure the optibike could beat you without Craig peddling, but combine Craig and the optibike and I think it would be a close one.

I would love to see a race this would be a good showdown, however there are lots of other kits that would also.

Damn shame they banned e-bikes in such a great place that's retarded thinking and not exactly very earth friendly, get one of those stick on moustaches and some big sideburns and keep riding :wink:

Knoxie

Scott or Craig will NOT return my calls. I have talked with Scott last a year ago while he was trying to give WaveCrust tours. Wnen I was almost ready to get a container of Emax mopeds.Scott tried them out and they failed too.
Killing Craigs Optibike up the Volcano to any point would be fun but evidently he backed out of any challange. If anyone can set it up I will race him to any set point on the volcano for a $5000. winner take all. Place your bets! LOL I could care less if he pedaled but he must use his production Ebike that Opibike offers for sale with the included motor and batteries. I will match his battery power or use there battery packs that are equal. This would fairly compare the two ebike systems other than his pedaling.In which my motor will make up for in it's efficiency! Have Craig enter the CycleToTheSun race with his Clown Optibike to see all the human power bikes kick his ass right of the start...
http://tinyurl.com/334upj

"Bicycle" means every device propelled solely by human power upon which any person may ride, having two tandem wheels sixteen inches in diameter or greater, and including any device generally recognized as a bicycle though equipped with two front or two rear wheels.

"Motor vehicle" means every vehicle which is self-propelled and every vehicle which is propelled by electric power but which is not operated upon rails, but excludes a moped.
"Moped" means a device upon which a person may ride which has two or three wheels in contact with the ground, a motor having a maximum power output capability measured at the motor output shaft, in accordance with the Society of Automotive Engineers standards, of two horsepower (one thousand four hundred ninety-two watts) or less and, if it is a combustion engine, a maximum piston or rotor displacement of 3.05 cubic inches (fifty cubic centimeters) and which will propel the moped, unassisted, on a level surface at a maximum speed no greater than thirty miles per hour; and a direct or automatic power drive system which requires no clutch or gear shift operation by the moped driver after the drive system is engaged with the power unit.
[§291C-203] Certification of compliance. A person engaged in the business of selling mopeds shall provide to the director of finance of the county in which the mopeds are sold a certificate from the moped manufacturer that each class, type or model of moped offered for sale or sold meets the performance and equipment requirements of this part. [L 1978, c 175, pt of §15

[§291C-201] Renting or selling mopeds. (a) Every person engaged in the retail business of selling or renting mopeds shall provide the person renting or purchasing a moped with a copy of the rules for mopeds as approved by the director of transportation.

(b) Every person renting a moped to another shall keep a record for two years of the registration number of the moped so rented, the name and address of the person to whom the moped is rented, the number of the driver's license of the latter person, and the date and place when and where the driver's license was issued. This record shall be open to inspection by any police officer or the examiner of drivers or the examiner of drivers' representative. [L 1978, c 175, pt of §15; gen ch 1985]

Report Title:

County Regulation of Commercial Bicycle Tours

Description:

Authorizes the counties to regulate both guided and unguided bicycle tour businesses on state and county highways and counties shall follow federal guidelines for bicycle tours beginning from federal or state parks into state highways. (SD1)

HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
H.B. NO.

TWENTY-FOURTH LEGISLATURE, 2007
S.D. 1

STATE OF HAWAII

A BILL FOR AN ACT

RELATING TO county regulation of commercial bicycle tours.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF HAWAII:

SECTION 1. Chapter 46, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended by adding a new section to be appropriately designated and to read as follows:

"§46- Regulation of commercial bicycle tours. Any law to the contrary notwithstanding, the council of any county may adopt and provide for the enforcement of ordinances regulating commercial bicycle tours on state and county highways, including but not limited to ordinances relating to the number of tours, the number of bicycles within a tour, scheduling of tours, physical spacing of tours, rules of the road, health and safety requirements, equipment maintenance, driver and guide qualifications, driver and guide drug testing, accident procedures and reporting, and financial responsibility requirements. Counties shall follow federal guidelines for commercial bicycle tours beginning from federal or state parks and into state highways.

For the purposes of this section:

"Bicycle tour" includes both guided bicycle tours and unguided bicycle rental operations.

"County highway" has the same meaning as defined in section 264-1.

"State highway" has the same meaning as defined in section 264-1."

SECTION 2. New statutory material is underscored.

SECTION 3. This Act shall take effect on July 1, 2050.

LOL 2050 is a ways away!

And a unregesterable ebike is NOT a Bicycle or Moped.A ebike in Hawaii is a ILEGAL MOTORIZED VEHICLE! If sold or rented as a bicycle the dealer is breaking the law.

http://tinyurl.com/3bzrk5

Looking over their website
I see that the founder had essentially completed this lasting-design all the way back in 1999.

It was Optibike then and it's Optibike now.

Theirs must be the longest-running e-bike business in the USA.
What does that say?

See that their product is at basis unchanged
(the bottom bracket concentric motor, designed by the founder);
it proves that if you get it right at the first
there's not much reason to cogitate ;) further.
Just make it and run it and iron out small wrinkles.
Seven years running has done that, no starch.

http://www.optibike.com/view/Velo_News_2_December_13,_1999/

EbikeMaui said:
...Killing Craigs Optibike up the Volcano to any point would be fun but evidently he backed out of any challange. If anyone can set it up I will race him to any set point on the volcano for a $5000. winner take all. Place your bets!
In order to troll you must first find a fish

Reid Welch said:
Looking over their website
I see that the founder had essentially completed this lasting-design all the way back in 1999.

It was Optibike then and it's Optibike now.

Theirs must be the longest-running e-bike business in the USA.
What does that say?

/
It says he had a web page a long time with NO product.And their patented design is out dated by motor/controller technology and the technology of getting the most motor/pedaling efficiency by using a quality off the shelf 3 speed bicycle hub used in common with the motor and pedals... WITHOUT over gearing a crank drive with a high RMP motor.Nothing beats a direct drive wheel with a free hub and a single chain reduction as far as efficiency is concernd.

There are pictures of the product, Randy, right in the record.
It was called then the Optibike; the price was the same as it is today.
The bike was similar in look as today.
The basic is its motor: concentric with the bottom bracket.
That's an original feature I've not seen elsewhere.

If a thing is created all right at the first, it need not be tossed out in five years as trash.

The light bulb. The phonograph. The transistor. The mind.

http://www.optibike.com/view/Velo_News_December_13,_1999/
screenshot

visit the link to read all the rest ...and give it a rest Randy-- these folks aren't your fish.

Nothing beats a direct drive wheel with a free hub and a single chain reduction as far as efficiency is concerned.
Q: is your large driven wheel a freewheel? I think I heard you say that you can regen? Then it's not a freewheel and your bike cannot by pedaled -as a normal bike without e-power-.

And if this is all so, your bike is not a bike in the understood sense,
it is an e-moped, and out of my sphere of personal interest.

I, and most here on this panel, are electric-assist bicyclists.

Nothing beats a direct drive wheel with a free hub and a single chain reduction as far as efficiency is concerned.
Q: is your large driven wheel a freewheel? I think I heard you say that you can regen? Then it's not a freewheel and your bike cannot by pedaled -as a normal bike without e-power-.

opti379.jpg

I think it looks as good today as in '99. I think it's a classic.

I think a lot--so do the folks here.

Reid Welch said:
There are pictures of the product, Randy, right in the record.
It was called then the Optibike; the price was the same as it is today.
The bike was similar in look as today.
The basic is its motor: concentric with the bottom bracket.
That's an original feature I've not seen elsewhere.

If a thing is created all right at the first, it need not be tossed out in five years as trash.

The light bulb. The phonograph. The transistor. The mind.

http://www.optibike.com/view/Velo_News_December_13,_1999/
screenshot

visit the link to read all the rest ...and give it a rest Randy-- these folks aren't your fish.
A photos of prototypes do not constitute a product. Is there any proof of sales to anyone before last year ? or even last yesr lol Optibikes system ilike many other mid driving crank driving systems. It's soo stupid to gear a motor down( 30 to 1 redudtion ?) to drive the bottom bracket THEN gear it back UP 3 to 1 to drive the wheel.

Reid Welch said:

The Sram freehub has a freewheel on it for each sprocket.Yes I can get regen by pedaling the motor IF I replace the larger sprocket and freewheel and slide on a sprocket WITHOUT a freewheel.Only IF you want to pedal the motor and wheel all the time except when coasting.either the motor or pedals.Remember with 2 freewheels on the FREEHUB The freehub will freewheel until either the motor or pedals reach the wheels freewheeling speed before foward power is applied to the wheel. Shifting to what cadance you prefer the motor works great in any gear by just aplying what motor assist you desire.If you pedal faster than the motor or turn the motor off you will get PURE pedal power in any gear you like.

Back