left hand full throttle

timallen2k

100 µW
My father and I have a pair of rovers with electric motors. He is getting older and arthritis is setting in on his right hand worse than left. I need a left hand full grip throttle. All I see is some thumb and 1/2 throttles. Anyone got a place where we can get one?

This is likely not the answer you are looking for, but have you considered just putting a normal right hand full twist throttle on the left side, and having your father simply twist it away instead of towards? It would basically require twisting your hand towards you, gripping, then twisting away. I'm not sure how severe his condition is, as it might be harder to twist away if the arthritis is pretty bad. But in the meantime, that could be a good solution. There are also pushbutton throttles that might be the best method if it's a low power rover and he doesn't fine tune adjustment of the speed, just go and no-go.

You can glue a bit of pvc pipe to a thumb throttle, to convert it to full grip.

So find the left hand thumb, and make it long as you want. PVC glue does it. Leave the thumb tab, in case the glue pops while on a ride.

dogman dan said:
You can glue a bit of pvc pipe to a thumb throttle, to convert it to full grip.

So find the left hand thumb, and make it long as you want. PVC glue does it. Leave the thumb tab, in case the glue pops while on a ride.

Ooo I like that idea. And while we are on DIY solutions, what if you took a half twist (left side) and sleeved s piece of PVC over the half twist, turning it into a full twist.

Or what if you took a normal right side full twist, cut the end off so it's open on both ends, and then installed it "butt first" on the handlebar. It would have to be a uniformly round style, not the one that flares out near the end for the palm rest.

I had the same question. do some searching on here. Someone here had instructions on how to take apart a right hand throttle and make it a left hand throttle. (sorry I don't have the links).

Alternatively you can purchase the left half throttle and a right full throttle and put the full grip onto the left throttle. I'm pretty sure it would work, but I haven't done it.

I have a "2 wheel drive" Yuba mundo cargo bike that has a thumb throttle on each side. Works very well.

Back