Henry111's free tech support thread

cjh said:
Check if the Micargi has a BMX BB. If so, you will need an adapter. Also, your coaster brake will become non-useable as the BBS02 has a built-in freewheel.

I assume that you mean: On the 8fun if I pedal backward it just free wheels, therefore, the coaster brake will not work. Have I got that right?

Henry111 said:
cjh said:
Check if the Micargi has a BMX BB. If so, you will need an adapter. Also, your coaster brake will become non-useable as the BBS02 has a built-in freewheel.

I assume that you mean: On the 8fun if I pedal backward it just free wheels, therefore, the coaster brake will not work. Have I got that right?

Yes

Can the PAS (padalec) feature on the Bafang 8Fun be disconnected so that it can be operated throttle only?
I ask because I think (and I could easily be wrong) that it would make for smoother gear changing.
Yes? No?

I see the Bafang 8fun (750 watt) kit on USA dealer and distributor website priced anywhere from $500 to $800. While on alibaba I see them out of China (where they all come from anyhow) for low as $200. What's up with that?

Lowest single unit sample price in China is actually about 440.00 FOB - which means you pay shipping, if by sea it's a few weeks (ie: 1-2 months) before you receive it.. a single unit price will also be charged, about 100.00 more than the same price if you take 50-100 units or a few pallets to a container full... then you will see 400 maybe even 350 a unit but that's an investment without shipping of 35-40K USD and you must pay 30% upfront and 70% upon order completion with lead times (in addition to shipping times slow method) of 21 to 90 days because the vendors order them in many cases from Bafang Directly, as I said

In your case you would be ordering a Sample so the price would not be the bulk price (though a reputable dealer will deduct the cost paid for the sample if you place a bulk order later, it's something).

If you want the world and you want it now!? You going to pay for Express Shipping which has grown exceedingly expensive from China of late even via EMS, last quote I had for a sample BBS02 kit was 142.00 Door to Door in 5 business days + 2 lead time for my changes to be incorporated.

End result:

I paid 520 FOB for single sample (got lucky) add the 142 for shipping and total cost was $662.00 Delivered.

With that as a Sample its basically As is and while it should be their best work in the hopes you will order more, then you will pay for a fixed sample and so on and so forth till the sample meets your needs.

One further issue, when you deal with a reputable US vendor - they either have in stock, offer a discount for pre-orders while they come... but in nearly every case they offer support and the factory bafang warranty. This is because they do bulk work with the vendors (I don't know a single vendor who deals directly with Bafang to be perfectly honest, not when it comes to ordering it's all done through vendors). If you order from China, you get the hidden costs and pay a small amount less (about 125.00) but have to suffer all the difficulties to obtain a sample unit which isn't really simple if you've never done it before and it's 12 hours offset to US timezones, so their mid day is our mid night... add the second language english and communication is difficult to say the least. If the vendor even allows you to return the item for a new sample (not likely they usually just say they will take it off your bulk order, you have no intent on making so it's a lose situation for you solo) you still have shipping costs in both directions and if expedited thats almost 300.00 to a from China.

With a US Vendor shipping is reasonable and I don't know a single Reputable online vendor (not all are, ask around first or go with a from a known Member purchase) who would even make you pay return shipping, they would email you a PDF return label to ship it back and send you a new one immediately. Their goal is satisfied customers, the whole process even using ground is 4-6 days :)

That's my .02 c I hope it helps you understand the pricing over the map.

-Mike

PS: No I don't have any BBS02-750 currently, sorry or I may offer you the ES special which comes to 12% over my net cost :)

What you wind up doing is your business and I'm not attempting to

mwkeefer, thank you for all that good information.
Only one thought:
I have yet to find USA vendors any more reliable than those in China.

While you have a point, it's only because there aren't many us vendors with sufficient mechanical engineering to sell you kit, pack and proper chainring and freewheel or cassette to set you up. None of the Chinese vendors can do this and ice dealt with my fair share of our right dishonest China vendors.

-Mike

mwkeefer said:
Lowest single unit sample price in China is actually about 440.00 FOB - which means you pay shipping, if by sea it's a few weeks (ie: 1-2 months) before you receive it.. a single unit price will also be charged, about 100.00 more than the same price if you take 50-100 units or a few pallets to a container full... then you will see 400 maybe even 350 a unit but that's an investment without shipping of 35-40K USD and you must pay 30% upfront and 70% upon order completion with lead times (in addition to shipping times slow method) of 21 to 90 days because the vendors order them in many cases from Bafang Directly, as I said

In your case you would be ordering a Sample so the price would not be the bulk price (though a reputable dealer will deduct the cost paid for the sample if you place a bulk order later, it's something).

If you want the world and you want it now!? You going to pay for Express Shipping which has grown exceedingly expensive from China of late even via EMS, last quote I had for a sample BBS02 kit was 142.00 Door to Door in 5 business days + 2 lead time for my changes to be incorporated.

End result:

I paid 520 FOB for single sample (got lucky) add the 142 for shipping and total cost was $662.00 Delivered.

With that as a Sample its basically As is and while it should be their best work in the hopes you will order more, then you will pay for a fixed sample and so on and so forth till the sample meets your needs.

One further issue, when you deal with a reputable US vendor - they either have in stock, offer a discount for pre-orders while they come... but in nearly every case they offer support and the factory bafang warranty. This is because they do bulk work with the vendors (I don't know a single vendor who deals directly with Bafang to be perfectly honest, not when it comes to ordering it's all done through vendors). If you order from China, you get the hidden costs and pay a small amount less (about 125.00) but have to suffer all the difficulties to obtain a sample unit which isn't really simple if you've never done it before and it's 12 hours offset to US timezones, so their mid day is our mid night... add the second language english and communication is difficult to say the least. If the vendor even allows you to return the item for a new sample (not likely they usually just say they will take it off your bulk order, you have no intent on making so it's a lose situation for you solo) you still have shipping costs in both directions and if expedited thats almost 300.00 to a from China.

With a US Vendor shipping is reasonable and I don't know a single Reputable online vendor (not all are, ask around first or go with a from a known Member purchase) who would even make you pay return shipping, they would email you a PDF return label to ship it back and send you a new one immediately. Their goal is satisfied customers, the whole process even using ground is 4-6 days :)

That's my .02 c I hope it helps you understand the pricing over the map.

-Mike

PS: No I don't have any BBS02-750 currently, sorry or I may offer you the ES special which comes to 12% over my net cost :)

What you wind up doing is your business and I'm not attempting to
That's is a really nice write up on the state of buying nearly anything single from China. Alibaba deals sounds so great until you factor in all the things you point out. The sad thing is so many consumers just shop price and value service so low or expect it for free, it makes it so hard for legit businesses to survive by ensuring customers are fully supported post sale.

Shipping ex China is a puzzle ?
Tons of cheap <$5 stuff on EBay with "free" shipping....(some quite bulky, bags ,glass jars etc,) whilst we all know actual shipping must cost much more than the item value ???

Another Ebay vendor (Asian Resources .Com ?) , is listing the 8 Fun 750W kit (no battery) for Au$635 (<$500 US? ) with free shipping !
Personally, I would happily pay the extra $100 for a local pick up supply.

One should understand that most sellers on alibaba are not looking for single piece sales. They are looking for distributors and dealers who will purchase in larger quantities, and most of whom are willing to wait the 45 to 60 days for delivery by sea which is cheaper. Note that China suppliers always state their MOQs higher than they are actually willing to accept at the same quantity/unit price. For example, I buy most of my stuff in 20-piece lots and get the same unit price even though they may have stated their MOQ as 50 to 100.
Of course, you should do your research before purchasing from any vendor, China, USA, or Tim-buck-too.
"Ya gotta kiss a lot a ugly frogs before you find the..."
The recommendations made by members here are usually worth a good look.

I am considering a ride to Las Vegas from Los Angeles. I will be riding on 750 watts direct drive and 36 volt/ 14Ah Lithium batteries. My plan is to carry two on the rear rack and a second two, one on each side of reinforced saddle bag. Total battery weight, 40 lbs. and I weigh 150. I will carry one change of cloths and a sleeping bag. And that's it. Anyone have suggestions as to the best routes to take. Food, recharge sites along the way, etc. I'm sure everybody knows that we cannot ride on the I-15 or any freeway.

I am planning e-bike trip to Las Vegas from Los Angeles.
I would like advice as to good routes, food and charging stops, etc. I am sure everybody knows that we cannot ride I-15 or any freeway.
I will be riding 750 watt, direct drive, carrying four 36volt/14Ah lithium batteries--two on the rear rack and one in each side of a re-enforced saddle bag. I will carry one change cloths, a sleeping bag, flashlight, spare tube, and tools. That's it.
I am especially in need of route recommendations.

first you need to read how many people are run over by car on city streets before mixing with them on the highway.

there are still a few people who are not texting or taking selfies while blasting down the highway in their isolated cocoon of death. the reason these people are not texting is because they have a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other hand.

Henry111,

This sounds like an adventure. I am envious.

I have not ridden to Vegas, but I have escaped LA up the 395 to the Owens Valley about 22 years back with my brother. We took the San Gabriel (river) bike trail up near the 210, then took side streets to the 15. I know you could probably take the Santa Ana trail to the 15 and take side streets from there. Getting through the pass to Hesperia was fun. Back then there was an old highway that was closed to cars that got us most of the way. We had to ride about 1.5 miles on the 15. We were lazy so we took our chances. Its probably more bike friendly now. If you are camping, there are lots of places to stop, back then some campsites were clothing optional and the people were very helpful. Not sure if they are still around.

My Brother has done the ride to Vegas and says its no problem but bring lots of water.

Good luck!

Henry111 said:
I see the Bafang 8fun (750 watt) kit on USA dealer and distributor website priced anywhere from $500 to $800. While on alibaba I see them out of China (where they all come from anyhow) for low as $200. What's up with that?

I got mine from www.lectriccycles.com

In Stock

What do you guys think about this 16 mosfet 1300 watt kit on Amazon selling 850 + 47.84 shipping. It's even printed on the motor, "16 mosfet." :roll:

http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Bafang-8fun-Version-Controller/dp/B00LGC3QIY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424765596&sr=8-1&keywords=bafang+bbs02

If you pay close attention to the prices on the ebay listings you'll notice that the free shipping items actually have the shipping cost figured into the price. Just look for too similar products one with free shipping and one with shipping coming from China and you'll see what mean.

I found the best deal, with an Australian retailer for the BBS01 kit: emax-ebikes.com.au/store/p25/BAFANG_BBS01_Kit.html

In Aussie dollars for $865 (US$683) with the code THESPHERE, I am getting the 350W Bafang kit, with optimal programming, and a 13AH Dolphin battery pack and free shipping inside Australia (and my place in Melbourne). Can't find a deal anywhere else that can compete with this, even direct from China so I am really happy, I also have a warranty and support with someone who speaks English as a first language.

This is what Paul from EM3ev told me when i asked about the "16 MOSFET version"

"it is figment of somebodies vivid imagination, so they can tell lies about their product, to sell a standard product to unsuspecting people who think they are getting something special. There is no such thing as a 16 fet controller for a 3 phase BLDC motor, it’s 100% BS.

The 750W kit is a 9 fet, end of story. Just because it has a 25A controller and can run at a little over 50V, does not make it a 1300W motor either. It's rated 750W output power by the maker, that is what it is, end of story."

+1 on eMax eBikes --- BBS02 shipped to the US for a little over $500; ordered yesterday, and I'll report on it when it's delivered.

Because the fan is mounted on one side of the Magic Pie 3 motor, has anyone had difficulty centering the motor (front) between the forks? If so, how did you overcome the problem?

Back