[update] kona stinky

arar1971 said:
If a noob like me read this, please note, when "they" say "noisy motor", it's like a "brrrrr..." or a "grrrr..."
when you get the right combination it would really make "wiiiizzzz..." :lol:

what you mean exactly because my 9c motor started to make noise like brrrr or grrrr and sometimes when on hard load a metallic pin scratching noise.
are you sure that you're in the right thread? if you got problems with your motor why not start a new thread?

did small upgrades recently, including new bigger chainring, and remote shunt for the power meter
quite happy about the result, more than 2000W for a cheap -900Euros- project -
- weight is well distributed : the bike handles nicely
- radial spokes seem to survive so far,
- still haven't done torque arms but machined the frame instead to get a proper fit for the axle, will see if it last...

Here are some GPS records I got along one ride in my area :

- The left one is the typical hill this potential commuter will have to deal with - it scored a 23km/h recorded average speed (I believe it was actually higher looking at the chart), for a 7km climb of about 600m denivelation - power meter showed a consumption of 340Wh at the top of the hill and peak power of 2050Wp

- The right one is the way back home + a bit of the initial hill to reach BMS LVC : it shutted down at about 800Wh, which is less than the specified performance of the battery (48V x 20Ah = 960Wh)

one good thing I noticed, I could twist the throttle to have very low assistance, like 10W, so I am happy with the sensitivity.
It looks like that the battery is now charging to 53.3V, which seems to become lower and lower charge after charge, is that possible ? is it normal?
I also attempted to repeat that ride after a 10h charge - but got shutdowns along the first hill - I am not sure what's going on

I really like this motor with its 297mm outside diameter, could have a nice torque advantage over a 9c style/size motor if the stator/magnet width is close to 27/28mm, but i would guess its probably 20mm, do you have any specs on it did you weigh it before fitting, would like to find a seller for motor only in Asia as this would be cheaper option for me.

Hi Emoto, thxs for posting, I visited your build thread and realized you like "supermoto" -

so do I, here is my VOR530SME:
651442nooovor.jpg

Regarding the motor, I don't have much infos about it - it's my first kit, I chose it because of the 56 magnets and the price, it seems quite unknown on endless-sphere, I have seen it installed along the "vector" thread and probably "Artur" has better infos than me.
items.1370550381-9.b.jpg

As far as ordering is concernend, mine was shipped directly from china, I believe you can use the "eBay" contact from the original link if you are interrested to get one :
The Kit

dnmun said:
48Vlifepo4 is 58-59V fully charged and the 36V is 45V DC fully charged so it was about 100-105V DC.

I am getting familiar with this set up. I think the autonomy should be higher,
I checked the voltages after several hours battery connected to the charger (even after charger stopped charging):
- the voltage measured at the charger output is 53.6V
- the battery voltage is also 53.6V at the end of charge
- the powermeter shows a bit less - 53,4V

I seek for advice : the battery datasheet mentions a
"Charge Voltage limit" of 54.6V and a "Protected Charge Voltage" of 55. 25V -
dnmun mentions even more...

I am pretty sure I could get closer to the specified battery capacity if the charger would charge 1 or 2V more
Does the charger needs some tweeking ?
If the charger supplies more than the battery specs values above,
does it mean the BMS will take over to stop charging ?
Sorry, I am a bit lost there

EDIT :
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=62058&p=934521&hilit=charger+voltage#p934521
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=51407

CHARGER-LI-PO.jpg

Now upgraded with :
- boxxer RC coil fork + Nukeproof governor DH Wheel w. 203mm front disk brake
- BETD rear linkage plates for 6.5" rear travel
- crazy bob tyre at the back + GEAX sturdy at the front

still a bit desappointed with the battery, get 18.2Ah at best, got issues with motor phase wire connectors melting, fuse connectors melting,
did the spokes torque tightening with an electrical portable srewdriven : they never moved since then
still no torque arms : do dye penetrant check from time to time (note the red color on the frame around the back axle), no crack yet...

Nice to see you over on the bike forum. I've got a Kona Stinky with the bafang 750w. Nice choice for the front suspension. Hope this hasn't cut into your board time like it has mine. Don't know the laws in Switzerland for riding single track with that, but I know there are a ton of good trails I'd love to ride there.

Hi Dirk, do you have a built thread for your stinky?
you got the point, I found out I was enjoying a lot of offroad time with that bike, so upgraded the suspensions -
switzerland seems very tolerant with the use of their mountain trails (you can see 4WD and 2 stroke enduro motocross using them :shock: , which says all IMO - I guess the same goes for single track - still have a lot to discover around my location)

This hasn't cut much my e-board riding time, to be honest I prefer riding my e-board even if both can hardly be compared

Funny to see how close the geometry between bomber and this stinky are :

I am having "power cut" around 17Ah while the voltage remains above the controller LVC, I am forced to admit that one of the cell goes below 3V and BMS kicks in (the voltage rises a bit and I can still ride up to 18.6Ah but keep having "power cut" from 17Ah to 18.6Ah)

Since Hobbyking 6s/16Ah are not restocked, I did a small enquiry and found those :
2014-06-14_06.04.36.jpg

Ausführung 6S2P
Spannung 22.2V
Kapazität 16'000mAh
Dauerentladestrom 35C (560.0A)
Kurzzeitiger Entladestrom 70C (1120.0A)
Gewicht 2461g
Abmessungen LxBxH 168 x 116 x 52mm
Balanceranschluss XH
Stecksystem Litze
Technologie LiPo
Marke Swaytronic

They are being sold @ 200CHFr (~160E) i.o 459CHFr - which seemed a good additionnal reason to order 3 of them and to plan an 18s upgrade of this built

http://www.swaytronic.ch/LiPo-Akku---Swaytronic/LiPo-Akku-6S-22-2V-251/35C---70C-295/Swaytronic-LiPo-Akku-6S2P-22-2V-16-000mAh-35C-70C-.html

HK 6s 16Ah multistar
Minimum Capacity: 16000mAh
Configuration: 6S2P / 22.2V / 6Cell
Constant Discharge: 10C
Peak Discharge (10sec): 20C
Pack Weight: 1920g
Pack Size: 173 x 74 x 68mm
Charge Plug: JST-XH
Discharge Plug: XT90
Capacité(mAh) 16000
Configuration (s) 6
Décharge (c) 10
Poids (g) 1920
Max Charge Rate (C) 2
Longueur-A(mm) 173
Hauteur-B(mm) 74
Largeur-C(mm) 68

Wh/pack : 22.2 x 16Ah =355.2Wh
Volume :
- HK : 0.87l :arrow: 408Wh/l
- ST: 1.01l :arrow: 351Wh/l
weight :
- HK : 1.9kg :arrow: 187Wh/kg
- ST : 2.4kg :arrow: 148Wh/kg

Alps! What's up man!

Reading a lot about your build. I also have a Stinky that I'm looking to convert, could you perhaps send me a picture of your drop out slots? I'm concerned about mounting my motor in the slots as they are now. It's pretty great that you're getting by without the use of a torque arm. Any info on your motor mounting would really help. Thanks! Subbed!

Hi, thxs for posting,
I checked and haven't found detailled pictures, I will try to post some within the next days.
actually what I did is quite simple : since the original drop out slot were like 3mm short in depth to lodge the hub, I took away those 3mm with a file, I think they hold the torque without torque arms mostly because :

. washers installed to distribute the nut load
. no regen
. not too powerfull kit
. EASTON aluminium alloy, USA made frame (maybe it helps too...)

...I somehow hoped they would crack, then I could shift the kit on a vector/revell frame :( :twisted:

markw said:
could you perhaps send me a picture of your drop out slots? I'm concerned about mounting my motor in the slots as they are now.

Hi markw,
this is how it looks :

See the circle from the nut/washer.
(don't mind the red color traces, this is "dye penetrant" I use when investigating for cracks).

Ok, it^s coming along

put some stickers there and there while the batteries are cycling
(you probably all know "HOPE"... "DURET" is a small local ski brand I know since my childhood,
they survive by selling the fatest widest ski ever)
http://www.duretskis.com/
http://www.duretskis.com/clients/duretskis/images/ski/monstrefatski.jpg

As it is now, stable and going well (damaged the original controller, got a Grinfineon 40A instead, had an unsuccessfull attempt to run on a mid drive kit-twisted free wheel, bought an MXUS 1000W motor and installed an 18s Bluetooth BMS, run mostly around 1000W to 1500W and sometimes up to 2500W when needed)
B70F135F-7032-4E32-9923-DBA131A625BB - Copie.jpeg

8370C008-FC35-48FA-96DC-7EDE45A60CF8 - Copie.jpeg

Back