Speedict Ebike - Anybody seen/tried this?

Speedict has launched new product, which is BMS ? able to live view 13 multi-chemistry battery cells + balance, support both iOS and Android now ...

Attachments

• 10354608_655015571288260_4511604432256161895_n.jpg
    10354608_655015571288260_4511604432256161895_n.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,640
  • 10410252_655015567954927_154853050406646810_n.jpg
    10410252_655015567954927_154853050406646810_n.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,640
  • 2-phones.png
    2-phones.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 3,517
rosich said:
Speedict has launched new product, which is BMS ? able to live view 13 multi-chemistry battery cells + balance, support both iOS and Android now ...

Good find! Speedict do some good products and this could be another one of them.

The key word here is 10s or 13s. Shame because for me 12s or 18s LiPo balance, support would be much more attractive.

http://speedict.com/
rosich said:

Can 2x BMS be seriesed, for 20S?

speedict said:
megacycle said:

it is not with stacking feature, when connect 20s with 2 x neptunes, you only able to live view 10s group at a time.
That would be okay for me if the 2 neptunes screens can be viewed alternately.
What is the maximum through current?
and the maximum cell balancing current?
are the cell voltages programmable, eg like 3.60V instead of 3.65V for Lifepo4 ?

I'm going to give one a try. It's really good timing because I've just ordered a load of cells to build my next battery, which will be 13S. I'll give a full report when I get it.

Who's going to be first to get one up and running?

d8veh said:
I'm going to give one a try. It's really good timing because I've just ordered a load of cells to build my next battery, which will be 13S. I'll give a full report when I get it.

Who's going to be first to get one up and running?
Despite my post over on Pedelecs I might well give it a go, but I don't know if you can order the Neptune Guard board yet. The price on the website is just for the Neptune cell monitor / balancer, the Neptune Guard will be roughly €49. I see from this thread that the Neptune Guard board includes a Coulomb counter and soft switch, both of which would be useful.

D8veh, you've used a lot of their things. The Neptune website states the connector to the balance wires is via a PH 2.0 connector, i.e. 2mm pitch. Is this usual for them? It would be a little annoying as I've just put on an 11-way JST-XH (2.5mm pitch) plug onto my pack for balance charging!

Michael

I'm building my battery from scratch, so I can use the correct connector. The old standard was 2.5mm pitch for the pins, but I'm seeing more and more 2mm ones on OEM batteries now. I've had to change over a few, which is a bit tedious. I just cut the wires, solder and heatshrink them.

mfj197 said:
Despite my post over on Pedelecs I might well give it a go, but I don't know if you can order the Neptune Guard board yet. The price on the website is just for the Neptune cell monitor / balancer, the Neptune Guard will be roughly €49. I see from this thread that the Neptune Guard board includes a Coulomb counter and soft switch, both of which would be useful.

D8veh, you've used a lot of their things. The Neptune website states the connector to the balance wires is via a PH 2.0 connector, i.e. 2mm pitch. Is this usual for them? It would be a little annoying as I've just put on an 11-way JST-XH (2.5mm pitch) plug onto my pack for balance charging!

Michael

don't worry we can provide 2.5mm to 2.0 mm converter board for free !

Any chance of answering these questions-
Is there an operating manual?
are the cell voltages programmable, eg like 3.60V instead of 3.65V for Lifepo4 ?

Hello Speedict

I would like to buy your new product. Have few questions

1. When you starting to ship?
2. I dont see energy consumption per km also no estimated range. How come? I think this is the most usefull info for mist users. Will you plan to implement also these function? (Is it possible to attach speed sensor to Neptune, to have it accurate also when phone and gps is off. You can implement also autocalibration.) Would be nice to have chart like in Lexus of kilometer consumption per last 10 km.
3. I dont see Neptun Guard on your page. Or am I blind? ;))

Cheers

I've been using my Mercury for a few weeks now. My usage is pretty limited, just datalogging of volts, amps, and GPS. I'll probably get around to wiring up speed and temperature sensors but I don't anticipate using any throttle limiting, PAS, etc. And I keep my phone in my bag, so I'm not looking at real-time data. A handlebar mount is something else I might get around to, but the logging is my primary need for this device.

For the first couple weeks I was frustrated because I couldn't get consistent logging - about half of my data was lost in some way, and for the GPS data it was an even higher percentage. I think this was mainly due to two things - buffered data not being written when disconnecting power, and memory filling up. I've been successful in getting complete data if I consistently observe the following guidelines:

(1) Download data or force a new data record before disconnecting power
(2) Disconnect power when not riding or charging
(3) Erase data records after every few hours of use

At this point there's only one aspect of datalogging that I'm not happy about, namely timestamping. The first column in the log file is just a set of incrementing integers, which appears to be seconds elapsed. There are time stamp on the data records screen in the app, but they're not always accurate. For example, I have two consecutive records from last week, the first of which is stamped 8:19:02 and is 38m31s long, and the next record is stamped 8:20:40, which is obviously inconsistent.

I'm guessing how this works is that there's no real-time clock on the Speedict and the time stamps come from the clock on the Android device. So maybe the key to this is to always force a new record via the app, rather than relying on records started when power is connected?

Does anyone have a consistent way to do get reliable timestamps, or at least understand how this works better than I do?

speedict said:
megacycle said:
it is not with stacking feature, when connect 20s with 2 x neptunes, you only able to live view 10s group at a time.

It shouldn't be too difficult to combine the data arriving from 2 Neptune's on the same smart phone display !? I'd love to see such a feature (just software changes required, I guess)

megacycle said:
Any chance of answering these questions-
Is there an operating manual?

I don't think danny has time to answer here, as per their information they are going to launch 5 products in coming month.
have few emails from danny my understanding of NEPTUNE is based on IC's internal balance circuit therefore the resistive balance current is limited to ~3mA to 5mA, which is small ? i think ...
danny explained to me even the balance current is tiny but i can leave the balance work overnight or even longer time !

>>>> What is the maximum through current?
no current pass through it, imagine it is CELL LOG, up to this moment i don't have Neptune Guard information

>>>> and the maximum cell balancing current?
~3mA to 5mA

>>>> are the cell voltages programmable, eg like 3.60V instead of 3.65V for Lifepo4 ?
yes

DaDo.Bzz said:
Hello Speedict

I would like to buy your new product. Have few questions

1. When you starting to ship?
2. I dont see energy consumption per km also no estimated range. How come? I think this is the most usefull info for mist users. Will you plan to implement also these function? (Is it possible to attach speed sensor to Neptune, to have it accurate also when phone and gps is off. You can implement also autocalibration.) Would be nice to have chart like in Lexus of kilometer consumption per last 10 km.
3. I dont see Neptun Guard on your page. Or am I blind? ;))

Cheers

>>>> When you starting to ship?

i think next month because they also have product (code name JUPITER ? or NEPTUNE 2) similar to NEPTUNE and you can compare 2 models.

>>>> I dont see energy consumption per km also no estimated range. How come? I think this is the most usefull info for mist users. Will you plan to implement also these function? (Is it possible to attach speed sensor to Neptune, to have it accurate also when phone and gps is off. You can implement also autocalibration.)

you should wait for them to release more information on NEPTUNE 2 or JUPITER ? it has built-in speed, current, temperature sensor, on-off switch and larger resistive balance current ~60mA, unlike current speedict product, new NEPTUNE 2 use HALL type current sensing, that's mean you don't need to calibrate, also the resistance of current sensor is 1m Ohm.
the new NEPTUNE 2 built-in discharge and charge circuit (mosfet and gate driver) / control for BMS replacement, you can imagine with speed sensor built-in, it can provide speed kill feature although it is not regulate throttle signal but in case you need road limit like PANIC feature on Mercury / Venus its just turn off the discharge mosfet as under-voltage protection.
with on-off switch, it can prevent inrush / spike when connect to speed controller, according to danny information it can support max current of 40A or even higher because it keep monitor on discharge mosfet temperature to prevent over-temperature meltdown, based on the data sheet the mosfet they use is limited to 100A ...

>>>> I dont see Neptun Guard on your page. Or am I blind? ;))

they don't have solid plan on NEPTUNE Guard, so wait and see the total price on NEPTUNE + GUARD vs NEPTUNE 2

Hello Danny.
I have just finished reading this whole thread.
Also I've been very busy trying out my Mercury since about a week.
I have a lot of problems with the Android app crashing.
I have a Sony Xperia Z2 and I tried the official 5.01 and 5.02 android versions.
The most annoying problem is that when I try to change the dashboard settings, like min and max battery gauge, the app crashes and all settings that I changed since the last start of the app are lost.
When I set battery lvl alarm it starts screaming without any reason and it won't stop.
And often, it just crashes without any significant reason...

Also, when I change the settings of the pas mode I currently use, reading and writing settings sometimes take ages or don't happen at all. Only rebooting the Speedict (power off/on) seems to make it work again.
I got enormous spikes in the amp reading.
I have 36v and about 10a on a geared (non regen) motor.
My max amp is often over 5000A
5000A!
And I have similar spikes in regen.

Is there an update coming for the app?
Are the false readings because of a faulty Speedict ?

Thank you

rosich said:
~3mA to 5mA
>>>> are the cell voltages programmable, eg like 3.60V instead of 3.65V for Lifepo4 ?
yes
Thanks for the info.
It sounds likes it's not suitable for my kW fast charging requirements, where balancing currents could be much higher.

megacycle said:
rosich said:
~3mA to 5mA
yes
Thanks for the info.
It sounds likes it's not suitable for my kW fast charging requirements, where balancing currents could be much higher.

as per danny's information, to compare Speedict NEPTUNE's balance feature, you should to check with your BMS make sure it is "TRUE" balance feature ?

my understanding is although NEPTUNE's balance current (passive resistive balance) is small but it can make sure cells can be balanced compared to market so called Battery Management System without MCU it just discharge cell voltage when cell reached it pre-determined voltage e.g. 4.2v without compare the rest cell in the pack, e.g. 10s pack, when #1 reached 4.2+ v it will immediate shorted with #2 with resistor so that it can discharge its cell voltage while charger is still on CC stage to prevent over-charge, unless charging current is > cell discharge current it will not send disconnect charger circuit ....

see below one of the popular BMS solution (90% of chinese bms) use this solution to prevent cell over-charge.

Attachments

• MM3513.png
    MM3513.png
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,434
I wouldn't let a Speedict product manage my battery charge.
The readings are often totally off, imagine it doesn't cut off at full/empty....
Look what it reads from a 36v system with a 14A controllercontroller and no regen (geared hub):

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-15-21-52-26.png
    Screenshot_2015-05-15-21-52-26.png
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,431
knutselmaaster said:
I wouldn't let a Speedict product manage my battery charge.
The readings are often totally off, imagine it doesn't cut off at full/empty....
Look what it reads from a 36v system with a 14A controllercontroller and no regen (geared hub):
I often get a half-dozen or so spurious high or low readings in a 30 minute trip. This results in meaningless max and min values but it doesn't affect average values and integrated values (Ah and Wh) since the're such a small proportion of the total. When I look at the plots of V and I vs time, it all looks right except for these rare spikes.

This could be a big problem for a BMS, though, as a single spurious measurement could cause it to shut down a system that's actually functioning properly.

The support is as good as the product....
I removed the Speedict from the bike, and used it on another.
Other motor, other controller, different sensors and a different mode (was on pas mode, now on road legal 2)
I have the same troubles:
-Speedict stops controlling (no accelerator output) every now and then
-When I try to change the Speedict settings, it bugs and the connection stalls, and all settings are lost. (have fun setting min and max throttle in the middle of the street, lifting the bike)
-Data are useless (6000w on 36v system etc)
-The Android app is totally unstable (tried 3 different phones, 6 android versions)
-There is no support

And the price has just been raised by 20%!

I am so deceived about this product.
I wanted to integrate it in the bikes I sell but that just is not possible.
Besides the bugs and problems, the settings are so difficult to understand and unexplained that even an experienced technician like me has to use trial and error to get it to react as I want, it will be impossible to give proper customer support as there are no clear instructions that I could give them.

It is a shame as the product has a lot of potential.

Arduino here I come....

Well Knutsemaaster, I totally agree with your conclusion. Speedict mercury is utter crap. I have only experienced a lot of trouble at the end of the day. The product looked promising especially for the high powerbikes in Europe because of the roadlegal2 function. But as I have concluded before: it is a hopeless product.

MAY THIS BE A WARNING FOR PEOPLE WHO CAN'T WAIT TO BUY THE LATEST SPEEDICT PRODUCTS.

Back