SEXY E-BIKES WITH MOTO WHEELS SHOWOFF THREAD

Attachments

• SAM_2480.JPG
    SAM_2480.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 5,727
  • SAM_2457.JPG
    SAM_2457.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 5,727
that looks great. whats the weight of this bike?

Thanks Rix :D Yeah heaps of work hence the build title, but reaping the reward now... thinking of the next one now.
madin88 said:
that looks great. whats the weight of this bike?
Madin total weigh is 40 / 41kg :mrgreen: with 9- 6s 5000mah 30c turnigys [ 72v 15ah ] the big challenge was using aluminum and designing it to be strong especially the swingarm.

GCinDC said:
some highlights of MC tire affair beginning in 2012, about the 2:00 mark here:
[youtube]UZZQhX1mlXU[/youtube]

watched your vid a few times, now, neat vid, including the spills.

I am gonna be starting a new build soon and I was curious as to what is the current lightest 19 x 2.75 tire out there right now, IRC or Vee rubber? Also, since I will be using Holmes MMP rims for both front and rear, is there anyone out there who makes a 2.5" front tire? Thanks Fellas!

Hi all. Would it be too arrogant of me to include my build in this thread? Here goes:

0123151146a.jpg

0123151146b.jpg

It's sexy to me anyway. It is almost time to take it all apart to do the paint and graphics. I've gone back and forth between powder coating and painting; between white and silver. I decided to dip it white. Hopefully the rubberized coating will last longer than paint and if I get sick of it, then I can just peel it off.

@ teslanv: I am also contemplating a Mxus 3000 build. Are you barent on ebay? If so, then I will buy from you if I decide to pull the trigger:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MXUS-3000W-V2-45mm-Direct-Drive-Hub-Motor-Aluminum-Stator-50-MPH-/271789832250?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f47efb83a

This one is only a few dollars more than if I get it from AliExpress so I would prefer to keep the money "local" if you know what I mean.

Finally got my wheels on :mrgreen:

11064761_10152843845512675_3646640970562354488_o.jpg

My bike looks like crap compared to some of the bikes you guys have posted :(

Its alright tho
20s 35ah
50mph
3t mxus
18fet xiechang sinewave controller
19-2.75 sr241 front
17-3.00 sr241 rear

Also check out the new style lights guys

View attachment 1

19" moped in the rear 26 up front :)

Attachments

• 20150311_072237.jpg
    20150311_072237.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 5,384
roadrash said:
My bike looks like crap compared to some of the bikes you guys have posted :(

Its alright tho
20s 35ah
50mph
3t mxus
18fet xiechang sinewave controller
19-2.75 sr241 front
17-3.00 sr241 rear

Also check out the new style lights guys

]

Your bike looks neat, and that tire combo is hard to be in terms of durability and traction. Running lots of battery. Whats the to total weight of your build?

Man Crezzy, that looks like a cold day there :shock: those big mittens are necessary, nice build, imo, running a mc on the rear with a mtb on the front gives you the best of both worlds in terms of minimal weight gain and durability. Yah, a mc wheel on the front does handle better and get more traction, but it comes at the price of weight gain on the front. I keep bouncing back and forth between mc wheels on the front and MTB wheels. I am currently in the MTB wheel mode on the front.

Rix said:
Man Crezzy, that looks like a cold day there :shock: those big mittens are necessary, nice build, imo, running a mc on the rear with a mtb on the front gives you the best of both worlds in terms of minimal weight gain and durability. Yah, a mc wheel on the front does handle better and get more traction, but it comes at the price of weight gain on the front. I keep bouncing back and forth between mc wheels on the front and MTB wheels. I am currently in the MTB wheel mode on the front.

Yeah i think the combo works well. Wasn't too bad this morning about 32f i think, but last week it was around 0f and i had to have heating pads in those mits :shock:

Well I finally got around to it. This winter in New England has not been conducive to outdoor pursuits, yet the old timers say that this is the way it used to be. I guess we are all getting soft with the climate changes...

Anyway, i have been struggling with making this sucker fit. Between the clearance on the chain stays, and aligning the brake disc, i am playing with less than 1/32th inch each side.

The front is an aluminum ProWheel 1.4x 19 rim laced by JRH. It rings true if you merely fling your finger across it. You can hear the sound .Front tire from Threadland is a German Heidieman moped tire 2.25 x 19. When I went in to have the tire changed, the motorcycle shop said that the wheel was perfect. After many miles. Why only 2.25? I have run with 2.50 in the front and wanted to see if the reduced rolling resistance of a narrower tire could be felt in everyday handling. I haven't run it enough yet to really know for sure.

Rear is a steel 1.6 x 18 with a 2.5 IRC moped tire built by and supplied by Roadrash. Great job.You rose to the challenge over the funky 10 gauge spoke holes and graciously gave your time to members questions and helped them with their builds.

I have run 2.50 x 19" moped tires in the past and feel no need to get into the extra width tire scenario that many expound. Why? It doesn't improve your thermal efficiency. It creates extra drag. I have a practical street every day mentality. Having an excessively heavy 20+lb tire on the back so you can lower the pressure to go over ruts better is not part of my world. Its playtime for those who take this as a weekend sport and not as everyday transport.

I am more interested in going to the supermarket, being able to carry stuff, surviving in the rain, to the post office and being able to keep up with traffic so I don't get run over..making my bike a realistic part of my daily reality. And as I approach traffic speeds, with the need to keep up and not get run over, comes the increasing demand for more power and speed...

And the joy/despair of trying to make it all work...

Anyway, that's my rant for today.

Attachments

• Jamis rear tire.jpg
    Jamis rear tire.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 5,267
  • Jamis front tire.jpg
    Jamis front tire.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 5,267
All right Kent! You are up and going. Vermont, for some reason, I thought you lived out west. Yah, our ebikes are handy for running to the store and doing errands. I rode to the store and filled my back pack up with beer earlier this week. Handy to say the least. I have only been to Vermont once, over a decade ago, Stowe looks like a great place to ride. if you get a chance, take some pics on your next ride and post. Would love to see your ride and some Vermont scenery.

Here, some 21 x 1.6 inch second hand motorcycle rims, fitted with Vee Rubber 2.75-21 VRM221 tyres.

Outside diameter is 27", width is 3.1"

Just fits into the '07 BigHit Swing arm without needing to shave any knobbles :wink:

wheel1.jpg

wheel2.jpg

wheel3.jpg

Wheels are fairly heavy at about 10lbs each, ride is very smooth and stable, all high frequency bumps are absorbed by this big rubber.
Steering is now heavier + slower than a typical bicycle, very similar to the 200cc trail motorbikes I used to have.

Hopefully no more punctures for me 8)

Burtie

10464183_10203968294103788_3998059391393516941_n.jpg

Burtie that felt battery bag is the cats meow :D .did you make that.

Burtie and Evolution,

Awesome builds! Moto wheels the way to go. @Burtie, 21s are the only sizes I haven't tried. I plan on in the future.

Since I liked the 21inch moto rim experiment, I have also fitted some 19 inch x 1.4 rims to another bike.

Wheels19-1b.jpg

Wheels19-2b.jpg

Vee rubber 2.50-19 VRM308 tyres, these actually measure 2.75 inches wide by 25 inches diameter.

I guess it is unlikely that these tyres will get a puncture in normal use, but if you did get a flat, because the tyre walls are so stiff, you could continue riding without any problem to get home ok :)

beast775 said:
Burtie that felt battery bag is the cats meow :D .did you make that.

Yes, I have made a couple of them, different sizes. from cut up car boot tidy bags.
Been using them for a year or two now.
The material is very tough, and Velcro (loop side) sticks to it well. Lipo cells are protected inside by folded coroplast (plastic corrugated sign material).
The bags are held to the top tube and steering tube by a couple of webbing staps with plastic clips.
They seem to fit on almost any bike, and are easily swapped around and removed for storage.

comparison2.jpg

Below, 19 moto rear with 26 bicycle front.
Looked a bit weird to start with, but gives more pedal-ground clearance which is useful.

wheels19-26.jpg

Burtie

wingsuit said:
granted im just whoring this image around cause im finally done and like how it turned out.

ebike2.jpg

Love the seat. Reminds me of old 'huck' mountain bike seats that josh bender used to ride

Back