How to build an Electric skateboard tutorial *free version*

This is a shout out to the tutorial posted here. This forum/post was a serious factor in why i decided that i could build a board myself (and fix it when it breaks). Below is a picture of my creation which is just about finished. Really want to say thanks to all of you veteran posters out there who make cool things possible for us noobs.

Thanks!

20141001_165732.jpg

20141121_123653.jpg

the tutorial was very good. the only thing missing was BMS.
how do you manage the batteries??? are you ripping the batteries out to balance/charge? ideally, i just want to plug in the outlet to recharge like a cellphone. i dont want to mess with anything else....

tung256 said:
the tutorial was very good. the only thing missing was BMS.
how do you manage the batteries??? are you ripping the batteries out to balance/charge? ideally, i just want to plug in the outlet to recharge like a cellphone. i dont want to mess with anything else....

Most people use off the shelf rc lipo packs which are batteries with no BMS.
Typical rc lipo pack usage is removing packs and/or leaving packs and charging with a RC Lipo charger.

You could..
1. Wire your setup up with 9pin aircraft connectors.
2. Wire your setup with a Y connector for charging ports.

IMO.. Unless you have 10ah/15ah ideally 20ah on your board. It's very limited.

Just like my cell phone. I personally prefer to swap battery packs when I need a fresh charge.
Sucks having to wait by a charger to get more juice.

My setup is pretty easy. I have my packs taped up in packs of 2 which I wire in series on my board.
The 2 packs are held in a 7" tablet cover from eBay.
I also have the charging indicator slide button from HobbyKing on each pack. Green for charged, Red for full discharge. Use the green packs only and charge the red packs later.

Charge (3) sets in Parallel which is 6 batteries in total and take them with me.

Maybe, I'll post a picture one of these days.

yeah, please post pix. or even better, post a video of what you just typed.
i do photo/videography as a side job. if i was in your area, i would gladly help with that.

I have a E Mad 800 watt skateboard and I am going on my second set of batteries after the first set were depleted. They are 3 12volt hooked in series for a total of 36 volts and about 10 lbs each. I would like to utilize the lighter newr style batteries that can get me farther and mabe alittle faster. I am a bit of a gear head and have a lot of common sense when it comes to wires. Can any body help out with what battery I need and charger? Also can I use the same throttle trigger ? Thanks for any help

Regarding the boat ESC you tried, did you connect up a water cooling system of sorts or can I just ignore the fact that it is water cooled...?

Mike - Good place to start is the lipo cells on hobbyking.com if you want to build your own, or can get a battery with a longer life span for a minor weight differeonce using life cells, such as a battery from bmsbattery.com (never used them, just know they sell the stuff). Check out the battery section of the forums for the full benefits of each, too many to name here. Same place for the use/charging/discharge. Whatever battery you get make sure it will sustain the amps your system will draw - a lot of the cheapie lifepo4 cells are a really low amp draw. If it's just the batteries you are swapping, should be fine on the same electrics. Issues will arise if you try to change the speed controler, and not the controller.

ovar8ed - Boat esc's are proving unreliable, seems most don't have luck even with the same models. Can't help you regarding that ones cooling setup, but I feel you would be better off with a 100+ amp car esc instead. Check out the show and tell thread or this threads first page for ideas as to what people are using with success.

Back