GCinDC's Giant DH Comp

Have you considered using a cast alum wheel like a magic pie for winter? 20" and fit a 16" DOT tire. If I lived up north again I would build a winter bike. Even down here in Austin I am considering build a 'rain bike' since we are now getting a lot more rain than we did the past 5 years. Overengineer it to protect everything from the elements as much as possible.

Today is the first day in about 3 years that i used a car to transport just myself to work. Heavy rain and my wife's car is available since she is away.

dbaker said:
Fun is good :D How fast does it go?
went 9 mph, according to the speedometer, but i think i need to adjust the speed setting! :lol:

seemed to get close to 30 mph on about 25A. was too busy watching for pot holes the size of black holes. the seat was far too hard to make the commute enjoyable, and i didn't dare crank up the juice cause i decided not to charge at work and need to conserve the pack, and more importantly manage the heat.

i did think of you on the last 1/2 mile home, and switched it to boost mode to see what it could do. had a nice little thrust to it. but the temp was getting close to 250F, and i didn't want to push it, except for one more little thrust, and then pop, dead. !HALLS!

so the motor lasted one day. and it was nice that it died in my alley at least for the shortest walk of shame ever.

not the most fun motor to replace halls on. at least i've got most of the wiring in place. time to put in a real hall, unlike the wussy ones that were in there that blew at only 250F. wtf.. lol.

What was max current? It will be interesting to see the color of the windings when you get it apart...

oh this is soooo noobesque.
20150310_064917.jpg

on my commute in yesterday morning i even remembered that i'd not tightened the axle nuts! and i remember hoping they didn't completely loosen and fall off. :oops:

how spoiled i have become with stainless steel dropout adapters that i don't even really need axle nuts with...

ah, well.... i didn't have a chance to see if the wires are cut at the axle, or yanked from inside. i'd love not to have to take the motor apart but doubt i'll be that lucky. too funny. i kept trying to remind myself that the dropout would be my weak link with that setup... you shoulda seen my wife's face when i told her the bike broke, after having had the thing in the living room for the past 4 days. :lol:

anyway, she'll drive today and let me ride her stromer this morning.. . :lol: i gotta hit PT in gtown and there's no other quick way to get there and then to school to pick up kids than by bike. good to test hers out too - i need to dial back the current on it or else the batts will get killed. max current fresh off the charge it can handle is 14A, and i have the boost set to deliver 24A, so i have to think if it's not pumping 24A, it's because the batts don't have the juice to deliver it. also, i think 20A max regen current is probably a bit high too. stops the bike nicely but prolly hard on the pack... dang thing tops out at 25mph tho. so weird. current drops to zilch and the motor seems to vibrate with a low groan. since i have max speed set to much higher, i don't understand what's holding it back.

anyway, as for max current with my maxE, i'm puzzled, i thought this display only shows trip info. i know i didn't pull 13kW yesterday... routinely did w/ h40 tho...:
20150310_071556.jpg

good to

need another torque arm :shock: Looks like there is lots of metal to bolt to :idea:

You should try a Bafang mid drive unit...

:p A little birdie told me Bafang will have a middie with torque sensor in the future. The PAS version is fine though.

Too bad about your dropout dilemma. Hope the wheel side wiring is fine.

Make the bike into a long tail akin to Dogman's new build. Throw a kid (or two) in the back and gopro their :p & :lol: . When they are of age, switch places.

so i could take apart the stromer motor/wheel, fix it and then deal w/ the dropouts, or i could play with something new that just arrived....

gotta say i was a bit alarmed at the shape of the box after shipment:
20150312_140207.jpg

but how awesome that the motor (right) was stabilized between plywood!
20150312_174556.jpg

the flange width is nearly identical so why not reuse my old MC wheel and spokes. :mrgreen:
20150312_174619.jpg

they look a bit nasty...
20150313_112815.jpg

but after snapping 4 spokes that despite resting overnight w/ WD40, tapping and torch, and some cleanup:
20150313_183214.jpg

but since we know that "corrosion.never.sleeps" - thanks, len- we can't just leave it like this:
20150314_082516.jpg

so after not getting far with steel wool, i went dental on it, and ground out the cavities:
20150314_095422.jpg

i could repaint, but i'm going to hope this will do the job:
20150314_100429.jpg

along with coating the washers with T9 as well:
20150314_101051.jpg

of course i should have sent the triangle to heliarc so i wouldn't have to dish it, but i need special tools to take it apart and haven't been able to get to it. as it is, i'll have to spread the frame about 5mm or more for the axle to fit:
20150313_170625.jpg

but i wouldn't be surprised if this motor ends up in several wheels over its life.

but that reminds me. should i drill it out? it will definitely cook getting to the top of my hill...

Greg, I think you will love that motor. Is that a 4t? Ever thought about oilcooling considering that your motors look like shit after winter riding? :mrgreen: I testdrove one this weekend and it was crazy fun at 20s 160DC Amps/400 phase.
Let us know how you like it compared to the old Crys.

purposely didn't finish the bike last sunday, so forced to pedal in all week. great exercise, and esp good for my shoulder.

now i'm trying to finish it tho and am hearing a loud pitched hum on autodetect, and get this error:
20150322_082453.jpg

tested all halls w/ ebike tester, in case colors were diff w/ mxus 3000. blue/green/yell are halls. red/black for power. white for temp..... right!!?

same pin out wiring as diagram and old motor. actually rewired it twice. same error.

thx, allex.

it's so weird, i stuck pins in the controller-side hall connector and see 4.5V between GND and red/blue/yel/grn.

but when i screw on motor-side hall connector, and check voltage on exposed solder points, i see 0V.

it's like the connector contacts aren't working.

before sticking pins in to check voltage, i was trying to remove controller-side hall connector housing to see if when i spun the axle, it yanked the wire and disconnected the controller-side connector solder joints...

feel silly replacing w/ old school hall connector..

hate to clip off the connector, esp so close to controller... hmm.

took some pics of controller btw. is this normal, or evidence of water?
20150321_152615.jpg

20150321_152643.jpg

20150321_152552.jpg

20150321_152527.jpg

Maybe good to have a few spare ones? http://www.ebay.com/itm/171430256982?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Cant really see if there is some corrosion going on there...

kinda lost track of my troubleshooting efforts. have only glanced at this bike in the garage as i grabbed the road bike and pedaled off to work.

but when i hopped one too many curbs and blew the wheel on my road bike....
20150430_071323.jpg

...and had no other spares, i thought it would be handy to have this up and running! (thanks to dbaker for loaning a roadie wheel tho so i could ride last week until a new wheel could be ordered!)

anyway, rather silly of me to keep swapping the halls connectors. too much fine soldering there, and even trying out jst-xh connectors in desperation. before doing so, i should have just tried running autodetect with my wife's miniE. then i'd have known the motor/connectors were fine, even for the stromer motor, and that the problem was in the controller. the motor wiring tested out fine w/ the ebike tester, so why i thought it was connectors... who knows.

i see scrolling above i was looking at the controller, but time to take it apart again and scrutinize the hall wiring. otherwise, it's off to russia with it. unless anyone has any other troubleshooting suggesting. i rather fix it of course than have to ship it!

what else? life is good. spring is a relief. we totally splurged and took the kids to mexico for spring break. we got them all snorkel gear and i trained them one weekend beforehand at the local pool, so we went practically ever day while on vacation. the water was so clear and i got some pretty good gopro shots if i do say so myself... :mrgreen:
[youtube]OFo_OZkqX8E[/youtube]

GCinDC said:
purposely didn't finish the bike last sunday, so forced to pedal in all week. great exercise, and esp good for my shoulder.

now i'm trying to finish it tho and am hearing a loud pitched hum on autodetect, and get this error:
20150322_082453.jpg

tested all halls w/ ebike tester, in case colors were diff w/ mxus 3000. blue/green/yell are halls. red/black for power. white for temp..... right!!?

same pin out wiring as diagram and old motor. actually rewired it twice. same error.

I can't find it now, but i remember to read somewhere in the forum from someone that was getting the "halls error 2" message when running the autodetect process and have managed to bypass that error by locking the wheel in the first seconds of the process.

Sweet video. Looks like a great family trip. Isn't it amazing how far technology has come that for a few hundred bucks you can make home videos with footage that looks like it's plucked straight from national geographic, with a camera barely any bigger than a matchbox. My dad was always chasing me around as a kid with a giant camcorder on his shoulder the size of a small microwave :lol:

thanks, guys!

Hyena said:
Isn't it amazing how far technology has come...
Frack me, look what's out now! Prolly not legal to follow me in traffic, but damn! Amazing that it's waterproof, but I wonder how it'll deal w/ trees!
[youtube]4vGcH0Bk3hg[/youtube]

I saw these just yesterday. $1000 retail or $500 if you pre-order. I'm seriously tempted but apparently they're not 100% at this point in time with their prototype. They claim they'll have it sorted by the time they're mass produced, which shouldn't be a drama, but it's still a bit of a gamble considering there's a bunch of other similar products out there now. Again though, for $500 including camera it's a top deal.

I wonder how long before someone chucks one in the air only to find it wasn't properly powered on and it promptly smashes straight into the ground :lol:

I reckon give it 12 months and someone will be producing something that can avoid trees and other obstacles. Atleast solid trees - the odd stray fine twiggy protrusion or thin cable would probably still bring one unstuck - short of some advanced image recognition/processessing/AI.
There's already DIY options for sonar and proximity sensors so it won't be long.

I'd be more interested in one that could precisely track a GPS route. Strap it to your back and go ride your trail or route of choice, GPS log it then ride it again and the copter will appear to follow you. Couple it with the existing wifi tracking systems to alter speed as you do, use an precision altimeter/barometer/sonoar/whatever to maintain an exact height so it won't hit power lines or high overhead trees and you're set.

Hyena said:
I saw these just yesterday. $1000 retail or $500 if you pre-order. I'm seriously tempted but apparently they're not 100% at this point in time with their prototype. They claim they'll have it sorted by the time they're mass produced, which shouldn't be a drama, but it's still a bit of a gamble considering there's a bunch of other similar products out there now. Again though, for $500 including camera it's a top deal.

I wonder how long before someone chucks one in the air only to find it wasn't properly powered on and it promptly smashes straight into the ground :lol:

I reckon give it 12 months and someone will be producing something that can avoid trees and other obstacles. Atleast solid trees - the odd stray fine twiggy protrusion or thin cable would probably still bring one unstuck - short of some advanced image recognition/processessing/AI.
There's already DIY options for sonar and proximity sensors so it won't be long.

I'd be more interested in one that could precisely track a GPS route. Strap it to your back and go ride your trail or route of choice, GPS log it then ride it again and the copter will appear to follow you. Couple it with the existing wifi tracking systems to alter speed as you do, use an precision altimeter/barometer/sonoar/whatever to maintain an exact height so it won't hit power lines or high overhead trees and you're set.

I bet you could use compact, relatively low-power motion sensors or IR sensors around to avoid trees and even very thin features.

http://3drobotics.com/

The solo looks pretty good. The Iris+ has worked pretty well for me with GPS routed autopilot missions and follow me mode etc, but it is currently having some sort of issue with holding altitude. Getting to the bottom of it is a bit frustrating as the data logs are so incredibly comprehensive it is almost too much to learn and sort through in a reasonable period of time, haha.

Having played with this type of technology for a while and one of the more pressure testing flight controllers (the Pixhawk) you couldn't pay me to be an early adopter of any of the new machines now. They are just too easy to crash and lose in a tree when something goes just a little bit wrong with a sensor or operator error. It isn't so much losing the $500-$2k machine it is the risk of what it could hit and damage as far as people and other property. Causing a traffic accident when it falls into a busy roadway, etc.

Yo Jay, they got Baboons out in the Outback? Maybe they can help with your videos..... :D

Back