Will this ESC + Motor Combo work?

OvaR8ed

10 µW
I'm busy doing a bit of research for a single motor belt driven longboard with braking (Gear Ratio around 1:3). I'm from South Africa and parts round here are hard to find and expensive so I want to try and get it right the first time round.

I'm thinking about running the following Motor + ESC pair on 6s Li-Po Batteries and I'm interested in you opinions...?

Motor: E-Flite Power 160 Brushlesss Outrunner (63mm Diameter, 245KV)
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLM4160A

ESC: Hobbywing QUICRUN-WP-8BL150 (150A Water-proof and dust-proof)
http://www.hobbywing.com/product_show.asp?id=296

My only worry is that the 160 motor is rated for 9s - 10s LiPo and the ESC is 2s - 6s. Will this work? I can also consider the E-Flite Power 90 (6s-8s) and Power 110(8s-9s) designed for lower voltage, but there isn't a big difference in price between these and the Power 160 so I want to go as large as possible to get more value for money.

Regarding the batteries, what sort of mAh and Discharge Rating should I be looking at if I want around 5-10 miles range on reasonable flat terrain? (I weigh about 75kg / 165lbs)

Your combination looks fine; the motor voltage won't be an issue.

Ideally, your batteries should be able to handle 100 amps continuous; you can get your battery's maximum continuous discharge current by multiplying your discharge rating in C with your capacity in Ah. ( ie 5Ah battery * 20C discharge = 100 amps )
Capacity-wise, each amp-hour at 6S is generally considered to get you roughly a mile, so a 5Ah 6s battery will get you five and a 10Ah one will get you 10. Obviously varies based on your build, but it's a decent way to estimate.

How will a single E-Flite Power 90 perform ok with a 165lb person on flat terrain? (Everything else the same)

The 110 and 160 are both 63mm diameter and roughly the same price, but the 90 is 56mm in diameter and significantly cheaper... Worth it or will it be too weak?

OvaR8ed said:
How will a single E-Flite Power 90 perform ok with a 165lb person on flat terrain? (Everything else the same)

The 110 and 160 are both 63mm diameter and roughly the same price, but the 90 is 56mm in diameter and significantly cheaper... Worth it or will it be too weak?

56mm should be fine. The typical motors everyone uses are 50mm and 63mm.

Back