New Bafang Crank-Drives

jpo said:
Since this is a DIY web site I thought I would suggest a cheap alternative. I've taken cheap steal chain rings from sick bike and drilled 5 holes in them to mount directly to the motor. Some care must be taken when drilling the 5 holes but it does work. There is a down side and potential issue. The center hole on the sick bike chain rings is larger than the center hole on the stock bafang ring so all of the load goes to the 5 screws attaching the chain ring to the motor. This could eventually snap the screws. I have not had a problem in 200 miles but beware I have detuned my bafang to a max of 800 watts and typically ride between 400 and 600 watts. The 750 at full strength could be an issue as it can pull well over 1000 watts
I use mine with a 9 speed cassette and the chain line is ok not great but it shifts fine and chain does not fall off. I am using a front derailleur as a gauge to keep the chain from falling off.
Good luck

Don't the 5 holes already on their chainrings match up?

Can you post a pic of yours?

I am hoping that I can run a bafang 44t on sick bikes HD freewheel screwed onto my hub motor... don't know if they will match for now... if they don't then the 44t will go at the front and I'll have to order a chainring from them for the back....

Hope the torque isn't too much for the screws as you mentioned.

Does their 36t offset inwards clear the "bafang sticking out bit" on the bottom right of the motor?

The center hole on the sick bike chain ring is about 4mm larger in diameter than the stock bafang ring so the bafang will not mount on the HD freewheel without significant modification.
The 5 bolt hole pattern does not line up either. I wish it did.
There is no off set on the sick bike chain ring. It is flat.

Do you need a HD freewheel? I have an unused one that I bought as back up and never used. The thing is truly heavy duty, I have close to 15,000 miles of daily commuting on mine rain or shine, although it hasn't really rained in almost 3 years.

they look offset to me

30t.jpg

I've already ordered the hd freewheel... ah well I'll have to buy a chainring from them too as I'm sure theirs match it.

Ade said:
leelorr said:
California E-bikes sells two sizes of chain ring adapters for the BBS0x. You can see them both at :
http://california-ebike.com/product-category/replacement-parts/

Yes, I had one and used it for a 36T chainring but, using them as intended will probably put your chainline out some. One of the guys here suggests to turn them around and use a spacer which will impact the chainline less. They still won't put the chainline back as much as the stock chainring though as it's dished, and the bling ring has an even more pronounced offset.

The 130BCD adapter looks like you may be able to flip it backwards, thus improving the chainline. Would somebody confirm this?

Ade said:
Aushiker said:
Ade said:
and a custom 42t chainring which will bring the chainline back in to where it should be, all of which should help with chain slips, chain drops and broken links.

I also have a chainline issue so I am interested in your custom option. Do you have a link by any chance?

Thanks
Andrew

http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=46&product_id=197

Thanks. Does this bring the chain line closer to the frame or further out or no change? I am looking to see if I can bring the chainline a mm or two closer to the frame.

Andrew

Aushiker said:
Thanks. Does this bring the chain line closer to the frame or further out or no change? I am looking to see if I can bring the chainline a mm or two closer to the frame.

Andrew

It will take it closer to the frame - not sure of the exact difference between it and the stock chainring but you could always ask the guys that make it at http://lekkie.bike

Ade said:
Aushiker said:

Andrew

It will take it closer to the frame - not sure of the exact difference between it and the stock chainring but you could always ask the guys that make it at http://lekkie.bike

Thanks.

Andrew

I make one of the adapters listed above and sell them via my site and ebay. I am curious as to why the chainline is an issue for you guys - is it because of dropped chains or something else?

I am liking offroading with my bafangs, and am working on a new product that will solve dropped chains but its about two weeks away.

Samd said:
I make one of the adapters listed above and sell them via my site and ebay. I am curious as to why the chainline is an issue for you guys - is it because of dropped chains or something else?

I am liking offroading with my bafangs, and am working on a new product that will solve dropped chains but its about two weeks away.

do use the adapter?

There is no real thing to say but that what every biker knows. Straight chain line makes stuff last longer and more power can be put through it.

Anyhow with my mates help we moved the set of 3 granny inwards and put spacers between them and the spokes and added sprockets from another cassette to complete my previously 10 speed became a 7 speed. I gained almost 2 cm for my granny.

I now have 4 gears 11t perfect and granny 36t works perfect and a couple inbetween.

I want to include this tracking device to the bike, any ideas? thanks

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/itraq-the-cellular-tracking-device

kocoman said:
I want to include this tracking device to the bike, any ideas? thanks

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/itraq-the-cellular-tracking-device
Just add real GPS tracking device, which gives you 3m radius location, not residential block size precision. Energy supply on an E bike is not an issue. :wink:

Just add real GPS tracking device, which gives you 3m radius location, not residential block size precision. Energy supply on an E bike is not an issue. :wink

+1
First thing I thought when I saw "1 block radius" spec was that if someone steals my bike and takes it home, a 1 block radius is not going to help me much.

I am so sick of the useless information supplied by the stock Bafang displays. I want meaningful ebike information. Whrs/km, Whrs, Ahrs. Real electrical consumption and knowing exactly how much battery l have left.

Decided it was time to finally get serious with a Cycle Analyst for the Bafang BBS drive and ditch the useless stock display. We unfortunately not quite but as good as. :)

Result? Nice uncluttered Handlebars, and a fully functioning CA that interacts with the drive seamlessly.

Attachments

• 20150309_160530jw.jpg
    20150309_160530jw.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 3,798
  • 20150309_173746.jpg
    20150309_173746.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 3,798
  • 20150308_163357.jpg
    20150308_163357.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 3,798
  • 20150309_125512.jpg
    20150309_125512.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 3,798
  • 20150309_162440.jpg
    20150309_162440.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 3,798
  • 20150309_162743.jpg
    20150309_162743.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 3,796
  • 20150308_182520.jpg
    20150308_182520.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 3,793
Mr Kepler well done! Obviously being such a wunderful bloke and remarkably attractive man you have a wiring diagram somewhere that may allow a mere mortal to do this? :)

Or are you considering making up the harness for fitting a CA to the BBS02 and flogging them off??

Consider me thoroughly teased. :)

Its the kind of info that i'd really like to have on hand for when the OH will let me spend money on bike stuff.....which i am sure will happen this side of the next millennium. :(

Will be interesting to hear about how the CA programming interacts with the programming of the built in controller?? Will patiently await with interest.

Kepler said:
Wiring diagram to follow of course :) Thought I would throw up the teaser for starters. :mrgreen:

Kemper, Have you considered selling a CA preprogramed along with the a modified harness all ready to plug in? There's a lot of us that just want to ride and not fiddle anymore.

Bob

When My BBS02's Integrated controller dies, I will to switch it out for a 9FET Xie Chang ("Infineon") controller. Then hooking up a CA is a piece of cake.

Today, I just opened about 70% of the BBS trying to troubleshoot & fix a mild click sound I'm getting under power. Inpected the nylon gears and they are fine. I'm guessing it's something with the clutch (I'm batting 3 of 4 for breaking a clutch in the EV world :cry: ) I remember reading in Keplers thread he needed to tighten something down after about 1000km and figured I'm in the same boat now. Anyone opened up the clutch side of the BBS :?:

Edit: it's not in his thread. It's probably somewhere in this 160+ paged monstrosity :shock: .
this page shows the motor pretty much fully disassembled.

2hrs of freaking scrolling & next page clicks and found it. I deserve an extra morning hash brown for sure. :eek:

Running a different controller looks super easy from the looks of things. Standard 3 phase wires and (this is a guess) 3 halls +1 temp wire.

teslanv said:
When My BBS02's Integrated controller dies, I will to switch it out for a 9FET Xie Chang ("Infineon") controller. Then hooking up a CA is a piece of cake.
Has anyone got a build thread of this yet?

Kepler said:
I am so sick of the useless information supplied by the stock Bafang displays. I want meaningful ebike information. Whrs/km, Whrs, Ahrs. Real electrical consumption and knowing exactly how much battery l have left.

Decided it was time to finally get serious with a Cycle Analyst for the Bafang BBS drive and ditch the useless stock display. We unfortunately not quite but as good as. :)

Result? Nice uncluttered Handlebars, and a fully functioning CA that interacts with the drive seamlessly.
Nice work as usual, Kepler. I'm interested in the details as well. I'm concerned that this great topic could get sidetracked by all the crosstalk on this thread - maybe it's a good idea to start a new one or add this to your bike build thread?

Thanks Cyborg. True, info does tend to disappear into the crosstalk of this thread. I will move the discussion to my Bafang BBS bike build thread for anyone that is interested.

Been doing quite a bit of testing with this set up and have some more info to add.

Back