Penny board 3d printed build

strygw

1 µW
Just wanted to share my penny board build.

Its all 3D printed in PLA, except for the casing and motor pulley (since it needs to take more load). So far it has survived slightly above 120km, and is able to reach 20km/h-ish. The motor does get warm, and there is a piece of cardboard separating the face from the plastic. The mounts are crudely bound by cable ties, but I will be using countersunk screws once they arrive.

While I do have a workshop that I can use, I wanted to make one that would require minimal modifications to the board (ie no welding). Also, the 3D printing process allowed me to iterate very quickly.

jIQ7RM0.jpg

RPCFo84.jpg

UmXduol.jpg

8hwXUyx.jpg

hfySfw6.jpg

The main pulley is bolted to the wheel to allow the torque to be transmitted without slipping. I originally wanted it to be a simple interference fit, but the motor was too powerful, and kept heating up and melting the plastic.

Also, anyone able to guide me on implementing regenerative braking?

Nice job on the 3d printing. Regenerative braking can be only done on a speed controller that has the feature, like Vedder's ESC, but is not plug and play yet. Some RC ESC may have it depending on the brand, but the efficiency may be very low.

That is a great job! Any chance of sharing the 3d files?
How does it handle the torque from the motor?

Yeah, right now im using a cheap ESC that doesn't have a very pleasant acceleration curve. Will probably look into Vedder's ESC when there is a preorder available.

I modelled it in solidworks, have attached the files - haha please don't judge the steps that I took, it's quite a crude job. And share any modifications that you make!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bpffjbznr2q57o2/AADix1VFz_yDvBnnfQj5Mckba?dl=0

thanks for sharing mate much appreciated. i dont judge as i dont have your skills ;)

the 150A car ESC from Hobbyking is apparently a good one, they werent in stock in Aus so i ordered a different (wrong one :() these allow you to program timings and so on. you have made a great start though mate!

Back