Motorbike Motor

As I mentioned in my original posting, I wanted an Emrax motor but the guy never answered any of my questions,
and after not answering my questions, I went ahead and ordered a motor anyways which was $6K for the IP64 version.
After weeks of no acknowledgement of my order I decided to heck with that, I will build my own motor. I have been
super busy at work the last several months but am back working on the motor.

The question I want to put out there is this. My project has weight issues. The motor is going to be about 25 lbs.
The Rinehart PM100DX controller weighs about 18 lbs. I am about 15 lbs over weight which kills the project.
What I am thinking about is canning the brushless system and design it using brushes. The races I want to win
lasts 6 minutes and I can design it so that I can easily swap brushes and fix up the commutator after each race if needed.
I am talking with a company that says they do brush systems for race motors all the time. The motor will be
sucking 60 kW at times during the 6 minute race. What do you think?

From other discussions it seems Agni are regarded as one of the best manufacturers of high power density brushed motors. I'm not sure you'd reliably get 60kW input on one of their models, but the general construction and power density they achieve might be informative.

Thanks guys. I found a Kelly controller that should work that weighs 7.5 lbs. That's a lighter setup. The commutator and brush setup
will probably add a couple lbs. I didn't add the resolver which is 3 lbs. So now I am 10 lbs. lighter.

Be warned that the way Kelly rates their controllers is by phase current, not battery current. Some people have been disappointed by the power output.

I am back to looking for a lightweight brushless controller.

Since I am building the motor maybe I could wire it for 2 controllers?

I would still need 30kW peaks from each controller.

very cool thread. im not sure how much help i will be but i would like to see how this pans out. 30kw each from a controller is quite a bit still. only one i know that could do it would be sevcon but from what ive read, good luck programming it...especially to your own custom motor! that being said its probably cheaper to make the motor a 6 phase and split the power between 2 controllers. maybe you can even run 9-12 phases so you can split the power between 3-4 controllers.

motomoto said:
I am back to looking for a lightweight brushless controller.

Since I am building the motor maybe I could wire it for 2 controllers?

I would still need 30kW peaks from each controller.

Dear Sir
Any update from this project
I am starting DIY the motor myself
I start from YASA, researching them, and end up with this thread.
YASA seems to do a lot of improvement in Cooling, lightening while getting big power and torque from the motor by using SMC in the core, rectangular copper wire for winding, fiber reinforced structure for the stator casing.
But I found those designs are only suitable for expensive hyper cars and other mobility application.
For project like yours, we even can accept a little heavier in weight while lower the power/torque a little bit (more losses )

About this axial flux PMSM, the key points are
Cooling
Stator case assembly
Fixing poles in stator
Fixing PM in the rotor
Rotor axial deformation (which is tough because it related to lot of parameters like air-gap ,,,,,)

I have been reviving this project because building a superfast dirt bike is still my passion. I just wanted
to show these cool photos I found today on an Emrax motor insides. It seems to me that they went
off of the same article I did from the YASA guys. Here is the link.

http://build-its-inprogress.blogspot.com/2017/05/emrax-motor-teardown.html

Here is the YASA article again. Emrax even divided up the magnets like it shows in
the article to thwart eddy currents in the magnets.

http://www.mojaladja.com/upload/elmotor/Analysis%20of%20the%20Yokeless%20and%20Segmented%20Armature%20machine.pdf

Back