The Beast Mid Drive. In Beta Testing.

jdevo2004

100 W
This kit is now in beta testing. No further information will be available until the beta is finished.

I would like to introduce to you a project that I have been working on since last November. It is a high power mid drive that I affectionately call The Beast. I wanted to create an uncompromising, durable, heavy duty off road mountain climbing mid drive capable of tackling steep inclines without pedaling for very long periods of time. I wanted it to be very strong, relatively light, simple, reliable, and look good. Many of you will recognize the shape from previous mid drives however this mid drive does a few things differently allowing for a large powerful motor in a narrow format. This mid drive is intended to be a no pedaling design. The pedals are there for show as you pass the cops and to get you home if you run out of juice.

View attachment 12
DSC00979.jpg

DSC00987.jpg
DSC00989.jpg
DSC00981.jpg

Specifications:
-Up to 3000 watts.
-Up to 40 amps.
-50-100 volts
-Top Speed: 65 kph @ 3000 watts (flat hard surface with 91 Kg (200 lbs) rider)

Features include:
-6061 aircraft aluminum construction.
-High heat dissipation design by integrating the motor into the aluminum structure.
-7075 hardened aircraft aluminum jackshaft
-Durable and light black Delrin plastic pant and finger guards.
-High power motor, larger and more powerful than GNG for added heat dissipation.
-Professionally powder coated
-Short, medium and long lower brackets to accommodate a wide range of down tube shapes.
-Integrated motor heat sensor.
-25mm wide primary belt drive
-219 chain secondary drive
-Simple belt and 219 chain tensioner system.
-Directly compatible with inexpensive Azusa Type B 12t-18t 219 sprockets.

As you can see from the specifications and features, this is a serious high power machine. I have had my prototype up and running since late January and I can tell you that this thing really is a beast and is an excellent climber. I have been blown away by how capable and strong this thing has turned out to be. Here are a couple pictures with it installed on my bike. Note that I am using the 73mm long bottom brace because of the funny shape of my down tube.

DSC00986.jpg
View attachment 1

Shown in the pictures from left to right is the 73mm long bottom brace, 68mm medium bottom brace, and 68mm short bottom brace. Available brace sizes are 68mm short, 68mm medium, 73mm short, 73mm medium, 73mm long.
DSC01001.jpg
View attachment 8
DSC00993.jpg

[youtube]sY9V-__SrMg[/youtube]

Attachments

• DSC01002.jpg
    DSC01002.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 8,688
  • DSC00977.jpg
    DSC00977.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 8,688
  • DSC01005.jpg
    DSC01005.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 8,688
Looks like an appropriate name. :)

Too bad Phoenix has almost no terrain worthy of it...though it would also be powerful enough to get really heavy cargo bikes and trailers full of stuff moving really quickly in stop and go traffic.

Just curious--is the reason for a 10-speed cassette to make sure it will work with one, or is the end product only intended to work with those? Or is it just so that it can be tested with the 42 tooth for rreally low gears?

Does Australia count as Oceania? Some people say it does and some say it doesn't...

I could cover off on those criteria- I was thinking about buying a GNG for my next dual susp build as we have some good off road mountain biking here. I could also test it on my daily 25km commute to work (Norco Shore 2 with 9C hub, lots of home made 18650 battery packs)!

I also like the fact that it can be used without pedalling for long periods of time- it's not that I'm lazy, I just appreciate the epower...

What are you looking for- statement of claim or similar posted up on the forum or privately? Not that I care about going public- I like to spread the ebike word as much as possible anyway. I'd also be a good test bench for the heat handling side of things as it can get a little warm here in Western Australia.

Spinningmagnets: Too bad! If there is anyone here on ES forums that I would like to have test my kit it is you!

Amberwolf: The kit can use any speed cassette but I have found that the weakest part of the system of getting power to the ground in extreme terrain is the bicycle chain and the cassette. The bicycle chain can start skipping over the cog in extreme circumstances forcing the rider to reduce throttle and move slower. By using the largest first gear cog available on the market it allows the bicycle chain to have more grip and prevents damage from skipping. I am pretty sure that most duel suspension mountain bikes are sold with 10 speeds these days though I may be mistaken.

I would actually really like it if one of the mods were to test my kit. Hopefully one of the mods has the right qualifications!

Spicerack said:
Does Australia count as Oceania? Some people say it does and some say it doesn't...

I could cover off on those criteria- I was thinking about buying a GNG for my next dual susp build as we have some good off road mountain biking here. I could also test it on my daily 25km commute to work (Norco Shore 2 with 9C hub, lots of home made 18650 battery packs)!

I also like the fact that it can be used without pedalling for long periods of time- it's not that I'm lazy, I just appreciate the epower...

What are you looking for- statement of claim or similar posted up on the forum or privately? Not that I care about going public- I like to spread the ebike word as much as possible anyway. I'd also be a good test bench for the heat handling side of things as it can get a little warm here in Western Australia.

You sound like you have the right stuff! Oceania in my books is New Zealand and Australia. Anyone who wants to enter the competition should PM me here at Endless-Sphere with their details. The more I know about you and your qualifications, the more I would be willing to consider you.
Good Luck!

Ok, not to rain on the parade but, this system is hugely close to lightning rods kit. You are even using his pulley. (Yes I see a few differences, but essentially, it is nearly the same).

Don't get me wrong, the system looks well thought out. I just wanted to point out what others may not be comfortable pointing out.

I'm wondering how you obtained his pulleys. Did he sell you a bunch?

Got to say I was thinking the same thing as Matt.

Also seems like a big commitment list for the tester and then for the tester to end up with nothing 6 months down the track. Personally the privilege of using the drive for 6 months is no real compensation for all the work involved in providing R & D feedback on someone else's product especially when the tester is providing the platform to carry out the testing.

1st,
Nice job on the fabrication & finish of you product. it looks good from here.
I can only assume lightnig rods knew he was selling components to a potential competitor (is that the same motor as his "big block" offering?)

My only real question is: Have you stabilized the crank freewheel with an additional bearing as gng attempts to?

I think competition is healty for this tiny market of e-bike stuff.
Now if you can reduce the weight to say 5lbs. for the drive unit & inovate a battery housing that will provide adequate protection for the dangerous cargo, you'll be home free.

Best of luck & ignore the haters when they show up. :mrgreen:

Call me old fashioned, but, I have a really hard time when people directly copy other's designs. It has happened to me multiple times in the E-bike arena and when I was manufacturing RC helicopters.

Please understand, I am not a hater. I am pointing out something that really should be addressed. Competition---YES, copying---NO.

Just saying.......

Also, I am sure Mike will not chime in on this. So, I will be his advocate.

I am sure I will get flamed for this, but, I take this kind of thing personally because it has happened to me multiple times. Mike is a good guy and this is a boutique market. We all know each other here. Lets call a spade a spade.

Matt

Thud said:
1st,

Good comment.
the truth is: the original product is Gng by jon chan, the OTHERS are just copies, better or not, improved or not, just copies. So we all have to thank him. ( ALL)
other philosophical, intelligent, complicated reasoning is just silly

stocaz said:
Thud said:
1st,

Good comment.
the truth is: the original product is Gng by jon chan, the OTHERS are just copies, better or not, improved or not, just copies. So we all have to thank him. ( ALL)
other philosophical, intelligent, complicated reasoning is just silly

No, the truth is, the only thing left from GNG is the motor housing. The system that Mike is offering is so radically departed from what GNG designed that it is a completely different species at this point. This drive is a near identical copy of Lightningrods drive.

Try having something you did a huge amount of work on copied by someone and THEN comment on it......

Again, I know I will get flamed for this (though more people should be calling this kind of thing out). Again, lets just call it what it is.

Matt

I will be the 1st line to bash this if these guys are standing on LRs hard work without at least giving a heads up.

Brand loyalty will produce enough.....lets call it "playful trash talk" :D those will be the "haters" I refer to.

But I do see a sbstantial differance in this vs LR. That is: using the side plates to bolt to the motor heat sinking it....(edit: does LR do this too? I haven't paid that close attention latley :oops:)

I wonder how GNG feels about LR selling a complete kit? Improved, adjustabe plates that fit more bikes is one thing, but a whole kit (albeit a much better kit)?

Come to think of it, gng didnt invent the bottom bracket mount either.......I am sure Miles could research its origins to a member on here somwhere 3+ years ago. I hope they compensated that guy with a % of eack one sold, Right?

Personaly, i think the only true review of this offering as a "system" would be shipping one to Enyman ( you all know who i mean) & see if he can make it work. :wink:

Thud, frankly speaking..you're right, totally.

best thing ever, let's give one kit to the boy and see if it works or not

stocaz said:
Thud, frankly speaking..you're right, totally.

best thing ever, let's give one kit to the boy and see if it works or not

Too funny, I agree! :wink:

Back to what Thud said, no mention was made of Mike's work in this. I have had a few things copied (even on this forum), and sometimes my name is mentioned. Fine. That helps a bit. At least it is known where a given idea originated from at that point.

Anyway, yes, there are some very minor differences (but they are very minor, indeed).

As long as we all know the origin of this drive, we can move on. I do not want to trash this drive. I just wanted to point out what others are afraid to because of the flaming that tends to happen any time anything negative is mentioned.

Game on gents! :wink: :mrgreen:

Matt

:lol:

There is room for many variations of the GNG design. LR did a great job in bringing in a reliable belt side and tension adjustments. Lots of other stuff to work out /simplify are left to do and would be worth exploring. We had some post back on another thread that showed a way to adjust tensions on both sides with a single mount adjustment. Hoping that some one will bring something like that in at some point. This kit with idlers is much the same as the gng.

Maybe I missed something but I still didn't understand why non-hub "experts" are presenting 1-3kW mid drive kit as
off road mountain climbing mid drive capable of tackling steep inclines without pedaling for very long periods of time
For me, best mountain climbing ability can have only properly geared low wattage kit. Maybe 350W version kit with 64mm and 104mm BCD chainrings can adequately handle any mountain hill. Firstly you can't ride technical climbing with high speed, secondly how much consume 3kW beast when steep climbing?
Honestly, power is not mandatory for steep climbing but for top speed.

What is your def of hill climbing?
hillclimb_bikest1.jpg

Off topic:
Emaayan, i must apolgise for dropping you name in this thread. If I have offended you, I am sorry. I admit it was an unprovoked jab at your online persona here on ES, if you were my customer, i would have refunded all of your money & shipping costs too....just to get you off my customer list....that is just how i see it.

That said & in your defense:
What we need is a bolt on full performance kit that doesn't require:
1) custom tools(or if required they come supplied w/the kit ie 219 chain breaker)
2) an advanced knowledg of the controllers & setting them up. (should be plug & play)
3) a degree in current battery maintanance.

We need batteries for the masses to be nearly self maintaining...a reliable bms to stop over discharge & a plug & play charging / balancing out fit.

Without a working, hands on experiance of ellectronics or mechanics (bicycle set up & even making connection to the battery)
guys like emaayan are set up for failure. Its not his fault he wanted to join the party....its our failure as manufacturers to solve all the issues in play & make him succesfull.

Part time bully thud-rant off.

recumpence said:
Ok, not to rain on the parade but, this system is hugely close to lightning rods kit. You are even using his pulley. (Yes I see a few differences, but essentially, it is nearly the same).

Don't get me wrong, the system looks well thought out. I just wanted to point out what others may not be comfortable pointing out.

I'm wondering how you obtained his pulleys. Did he sell you a bunch?

A valid question. I sent LightningRods a PM last night because I wanted him to look over my response before I posted it. Unfortunately this thread has blown up over night and he has not been able to get back to me yet. I will post it now and hope he is cool with everything I say.

LightningRods is well aware that this kit uses his 90t belt pulleys. I made him aware in December about my plans and asked him if he would supply me with pulleys. I was clear with him that this mid drive would have the same overall shape as the LightningRods and GNG Mid Drives and would use a similar motor, 25mm belt and 219 chain but would have a different philosophy about the design. LightningRods is not just a manufacturer of mid drives, he also manufactures and sells parts for ebikes.
That being said, I actually own a LightningRods Mid drive. I was one of the first 12 to be on the waiting list. I can tell anyone who is in the market for a high power mid drive that the LightningRods Kit is a very good kit. It is basically the jack of all trades when it comes to high power Mid Drives and offers a huge range of gearing ratios for people who want to pedal or not. IMO the LightningRods kit is the best price performance high power mid drive on the market and I have no plans to compete at that price point.
Though I really liked the LightningRods Mid Drive, I wanted something that was specifically designed for what I wanted to do. What I wanted to do was ride non stop off road up big mountains on extreme terrain without pedaling. I designed my kit to maximize heat dissipation, be geared for no pedaling, and be extremely rigid. I am not saying the LightningRods kit can not climb mountains, and until more testing is done, I will not know for sure if mine does it better. Either way, I will never make direct performance comparisons between my kit and his.

The fact is my kit is not for sale, LightningRods is and that makes all the difference.

Kepler said:
Got to say I was thinking the same thing as Matt.

Also seems like a big commitment list for the tester and then for the tester to end up with nothing 6 months down the track. Personally the privilege of using the drive for 6 months is no real compensation for all the work involved in providing R & D feedback on someone else's product especially when the tester is providing the platform to carry out the testing.

Not sure how driving an ebike around can possibly be considered a huge commitment. It is way too fun to be work.

Thud said:
1st,
I can only assume lightnig rods knew he was selling components to a potential competitor (is that the same motor as his "big block" offering?)

My only real question is: Have you stabilized the crank freewheel with an additional bearing as gng attempts to?

Now if you can reduce the weight to say 5lbs. for the drive unit & inovate a battery housing that will provide adequate protection for the dangerous cargo, you'll be home free.

The motor is very slightly larger than his small block. It uses 30mm magnets.

As for the crank freewheel, I am not sure what you mean. Do you have a picture of it? I have not had any problems in the crank area. The aluminum plate that I designed mate the freewheel, 219 sprocket and the chain ring is extra thick to prevent any possible deformation from the heavy loads.

Back