NYX/MXUS/Adaptto

morati

10 kW
I was going to build a mid drive after selling my Bomber but couldn't find anyone with a suitable frame that is in production to be able to ride this spring. I started looking around for a possible hub motor build as its easy to get used to the power these things can produce and noticed a vid on Youtube about a new manufacturer in Quebec building carbon fiber frames. A couple of emails later and I was in business. The people at NYX have been great so far answering all of my questions and were quite willing to provide me with the bike I was dreaming of. We settled on a bunch of parts which have been arriving slowly and I'll be taking the 8hr drive east in a couple of weeks or so to meet up with the NYX Techs themselves and drop off all the parts I have. I think this thing is gonna be awesome when its finished! I really wanted a Schlumpf drive on it so Cedric at NYX did all the leg work on that part of the project and its gonna happen. A FOX 40 RC2 (Stealth edition fork), 24" Odyssey LITE rims (HOPE EVO front hub), HOPE Tech3 V4 brakes and floating/vented rotors, Straitline AMP pedals and direct mount stem, Renthal FAT bar, White Industries ENO freewheel, Thompson post and Cane Creek double barrel coil shock/450lb spring should complete all of the bike componentry. For electrics, an Adaptto MAX-E controller should provide copious amounts of amperage to the MXUS 4T motor courtesy of a custom made (by Mr. DoctorBass himself) battery. Charging will be handled via an Eaton 1800watt unit (Allex in Sweden provided me with the controller and all the charging equipment, thanks Allex). I'll fill you guys in when things start to happen.......Much appreciated to all the gifted individuals posting on this forum cause I could not have done this without your wisdom.
John

Attachments

• P1000990(4).JPG
    P1000990(4).JPG
    235.4 KB · Views: 6,609
Of course subscribed! This will be a nice clean build!
Cheers from the Netherlands :D
David Raaijmakers

Taaagged!

Really glad that you started a build thread, this will help a lot of people. Good taste in components too, I would probably choose the same except for FOX - that one is not cheap! What final weight are you aming at? Where did you get those short grips?
And yeah, that controller was ment for my next build, it has longer phase/halls wires... a bit custom there. But right now it looks better over there in Canada :mrgreen:

Nice setup! I'm also doing a NYX+Adaptto soon.

Should be a really nice ebike!

liveforphysics said:
Nice setup! I'm also doing a NYX+Adaptto soon.

Should be a really nice ebike!

me too.

Torsional rigidity. As long as the swinger is rigid. My 2c.

spinningmagnets said:
Since there seems to be a lot of NYX fans here, what was the biggest appeal of the NYX frame, compared to the alternatives?

couple of important things...

The swingarm is concentric to the pedal cranks - so no chain growth means you can run a single speed.
Very well constructed, excellent finish - a top quality product.
it's light and strong and practical.
Carbon fibre has a 'wank factor' - which is a good thing when your trying to sell at the high end.
They are sexy.

spinningmagnets said:
Since there seems to be a lot of NYX fans here, what was the biggest appeal of the NYX frame, compared to the alternatives?

If you compare the frame with ie the Phasor as they are similar priced I would say weight and overall design. But I guess what is most intriguing is the fact that it is a carbon fiber frame. Super light and super strong.

Then if you compare the weight of the NYX with the HPC Evolution it is suddenly a bit confusing. As it seems the alum frame on the Evo is even lighter then NYX.

macribs said:
spinningmagnets said:

If you compare the frame with ie the Phasor as they are similar priced I would say weight and overall design. But I guess what is most intriguing is the fact that it is a carbon fiber frame. Super light and super strong.

Then if you compare the weight of the NYX with the HPC Evolution it is suddenly a bit confusing. As it seems the alum frame on the Evo is even lighter then NYX.

Hi Macribs,
we are light, but not THAT light. The reason is that our carbon fiber shell is not as thin as carbon fiber moutain bikes. When we designed the NYX 15, we aimed for strength and reliability and then, weight. As DoctorBass said : "This is the strongest and stiffest frame I saw until now"

Here's a picture showing of what is made the CarbonFiber Monocoque
cfec734355979c10ec0331c04b59ad99_original.jpg

Carbon Fiber alone is useless: the fibers need to be mixed with a precise amount of resin. The carefully measured balance between epoxy resin and carbon fiber will allow the fibers to lock into position and sustain major force.

Although the frame is mostly made out of carbon fiber, it must be made flexible to prevent disastrous snapping failures during use. In addition to two thick carbon fiber layers, an insert of fiberglass cloth is added to increase the strength and flexibility.

To prevail against premature wear, the frame has been meticulously upgraded in highly solicited areas. The suspension brackets are reinforced with kevlar layers and an aluminum plate is added inside the frame to cope with forces susceptible to cave the frame in. A high-density polymer spacer is also added under the suspension bracket attach to ensure a smooth force transfer between the rear suspension and the carbon fiber monocoque.

macribs said:
spinningmagnets said:

The HPC Evolution look really nice too as well.. but it is not in the same game as the Vector, NYX, etc.

The HPC can take about half the battery volume as the rest of the frame. The NYX can contain twice more battery witch mean twice more fun (2x more time to enjoy the high power ride) ! But the NYX remain narrow compare to the Vector and other frame like that.

The NYX / MXUS / Adaptto is an excellent trio !

Doc

I like the look of the NYX frame but the battery volume looks small to me, 'small' being a relative term of course.

Also the top loading opening doesn't look that big either, what kind of battery setup are you using Doc - 18650 ?

I'd love to use a load of the 16Ah Multistars but I don't think they would fit this frame....

Kudos

Each to his own. That frame will hold about +3kW if I am not mistaken.
For me, I would like to see a even smaller frame. The range is not important for me it is the fun factor, and for me, fan factor comes from small, nimble machines where I can go crazy for about 30minues or 30km - "less is more" in this case.

Yep I appreciate everyone wants something different which is why there is no one single frame for everyone and 3KWh is a decent amount for sure.

It's just with the NYX/Vektor/Qulbix/Revolution etc frames all being downhill MTB style frame, you're always limited for battery space.

It would be great if there were a cruiser style frame where battery space simply was not an issue and you could fill it with as much as you want.

Kudos

You can always go crazy and get Teleportator "Heavy" frame, that thing can hold 8kW
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=67201

Hadn't spotted that frame, bit of a beast!

Hopefully in the next few years the designs will evolve from the angular boxy enthusiast made frames of today, to more curvy streamlined pro looking versions.

Kudos

One could hope, but it is very hard to do, cost a lot of money to invest in proper gear to get this going, So we will only be looking on Big manufacturers that will do such things.

14g spokes arrived yesterday from HolmesHobbies so I laced it to my front rim in traditional 3x and took it to my LBS for truing. Rear shock should be arriving soon and then just the rotors which are late and I can head off to Quebec to meet up with NYX. Allex, short grips are available from Cambriabike
http://www.cambriabike.com/ODI-Lizard-Skin-Shorty-Lockon-Grips-White-90-Mil.asp
I like the NYX frame because it is relatively narrow compared to most other ebike frames out there (approx.112mm wide) and still offers alot of battery space. Quality looks to be amazing from everything I've seen so far and working with NYX has been a pleasure also.

Back