Do you care about pedaling?

I care about the deathboxes and trucks who make the air unbreathable and put me in a constant fear for a outof controll desaster.
So i like to have at least 5kw of emergency power to transform my bicycle to a ejector seat when teh deathbox flight path is directed to me.
The more i pedel the more toxic air i breath. The city is a frocked up place to make sport!
So i pedal only when its cold outside or if i need more range. Life is to short to push! frock the pedelec law!!!

Medical thing I recently discovered about pedaling - if you choose to adjust seat to improper "pedaling" height, DON'T PEDAL using any significant force.

I'd been experiencing soreness in my patella knee cap area and doctor informed me that this is commonly caused from applying too much pressure with knees bent. Obviously, PT strengthening certain muscles will help but don't aggravate your knees if you're using a low seat.

Like many here, I keep my seat low - easier to get on/of, stops/starts, chill cruising, etc. Unfortunately, this can manifest itself in ways not fully realized if/when you add any significant pedal input.

I love to pedal! Even with my 4.2kW, bike. Exercise is great, and it really helps keep the DD motor's heat down on steep climbs. Also keeps it from being too obvious that you're motored.. hardly anyone even takes a second look toward my somewhat un-stealthy build, as long as I keep pedaling.

With my 48t chainring I can just keep up with the motor's top speed at 55kph... with a pretty ridiculous cadence probably 200+rpm.. gets a good burn going.

Another huge benefit is winter riding, really helps get some body heat going on those 50kph and -20C commutes.

Although I've found the pedals really get in the way for technical off-roading, especially with my super low bottom bracket, due to using a 650b frame, with a 26" front and 24" rear.

beast775 said:
I like to pedal,i always feel a friendship with my battery and pedalling is like spooning your battery. :)

Uh... why are you spooning your friends? :shock:

I am 6'7" and have a 22.5" frame. Even with a tall seat post, I am a little shorter than optimal for pedaling, but I have done many miles in the saddle regardless. Still converting it to an ebike project currently, but I suspect I will end up mainly pedaling when someone is watching. I do like the burn though, so we shall see.

Ykick said:
Medical thing I recently discovered about pedaling - if you choose to adjust seat to improper "pedaling" height, DON'T PEDAL using any significant force.
Like many here, I keep my seat low - easier to get on/of, stops/starts, chill cruising, etc. Unfortunately, this can manifest itself in ways not fully realized if/when you add any significant pedal input.

And thus a great deal of why it hurts me to pedal nowadays, after having ridden that way all my life before I started my motorification quest...whereupon I had to begin learning about the bicycles I'd always used and used up without ever knowing anything about them, and I found out about adjustments, fittings, etc.

But it was too late, becuase much of the reason for my quest in the first place was cuz my knees were already hurting some, and I wasnt' able to pedal as hard or for as long, or haul as much cargo, etc., as before.

I'm not precisely sure which of several things accelerated the process once it started, to get me where I am now (8-9 years later), but there are a few possibilities, probably in combination.

I like to ride. I pedal anyway, but I like to be able to just *not* pedal... In Australia with typical 40C days ( 104F ) even slow easy pedaling is like taking a bath in pure stench, which limits the value of pedaling an electric in the summer. Some people get to shower at their destination - I usually don't.

Besides, I think too many people get caught up in bicycles being some kind of privilege because you can pedal them - The privilege should be afforded to low-momentum vehicles at safe speeds so that they don't require registration. To that extent, I feel low-speed low-weight scooters should also be just as legitimate as bicycles. Low-cost unregistered transport should be regarded as a basic human right, with or without pedaling.

Anyway, below about 25, I still do pedal - and with the 200w laws we have in Australia ( almost 250w now ) it's still required when going up hills, but generally the motor makes the trip more convenient.

David

I pedal 100% of the time. (except coasting)
I spend a fair amount of time during the design process working out the gear ratios so I can maintain a proper cadence at any speed my trikes can travel at.
-because-
This is the only exercise I can manage.

Ykick said:

I'd been experiencing soreness in my patella knee cap area and doctor informed me that this is commonly caused from applying too much pressure with knees bent. Obviously, PT strengthening certain muscles will help but don't aggravate your knees if you're using a low seat.

I guess I'm lucky in some ways, I never was able to pedal much with my knees bent since I had relatively minor knee problems ever since I can remember so I learned very young to put my seat up to the proper height. Now at sixtymumble I can still pedal fairly vigorously as long as I keep my legs as straight as possible. One of the advantages of a bent for street riding is that even with my head just slightly lower than the average car driver's head I still have my legs stretched out.. Funny thing is that my knees actually feel better if I pedal quite a lot but not too hard, I've always been a spinner rather than a masher anyway and spinning isn't nearly as hard on the knees as mashing, my pedals look like a hamster wheel when I'm cruising at speed. :)

Also as someone already mentioned if you are pedaling the cops are far more likely to ignore you as just another bicycle than when you are obviously riding under power.

There was a post up a few days ago showing an e-bent with sidestick steering someone had custom fabricated and the builder was pedaling along with his knees at about a 90 degree angle, I didn't like that aspect of the bike at all.

I pedal:
as a cardiovascular workout
to push past the 20mph "legal" limit
to beat cars when light turns green (humping the pedals in low gears w/motor assist rockets me up to 20mph in a few seconds, takes cars half a block to catch up)
to fool eBike haters

As a fitness check, I often motor assist up to 20mph, then maintain speed via pedal only for as long as bearable, recover, repeat.
Progressed from barely able to maintain a normal Mountain bike at 10mph(2008) to 9miles averaging 20mph - (pedal only) ... thanks to eBike assist with constant pedaling gradually rejuvenating my health.

While I am not averse to the motor only eBike ... I prefer the eaBike as the eco² + healthy alternative.

Definitely, the bike must fit you to pedal much. Too high gearing can cause a problem too, I did a minor injury to my knee riding single track, with not low enough gears for a tough steep trail. (non motor) Age, leg muscles stronger than the ligaments now. That was before my illness. I never pedal that hard now.

The way to make the seat high enough, and still low to the ground to get on and off is to have a pedal forward bike.

Either something like an electra townie, or a bent.

On the cheap bikes, that have the skinny steel seatposts, you can stick the seat end of one into the butt end of the the other, and get a perfect fit. The either weld, or just put a few screws through it to secure it. Viola, incredibly long seatpost for the tall guy on a bike sized for a kid.

Then of course, your handlebars are below your crotch, so you need to put bmx bars or even apehangers on the bike.

Truthfully, I have multiple - multiuse eBikes.

2008 eZip Trailz = 100% modest to moderate+ pedal assist
21mph motor only@25.9V, optimized for pedal assist past 25mph. (44-11T top gears)
26 x 1.95 65psi low RR Kevlar belted tires
(slated for 24-33.3V+ controller to make 30mph pedal assisted spurts feasible)
Front strobe headlight - rear flash and turn indicators

2008 eZip Mountain Trailz (Snow Beast) = 100% pedal assist ... except when feet drag through snow and slush
(Seat lower than for optimal pedaling and lowered further for skiing feet on treacherous streets)
Re-geared for ~20mph@33.3V top speed (15mph+@25.9V) = more torque!
Studded tires
Front and rear flashing lights

2013 eZip Trailz LS (Comfort Cruiser) = Pedal assist up to speed or mock pedal usually
Geared for ~20mph but I tend to meander along trails at <15mph
Big comfy fully lowered seat and balloon cruiser tires
Quiet(er) motor
My guilty pleasure ... cruise along the cool forest trail during hot weather

I added quick connects to rear wheel-motor units for quick swapping between different eZips.

Crankin' it! - mid-mounted crank drive in the works - Looking to apply optimal gear and voltage ratios for 100% pedal assist!

I usually determine my contribution to pedaling by time constraints. If I need to be at a destination faster, I'll pour the juice. If I'm allowed the time, I typically pedal with 250w assist for the exercise, enjoying the scenery along the way, with my 3w bike speakers pumping out tunes. I know it's idiotic, but I still get range anxiety and/or battery mindfulness (battery spooning) even with a ton of capacity on my frame. I feel a sense of accomplishment to ebike 50+ miles and come home to a 3/4 full battery. :mrgreen:

I've a feeling if my speakers were powerful enough to overcome the wind noise at anything above 25mph I'd be pedaling less.

The question that should be asked is if your bike has been built with pedaling in mind, or was it built as a "get back home insurance policy". As it comes with situational risk, would you pedal at anything above 35mph? I would. :twisted:

On my new trike build I will not be pedalling, pedals are hid in the front fairing and can't be seen, just there for to make it legal. Cut the crank arms to 100mm, dropped the boom 3 inches and put on kids pedals to make it all fit in my front fairing.
I will tell everyone it's just an electric trike, but will pedal when I meet the low. Was thinking of going with no chain, but put it in and covered up most of it.

Wayne

True North Trikes

Good plan. Pedals for show is fine. Pedals will be welcome if you ever do break down, have a battery crap out, etc.

Seatec said:
On my new trike build I will not be pedalling, pedals are hid in the front fairing and can't be seen, just there for to make it legal. Cut the crank arms to 100mm, dropped the boom 3 inches and put on kids pedals to make it all fit in my front fairing.
I will tell everyone it's just an electric trike, but will pedal when I meet the low. Was thinking of going with no chain, but put it in and covered up most of it.

Wayne

True North Trikes
eTrike Conversion - as Mobility device! ... ?
I've plans for 2 types of eTrike conversions.

1. Pedal Assist
Most would just go a front hub motor, but ... too easy?
Motorizing, by either an idler type motor to chain addition or an additional freewheel sprocket added to rear axle, gives the option of precise gearing for torque or speed.

2. No Pedal Assist - Mobility Device! ... ?
Schwinn Meridian with 450w MY1018z gear reduction motor connected directly to the fixed 22T rear axle sprocket.
Pedals are fixed and used as partial support for a step platform.
Motor only speed from 24V battery is ~14mph.
Affordable controller provides Forward/Reverse capability!
Rear brake support might be negated (dependent on method), but augmented via the substantial resistance provided by the non-freewheeling gear reduction motor.
Front brake, including "parking brake" function, still functional.

Ottodog said:
hydro-one said:
i took my chain off months ago.....i call it the air coupled drive......it doesnt have the problems of a conventinal chain eg. falling off every time u pedal when u see a cop, getting jammed in the tire, and making you look like a fool......arousing the wrong type of attention......now when i need to pedal i just do it . its so smooth and the 53tooth chainring cuts though the air like a saber...... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Speaking of Cops... Has that been a problem for anyone? I'll need to take it overland to get to the dirt...

I had my ~4kw bike setup with no chain AND no freewheel/sprocket on the hub motor. I was pulled over one time after passing a cop at ~40mph, and of course I was "freepedaling" to give the illusion that I was still riding an electric assist bike. The cop took a look at my bike and told me to carry on....he never even noticed that the chain and freewheel were missing...

Yes i care about pedaling. I got into ebikes b/c I can barely walk from disability, can't ride a bike any more. Limited income can't afford a big price tag.

Bought an ebike kit, put it on my old cruiser, with the motor i can get outside and spin a low gear to keep the pain down for a mile or 2. Built up a f/s for more comfort, maybe i can work up to a few miles' range and ride to town for errands.

Physically dependent on my ebike, i need to keep it stealth, to avoid the redneck haters as well as the Law. For me that means pedaling, obeying traffic laws, etc.

I like to pedal with 48t 11t. I loved my 2810 because of the hills and would saturate around 28~30 mph at that speed the wh/mi. would go way down. Burned it up on the beach.
I now have a muxus 3,000 @ 3200 watts 5t and it sucks my 20ah a lot faster for it's 38mph. But 24mph up hills people walk their bike up. Just the same I'm going to.switch it to a free muxus I think is a speed wind 28mm. @ 80v 30amps. Can only tell when installed.
I would like to find a controller that works with my bmc 600hs to see if it still works. Works with ebike tester. Just hard to find an analog controller for it. I love that geared motor even though it changed colors inside ???

I think about pedaling all the time. I just can't.. I am 65 and have Parkinson's and refuse to give up on being mobile. stubborn I guess. at this point in my life I think about the things I can do and not about the things I cant do. I will have pedals on my rig but just for the cops. I love this forum.

I have a DD 58v 40Amp controller with a big gear ratio 54T front 16T rear.
The problem that I encountered is that riding at 35kph or above the cadence is still too high for me (64rpm) and you end up pedalling fast but not really "pushing". That has its consequences, after a 4 month winter using only my ebike I decided to grab my unassisted MTB for weekends... definitely I couldn't keep up as I used to do in previous MTB seasons.
Ebike has many advantages, speed, non-sweating-hills. But also can make yourself unfit.

A few days ago I got a new chainring: a huge 60T !!!! (60T front 16T rear) That makes a difference, now I can pedal pushing strongly in every stroke with a 48rpm cadence and keep my normal cruise speed of 35-40kph. I really love low cadence is like being in the gym, slow movement & high weight, after a ride I can feel my leg muscles stiff. I really recommend big gear ratios and low cadence.

fesanand said:
I have a DD 58v 40Amp controller with a big gear ratio 54T front 16T rear.
The problem that I encountered is that riding at 35kph or above the cadence is still too high for me (64rpm) and you end up pedalling fast but not really "pushing". That has its consequences, after a 4 month winter using only my ebike I decided to grab my unassisted MTB for weekends... definitely I couldn't keep up as I used to do in previous MTB seasons.
Ebike has many advantages, speed, non-sweating-hills. But also can make yourself unfit.

A few days ago I got a new chainring: a huge 60T !!!! (60T front 16T rear) That makes a difference, now I can pedal pushing strongly in every stroke with a 48rpm cadence and keep my normal cruise speed of 35-40kph. I really love low cadence is like being in the gym, slow movement & high weight, after a ride I can feel my leg muscles stiff. I really recommend big gear ratios and low cadence.

I can relate. I'm putting a Sclumpf drive on new build for the same reasons. Supposed to be able to peddle up to 50 mph+. 8)

When I want to exercise I use the ebike set up for proper pedaling and the low power motor helps with the hills. All of my other ebikes have cranks but no chains. I prefer the adjustable footrest position of pedals than fixed pegs like a moto. They're all legally bicycles and I'd never faux pedal. It would be silly and dangerous to pedal the higher power rigs at traffic speeds and above anyway. Ebikes are our family's basic transportation, and they get me from point A to point B in the most efficient manner possible, with time and safety being the highest priorities. The fact that it's so fun is icing on the cake.

My throttle is only there is engage full power instantly.
It's an e-bike, if I didn't pedal it would be an e-motorcycle. Owning such a thing without proper papers is far to trailer-park for my liking. I don't want an illegal motorcycle. Just an assisted bicycle for about 20mph.

In traffic I turn the power up to ease the effects on my lungs. I won't start heavy breathing in such polution. I find I sometimes try and grab a lung full of good air, only to realise there is non. I can't get an oxygen rush of any sort. There is more ill effect than benifit. It is only then that I understand the benifits of a car with good air conditioning. Not that many have suitable filtration mind.

I may find a carbon mask supplier. Anything to stop dieing of the worlds biggest killer. Air polution. My concern is the mask adding dust to my lungs.

Back