Raged Focus Black Forest 29er MAC 10T 40A Build log!

Well heres a sad update.... i was in an incident yesterday morning and am pretty frocked up. Last time i saw my bike was in a few peices (i will track it down when i get out of hospital). I do know front fork is fully ripped off though.

I uploaded my unedited phone footage via 4g if you want to see it here :

[youtube]3o2AMHTv-ks[/youtube]

Ill upload updates when i can.

Dam Raged, I hope you f'd that car up at least a little!
I was on the edge of my seat w/ the train crossing, the anticipation of something horrible. . .

*spoiler?* Glad to see it wasn't a train anyway (you never know, crazy things happen)

and I hope you make/get the most out of you're down time and recovery; these types of things cost enough, we should be getting something out of even the very worst if we're still here.
Feel better bro

Holy crap thats no good. Speedy recovery man.

Gasp! Watched that vid and its like deja-vu. Please make absolutely certain there is a police accident report, and that its complete & accurate. Also if you have witnesses, get their contact information. Get a copy of the accident report. Start a folder, collecting all the information in one place. A just-in-case precaution. Once insurance companies, lawyers, etc. get involved the facts can skew way off kilter. You clearly had right of way and the driver of the car was at fault. However..... ..... ..... Wishing you're OK, out of the hospital and back riding ASAP!

arkmundi said:
Gasp! Watched that vid and its like deja-vu. Please make absolutely certain there is a police accident report, and that its complete & accurate. Also if you have witnesses, get their contact information. Get a copy of the accident report. Start a folder, collecting all the information in one place. A just-in-case precaution. Once insurance companies, lawyers, etc. get involved the facts can skew way off kilter. You clearly had right of way and the driver of the car was at fault. However..... ..... ..... Wishing you're OK, out of the hospital and back riding ASAP!

Yeah police were on the scene in minutes and heaps of people stopped and assisted until the ambulance got there. All the witnesses said it was drivers fault to police. And video evidence will seal that arguement anyway. My hand has severe lacerations. Plastic surgeons worked on it last night To reduce scarring. Ive got more injuries in pelvic region and a whole lot of bruises and scratches. I think my hand went through the windscreen...

But other than that... im in good spirits. Australian safety net of free health cover is awesome. Ate Double hospital breakfast and just chilling out in the Alfred Hospital.

Good to know you're OK and in good spirits. Pull a copy of the police report and double check it for accuracy. Do you have liability insurance? Call them & report the accident. Get the insurance information for the car? Call them & report the accident. Sure that video is good evidence? Maybe not - is your eBike street legal? Start thinking like a lawyer and don't expect the system to work in your favour. In my accident, I also thought no-brainer, car-at-fault. Then when the insurance company refused any kind of settlement, I had to take them to court, and learned the hard-way.

Remains of the bike were dropped off today... Heres a hint of the size of the impact.... Sheared at the welds... Focus usually make pretty strong frames...

20150430_153954.jpg

20150430_154027.jpg

20150430_154304.jpg

The only recoverable parts are maybe :

- seatpost + seat
- hydraulic brakes front/rear
- cranks
- kick stand
- wheels
- handlebars maybe
- shock maybe.

I have my backup 29er for single track.... not sure if I want to mod this or get a cheaper commuter (with 7 speed gears) and rear rack.

20150430_162133.jpg

Should we ask what happened to the motor, batts and controller !?!

Samd said:
Should we ask what happened to the motor, batts and controller !?!

They're all fine surprisingly. My in frame box held up and kept everything safe. I'd hate to have thought what would happen if it was on a rear rack. If frame snaps like that, a rear rack has no chance and I'd have a missile slamming into my back.

I removed it first in case of fire, but yeah... everything still works...

edit: Might see if I can try out a BBS02 setup as a lighter/nimble combo. See how much I'd like it compared to the MAC10T.

That sucks
Hope you heal up quick quickly without too much pain.

Still recovering from my crash over easter but at least mine was my own fault.

Incidentally i was running a MAC 10t rear too but i badly messed up a wheelie at about 25kph.

Im sure way to many car drivers assume bikes do 10kph.

Yeah... I'm as fast on my carbon roadie, just not as consistent over distance. On my carbon with drops I can wind out 55km/h for a short distance or even faster downhill. (2010 ultegra 18 speed)...

Hope your recovery happens quick as well mate =)

Yeah, the number of times i had people turn in front of me at 25 to 28kph on my old mountain bike and had to brake hard before i got into ebikes convinced me they dont look or dont realise how fast bikes can be powered or not.

Your road bike and decent ebikes being the extreme example of someyhing many people dont expect.

I started running a bright LED front light day or night and i think that helps clue them in a little since people tend to associate headlight and bike in daytime with motorbike.

Ricky_nz said:
Yeah, the number of times i had people turn in front of me at 25 to 28kph on my old mountain bike and had to brake hard before i got into ebikes convinced me they dont look or dont realise how fast bikes can be powered or not.

Your road bike and decent ebikes being the extreme example of someyhing many people dont expect.

I started running a bright LED front light day or night and i think that helps clue them in a little since people tend to associate headlight and bike in daytime with motorbike.

Yeah I always run flashing front and rear regardless of weather (you can see reflections in the vid). Are you using 1 solid light as well as a flasher for the front?

As for stitches.... I think 22... I can count 8 on my leg and another 14 on my hands (1 big cut and a lot of small cuts). When I replaced the bandages, looks like plastic surgeon did a great job on repairing my hand. When it heals up, most of the cuts will disappear.

I've still got all these good parts from the broken frame... trying to find a 16-17" 29er frame for cheap is balls =( My one stop shop for cheap frames (Cyclingdeal) only has 18" frames available with no eta on new stock. To top it off, doing the maths for frame, new shifters, brakes, Hydraulic lines, etc... its almost cheaper to get a new bike. $350 in parts and labour to rebuild or I could pick up another focus black forrest 29er brand new for $550 from the lbs. No rush though... at least another month before I get back on a bike.

Also, anyone know where I can get a BBS02 for cheap in Melbs?

Well done
A) Alive
b) Alive
c) Alive

get busy, nuts bike here auction ends in hours http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111653435498?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I bought a Trek Excalibur 7 for $879 at TBE on Friday. 20% off $1099 trek list.

Bad news is due exchange rate stuff from cellman is $$$$ in AU ATM.

My pref kit 8T rear drive , 12FET, 15AH 14S8P 20R cells, torque arm thumb throttle = $1700+ AUD.

Notes for others
"action camera" at Good guys waterproof $95
KICKASS lights required DC-DC converters are cheap and run off bike pack no worries.

Incidentally, thought i'd buy the Trek because it would be a better commuter than my 2 speed fixie with front 350W MAC running 28A (13C 29E cells 11AH Frame Batt)
as would have brakes to match its performance unlike the crap rim brakes i have now.

Your vid shows a situation where i would ALWAYS be VERY wary an ^$%#ing idiot would do the wrong thing, right of way means nothing, live and learn.

BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID...... you'll live longer

Karl

Haha yeah I'm glad to be alive =) just feels I'm wasting time and I can't do shit when my hand is in bandages. =( I'm one of those people who always needs to be doing *stuff* and its frustrating ... almost watched everything on netflix =(

Nice trek. A warning that the 9 speed DNP freewheel is a POS though. I have 3 of them (11t small cog). 1 dead ratcheting mechanism, another was shifting bad into last gear and 1 brand new one ( had to get a spare just in case ). It would work, but never like a shimano cassette if you know what I mean. I have a sunrace 9 speed as well which shifted nicer but only 13t small cog. To use the sunrace, you'd need to put a 48t or 50t+ on the front to pedal fast enough to make a difference.

As for donor bikes, I might just use my backup bike (the Marin) since it has flat wide dropouts then use the insurance money on something nicer for single track. The Marin was an impulse gumtree purchase for $300 including accessories. If you count the cost of accessories, I only paid $150 for the actual bike =)

Good to see you are on the mend!

Treks typically have 73mm BB... as does mine.

Going Bafang - go 68mm BB.... then you can use both lockrings to hold it on.

You know, you could always weld humpty dumpty back together again with a custom battery box.... not sure whether the frame is damaged elsewhere... just a thought. SamD would be the man to see.

Raged said:
Haha yeah I'm glad to be alive =) just feels I'm wasting time and I can't do shit when my hand is in bandages. =( I'm one of those people who always needs to be doing *stuff* and its frustrating ... almost watched everything on netflix =
Same problem here. Been too tired to do things partly due to effort dragging round a usless leg but also due to the energy my body is using to fix itself. Really hate the waste time. Sucks i get time off work but arnt up to using it for something useful so do the same as you hit netflix etc. Just seams like a complete waste but i guess healing well isnt really a waste.

Ricky_nz said:
Raged said:
Haha yeah I'm glad to be alive =) just feels I'm wasting time and I can't do shit when my hand is in bandages. =( I'm one of those people who always needs to be doing *stuff* and its frustrating ... almost watched everything on netflix =
Same problem here. Been too tired to do things partly due to effort dragging round a usless leg but also due to the energy my body is using to fix itself. Really hate the waste time. Sucks i get time off work but arnt up to using it for something useful so do the same as you hit netflix etc. Just seams like a complete waste but i guess healing well isnt really a waste.

Are you on endone? That shit frocks you up hard... i left hospital with a sheet of endone, a sheet ot 400mg ibprofen (frocks up your stomach), 2 sheets of antibiotics and 48 panadine forte.... take anything and you sleep great... then hang the biggest bogs known to man. Its awful and great at the same time =)

Raged said:
Are you on endone? That shit frocks you up hard... i left hospital with a sheet of endone, a sheet ot 400mg ibprofen (frocks up your stomach), 2 sheets of antibiotics and 48 panadine forte.... take anything and you sleep great... then hang the biggest bogs known to man. Its awful and great at the same time =)
No. I left hospital with paracetamol, ibuprofen, tramadol.
I still have some tramadol left but havent needed it for a week. Ibuprofen ran out but they gave me enough paracetamol for max daily dose for 6 weeks. Im sure i dont need that much but its way cheaper to buy on perscription than supermarket so i shouldent need to buy panadol for years lol.

taking heaps of tramadol was messing me up and making me sleep. In hospital i had one day with a total of 400mg tramadol plus 2 sebatol (fast acting morphine ). That was the max tramadol i was allowed to take per day when i got home too. That day i was pretty messed up. Day after op i think. I started that day off well waking up shaking in pain and could barely grab the buttpn to call a nurse.

I had 3 doses of some injected antibotic in hospital after op and in recovery they gave me a couple of doses of some anti puke injection but i dont remember much of what they did then but when they put me back in ward it was the first time i have had general ansthetec and not felt woosey after even ate the evening meal and kept it down so the anti puke stuff must have worked

Back