VESC Open Source - Android App Features?!?!

Cool. Whoever makes the interface maybe they could use the volume buttons to control the brake and throttle. Having a real button as aposed to a touch screen is a bit harder to push and I imagine would feel more secure

Hummina Shadeeba said:
Cool. Whoever makes the interface maybe they could use the volume buttons to control the brake and throttle. Having a real button as aposed to a touch screen is a bit harder to push and I imagine would feel more secure

That's genius! If your regular controller battery dies when riding, i think this is a great option. Not sure i'll have my Note 4 swinging in the wind daily, but a great backup! Much better than touch screen w/ the physical rocker on the volume giving you some tactile feel.

I think a bootloader would be an awesome feature, and I think it can be implemented quite easily. The STM32F4 can write to its own flash memory and has 1MB flash while the firmware only requires 110kB, so the whole firmware could be uploaded to flash together with a checksum. Then, the firmware can jump to a bootloader that reads that new firmware, checks the checksum and replaces the old firmware with it if the checksum is correct. After that, it can start the new firmware. I will try to implement a bootloader like that this weekend, but I'm not sure if I will be able to finish.

Nice one Vedder! along with the app, that will make life easy for us who don't know how to use Ubantu

As far as app features go, I would suggest looking at the Adaptto E-bike controllers. they display a huge amount of information. Most useful would be:

Battery guage
Battery Ah used
distance traveled
Speed
power
Current
Voltage
economy (km per Wh)
estimated range remaining
Various temperatures
Odometer
Total Wh used (keep track of how many battery cycles you have used)

I realise that many of these would mean the rider would have to have their phone with them each time using the skateboard which may not be the case. Maybe the statistics would need to be stored in the VESC EEPROM and relayed to the app when connected.

But most of all, that BLDC configuration tool in App format would be amazing!

BoostedBoards App
11174357_955285514503180_191316944027059474_o.jpg

I really like the Marbel Board's app as well.
App2.jpg

https://vimeo.com/98002153

I like the custom mode w/ acceleration as % and top speed limit you can set.

Has odometer, miles to empty, map overlay of distance you can travel, etc. Clean.

No idea how much of this might be able to apply to VESC, but i think they raised the bar app wise.

Here's another feature to consider if the route of using a smartphone for control is considered. Found a new eboard company called Faraday Motion from 3ders.org since I'm a 3d printer person looking for whats new in this industry. Video show controlling eboard using smartphones gyroscope sensors. Uses disc brakes since its an Onda board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYrp4mpov2c

Hi guys Iv gotten the video logger semi working on windows and OS X.
We will pop this on line soon!

Also have been working on a iOS and android all, we are keeping the look basic ATM but will fix this soon!
Take a look at some screen shots!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Let me know of things if you think they need to be changed!

so cool
IDK.. I think if you could release a basic build or what works for you and get feedback that way..

That's a good start but need BIG and COLORFUL buttons (you don't want to hesitate over the button your finger has to press if you need to check quickly your e-board status) ; Still good job!

We will be going pictures instead of writing but we need to design them!
If any one wants to chip in please contact me!

If any one wants to donate to the project please also contact me.

jacobbloy said:
We will be going pictures instead of writing but we need to design them!
If any one wants to chip in please contact me!

If any one wants to donate to the project please also contact me.

What kind of file do you need for pictures? PNG? GIF? PM sent ;)

Hey Jacobbloy,

Great work! I have also been working on an iOS and Android app for eBoarders and for VESC.

How are you going to connect to the VESC?

My app is pretty much built for iOS and I'll be working on Android really soon. I've started with a basic ride log app for map, speed, distance and altitude because we can log these things with just the phone. Connection to VESC coming later when we've sorted out how to connect these two components.

I'm happy to work with you on this if you wish. I can put the code in GitHub. If anyone with iOS wants to test this then give me a shout.

- Full screen map
- Dashboard overlay with speed & altitude graph
- Dashboard shows live speed when in session, average when finished
- Support for kilometres/KPH or miles/MPH
- Interactive graph to pinpoint speed/altitude on map
- History logging and view
- Choice of map (sattelite, standard or hybrid)
- Logs in the background even when the app is shut

goCatiOS_b6.png

yea mate i really want to get programming up and running. basically the code for the bloc tool works ok on iOS but the GUI needs to be changed.
iv been looking at bluetooth options and vedder has been too, vedder has gotten bluetooth working from ubuntu to VESC basically just from UART connection.
iOS needs licensed products for bluetooth 2.0 and 3.0 but 4.0 there are no licensing so you can run a cheap nrf8001 chip, iv seen some through adrfruit that already have sdks for there chip and have been designed to plug direct into UART.

https://www.adafruit.com/products/1697

https://www.adafruit.com/products/2479

this could work well maybe! the stm32 chip is already used very day on many iOS apps say most activity and HRM.
this shouldn't be a problem.

correct!

you wanna jump in on the work on upward.com?

if you want to sign up and a developer them we can work together and i can pay others less lol!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bym9XrdeViekd1RGNVFjSWFLRFk/view?usp=sharing

I hope that this can be downloaded buy every one who needs it!

We have the BLDC tool for windows and OS X and the BLDC video logger for windows and OSX.

OS X version of BLDC tool has a FEB version for all that are running FW 1.1

I hope you all like! We have just made the VESC accesssable to just about every one.

@benj
Would love it if we could get the BLDC logger working inbuilt into your app so we can have map and or video with realtime motor data.

Love what you guys are doing.... I wish I had the skillz to do some coding stuff.... I can help design the GUI... banners, icons, buttons etc.

I can't wait to start using the windows version of BLDC to program some vesc... ill have 100 vescs in about 4wks...

Update

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

View attachment 1

We are working on some better icons ATM please if any one has any suggestion may it be good or bad please let me know! As we want to get this right!

I'm going for a basic look ATM as we can as color and fancy later.

Sweeeet dl and trying the windoz now

Back