jonescg's NEW electric racebike BUILD thread!

That footage is great. I've tried doing similar for the G-Force stats in some of my Fighter video's but the results are not nearly as nice.
[youtube]pwAJMIFq_1w[/youtube]

Is the overlay in your vid from the original footage, or did you add it using data sets in post editing? If you did it in post editing, what software did you use?

Cheers

I loved watching it pull away from a new zx10r off the corner and for the first part of the straight, which if your telemetry data is correct was only ~80% throttle?

I would re-bleed the front brake and/or get braided stainless lines. That lever appears to be kissing the bar.

Yup awesome. I can watch that over and over!
[youtube]lDHSeqxQ84g[/youtube]

liveforphysics said:
I loved watching it pull away from a new zx10r off the corner and for the first part of the straight, which if your telemetry data is correct was only ~80% throttle?

I would re-bleed the front brake and/or get braided stainless lines. That lever appears to be kissing the bar.

Haha, yeah the brakes could use a bleed (will do it just before the first race weekend) but Danny's got small hands, so yeah that's kinda normal :) The lines are HEL braided lines already and the Brembo MC is beautiful.

The throttle/brake is based entirely on the accelerometer in the GPS unit. He's hitting WOT in several parts of the circuit, but you have to back off over the hill or you wheelie like crazy. Dabbing the rear brake does frock all. On my first ride of Barbagallo in anger I took three sessions before I had the courage to hit WOT on the start/finish straight. I shat my pants as I was pinned against the seat back :lol:

The steering head angle is steeper than most sports bikes, partly because the original design called for a much shorter shock and linkage. The longer shock (more travel and thus damping) means we're wound the rear ride height adjuster back to the stop, but it's still quite a short trail. A set of adjustable triples will sort that, but it's a good $1300 we don't have right now. There's about $4000 worth of entry fees for the year, plus shipping the bike around the country, plus flights, accommodation, food and beer.

So if anyone in South Australia, ideally north of Adelaide, can offer the three of us a bit of floor space, that would be awesome!

I use a program called Dashware and overlay the data before I put the clips into an editor.
Chris is correct the acceleration and braking are only g-forces, it took the highest value and scaled it, I should have taken more time to scale the bar or renamed it because it is a bit misleading. That bits just for effect but the speed and 1.5g plotter circle are correct.

Great bike! I love that you did your own chassis as well!

Perhaps we can race together one of these days!

Cheers mate!

team_EMUS said:
Great bike! I love that you did your own chassis as well!

Perhaps we can race together one of these days!

Cheers mate!

We look forward to the opportunity! Maybe in 2016 - we'll see how we go.

Minor update.

The entry form has been submitted for round one, so if nothing else we're winners by default :lol: Pretty sure Ripperton will sign up this week too. I know David can't make the interstate commitment with his Zero, but hopefully Sutho will come over with his Brammo TTX. Jon and the Catavolt machine are still uncertain for the season, so an appearance at Mallala might be pushing it.

Meantime, here's the new and improved Voltron Evo crate:
Upgraded crate.jpg

frock I love pumping Riv-Nuts into shit. Makes for a very neat and robust crate, which should be easier to pack and unpack now.

Not long now!

We've managed to get a lot of noise out of the system, so a serial port data logger should work now. Just need some sensible means of getting that mountain of hexadecimal gobbledegook to resemble torque, throttle position, rpm and temperature data. Something less cumbersome than a laptop Velcroed to the tank cover would be good too.

jonescg said:
We've managed to get a lot of noise out of the system, so a serial port data logger should work now. Just need some sensible means of getting that mountain of hexadecimal gobbledegook to resemble torque, throttle position, rpm and temperature data. Something less cumbersome than a laptop Velcroed to the tank cover would be good too.
What did you do to remove noise?

Arlo1 said:
What did you do to remove noise?

Main thing was to put a twist in the three phase wires going to the motor. They're only about 600 mm long, but they have to go around the shock. Initially we just had them going straight to the motor but now there's a bit of a plait to them, and they're tied off to the right. We also put a decent ground on one of the shields, but the serial port outputs remain unshielded. The thing about wiring looms is that you can always do a better job :lol:

Brett not racing the Brammo this year at all !
Im in at Mallala in spite of doomed finances.
Varley not sure yet
Voltron EVO unboxing video, note once it gets out, it doesn't go around corners properly. :p
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1c4_1430330468

RIPPERTON said:
Brett not racing the Brammo this year at all !
Im in at Mallala in spite of doomed finances.
Varley not sure yet
Voltron EVO unboxing video, note once it gets out, it doesn't go around corners properly. :p
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1c4_1430330468

:lol: That's awesome! :D

Nah she goes around corners good now. Not like the first time we unboxed it at Willowbank...

Real shame Brett's not racing at all. Even if he only did Sydney and Wakefield rounds... C'mon man, we're coming from Perth!

Varley have signed up today too which is great to see.

Looking forward to catching up Dan :)

Tony - do we need to submit any paperwork? Tech files or anything? Electrically and energetically our bike is exactly the same as last year.

I will double check with with Malcolm but my understanding is if the electrical setup (wiring, components etc) has not changed then no, no new paperwork.

If you have new components, new battery setup (not included changes in cell count), new motor etc then yes and updated set of technical files to Mal.

I will confirm the bikes against the provided documentation (old or new) at the track.

I am talking to Mal tonight so we can draft a pre race email with reminders in it.

Pottz Mallala Rd 1.jpg
Well round one was run and won! Massive thanks to Dan Evans for his help all weekend driving us between Adelaide and Mallala, and to the Adelaide biking community who came up to the track to watch the fastest guys in the country.

All the results from the day can be found here: http://www.computime.com.au/meetings/index.aspx?MeetID=2015/SWANN2/ just click on any link that says "eFXC"

The Sunday afternoon race can be found at about 3 hours in on the first video pane, and 2.37 minutes in on the second pane wil show the Sunday morning race - Wheelie over the line for the chequers!
http://livestream.com/accounts/1658248/events/4028643

Fantastic to see Jason and the Varley RP1 machine starting to get more consistent - the Ultramotive motor certainly dishes out as much torque as the Evo motor, but we can spin ours out faster. Some great battling for the punters too.

Looking forward to Sydney Motorsports Park in ~5 weeks time! Hopefully we will see a few more production bikes on track too. We met a fellow who said he was the Lightning importer for Australia. We shall wait and see...

Congrats on your success at Mallala, Chris.

jonescg said:
We met a fellow who said he was the Lightning importer for Australia. We shall wait and see...
You would think that there would be some mention of this on the forums or perhaps media releases. Maybe deal not quite done yet??? :?

Grinhill said:
Congrats on your success at Mallala, Chris.

jonescg said:
We met a fellow who said he was the Lightning importer for Australia. We shall wait and see...
You would think that there would be some mention of this on the forums or perhaps media releases. Maybe deal not quite done yet??? :?

Dunno - he's a diversified businessman, with expertise in the catering industry :?

The proof will be in the grid line up at Eastern Creek. Any less is just fluff, and any more is good competition :)

Alright everyone, time for an update. Voltron has been packed up into her box and is ready to go to Sydney for round two of eFXC - Australia's only electric motorcycle race class.

We're feeling pretty confident going into this round now that we've got a bike which is set up well and Danny knows the circuit fairly well. The aim for us locally will be to get into the 1:39s without incident. Oh and to win of course. No pressure Pottz :D The Varley boys have been busy getting their machine more reliable, which is great to see. Jason was a genuine contender at Mallala, so it will be exciting to see some improvements there. Ripperton was sent the wrong magnets for his motor upgrades, which really sucks as he's already down on horsepower. They're going to send the right ones, but too late for the round :(

David will be back on his Zero which is just plain awesome. I also really hope Brett and the ELMOFO Brammo TTX shows up too. We need more bikes on the grid, and to have a couple of working machines sit there idle is a terrible waste.

Friday practice starts at 9 am, 26th of June. Entry is free on Friday, but Sat and Sun are pay-at-the-gate days.

And by the way...
If all this electric motorcycle malarkey really floats your boat, you should be getting behind this guy:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/952491968/power-in-flux-the-history-of-electric-motorcycles
Ted Dillard is writing a book on electric motorcycles and it's shaping up to be one nugget of a book. Flick him some cash so he can finish this book!

jonescg said:
And by the way...
If all this electric motorcycle malarkey really floats your boat, you should be getting behind this guy:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/952491968/power-in-flux-the-history-of-electric-motorcycles
Ted Dillard is writing a book on electric motorcycles and it's shaping up to be one nugget of a book. Flick him some cash so he can finish this book!

I see ES is mentioned in his book. We're definitely a piece of the history.

Good luck at the races. We want videos!

So let me get this right.....

Don't crash, win, and pull a 1:39 which is 3seconds faster than we went last time and 9 whole seconds off the previous lap record.
Oh and by the way we have no money so we have to use old tyres.

I'm glad you don't ask for much haha.

See how we go. I do enjoy riding SMSP and look forward to going there again. We will make sure we get some video of the action.

Well that was an exciting day's racing, but not so much on our part. Varley machine had another cut-out just as Jason was having a real hot go, so all the races ended up being a bit of a procession. Great to see that David and his Zero are getting faster - 2 seconds a lap quicker than the morning race and 7 seconds a lap quicker than his previous best ~8 months ago.

Pottz put a lap in which was about 0.15 seconds off his November record lap, but we're only getting 3 laps, two of which are flying laps, so there's not a lot of time to consolidate a good flow. The FX series puts us out first thing in the morning before all the race warm-up sessions, thereby circumventing the noise curfews. Unfortunately, this means the track is at about 10 degrees C, and grip is pretty much non-existent. Likewise with the late afternoon race - the second-worst time to be on track with cold surfaces and a very low sun. Still, we do get some web TV coverage of the last race, and two races a day is better than one. The commentators still call it a demonstration race, but until we get more bikes on the grid, it's probably a fair call.

Fast forward to 6 hours 50 minutes to see race 4.
http://livestream.com/itvl/events/4138657

Check out Pottz nearly losing it on turn two:
https://www.facebook.com/voltronmotorcycles

Congratulations on the domination! I do hope you get some more competition soon though and it can get some distance from the 'demo' label that seems to follow EV's all through motorsport.

How's the battery holding up? Had any cell failures or heat related issues in recent history?

What's the limiting factor in performance right now? Battery/controller/motor?

Back