help plz!what do i need?

HAWTHORNE

1 µW
First im very new here,joined for advice!I built a wagon for recreational racing with friends...im wanting 28 inch wheels in the back,that both have same amt of power!wagon weighs 100 plus i weigh abt 175,the important part is i need wagon to go in excess of 33 miles per hour on flat serface????(is this possible?would leaf kit work...if so what size do i need....can it be hooked into same battery-controller?...help me out experts what do i need?also i need everything to be as compact as possible as i dont have much room...how noisy will it be?any safety concerns>? :?:

Recreational racing? Is there any other kind?

Need a better idea of what you mean by "Wagon."

Gas%20Powered%20Wagon.jpg

Couple of basics. Rpm of the brushless hub motor wheels will be determined by the voltage. So you need 48v or more to haul ass.

In general, the small geared type hub motors will not tolerate as high voltage as a direct drive type motor. (like 72v)

So your best bet will be to look for affordable deals on DD hubmotors, they are common on ebay and amazon. Typically, they can get close to 30 mph on "48v", so the stock 48v kit may not be quite as fast as you want. But the controller can handle up to 63v, so with a 15 cell battery, it might just make the speed you want.

Each motor will need it's own controller. But a very strong battery, such as the type used in RC drones can run both motors at once. To run 72v, likely you would need to buy two new controllers to run the motors.

the leaf company is suggesting 48v 1000 w....will that power me (175lbs and 100 lb wagon)to going in excess of 33 mph without pedaling on flat serface?and what size battery

the leaf company is suggesting 48v 1000 w....will that power me (175lbs and 100 lb wagon)to going in excess of 33 mph without pedaling on flat serface?and what size battery

You can't use any common hub motors for that job. 28 inch wheels are big, but hub motor flange spacing is narrow. It barely works for bicycles, which barely get side loaded. Put it on a multi track vehicle that bends its wheels sideways every time it turns a corner, and it will just fold up.

The one way to possibly make that work would be to use a rim with widely offset spoke holes, e.g. Surly Rabbit Hole, and lace the spokes across from the hub flanges to the opposite side of the rim. It won't buy you a whole lot of spoke bracing angle, but it might make the difference between a wheel that can be used and one that can't.

It would still help for you to say what you're really trying to build.

But is a hub motor a good idea at all? The wheels/tires you normally see on these wagons are far more substantial.

An alternative motor: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57483&hilit=big+block

And some info on freewheels.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68680

8da920792f297ce1b7ba772f809a0ec5.jpg

Why not use 2 front hub kits? The motors would pull and turn so you don't have to worry about any folding issues. Are the front wheels also going to be 28"? If not then you could try to achieve your speed with higher voltage and a higher RPM in smaller wheels. Also smaller wheels would have better acceleration and higher torque than larger wheels.

Back