Hyena's e-bike builds (now with HD video)

Ottodog said:
Awesome bikes Hyena. I just wish he photos from the beginning of this thread still worked.
Thanks. Probably for the best my old photos don't work, my early builds and experimentation were a bit of a travesty :lol: It's good to see the evolution though I guess.

Are those Maguras on that thing? M-5's?
Yep MT5s, quad piston. They're good and pull up the bike pretty smartly. I haven't ridden the bike close enough to the edge to have them show up any limitation but yeah, I'm happy with them.

Can you elaborate on some of the other gear you're using on your turnkey builds? Looks like quality.
I build with an assortment of stuff depending on what the end user wants - if people want to save weight I go with H40s and bicycle rims right up to adapted scooter motors (ie cro-style) with moto rims and a mix and match of options in between. The accessory stuff can be what ever but I like carbon bars and a few colour coded bits to match the frame stickers colours. My latest build I'm doing now is a bright yellow one, an Atomic MkII but with the colours kind of switched around. I'll post pics when the rest of the bits arrive.

Samd said:
I'm pretty sure he's not running a Falco motor Ottodog.
LOL, when I'm serious about high power I use only Q100s bro :lol:

Here's my latest vid,

buzzing around the slightly spooky Belangelo state forest. The steep bits don't really show that well in the footage but some of them were crazy steep to the point where I thought if the bike falters I'm going to go off backwards and come crashing down. Thankfully it ate it all up with confidence. The only other tracks on the ground were deep imprints from dirt bikes running big knobbies - lots of dirt bikes around but no mtbs.

[youtube]M6cBsxTeQfQ[/youtube]

I'm not sure that most people would get the subtlety :p
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backpacker_murders

Yeah probably lost on the international audience - at the least it's just another forest vid!

Did you watch right to the end for the bonus grizzly discovery ? :p

Hyena said:
Ottodog said:
Awesome bikes Hyena. I just wish the photos from the beginning of this thread still worked.
Thanks. Probably for the best my old photos don't work, my early builds and experimentation were a bit of a travesty :lol: It's good to see the evolution though I guess.

Are those Maguras on that thing? M-5's?
Yep MT5s, quad piston. They're good and pull up the bike pretty smartly. I haven't ridden the bike close enough to the edge to have them show up any limitation but yeah, I'm happy with them.

Can you elaborate on some of the other gear you're using on your turnkey builds? Looks like quality.
I build with an assortment of stuff depending on what the end user wants - if people want to save weight I go with H40s and bicycle rims right up to adapted scooter motors (ie cro-style) with moto rims and a mix and match of options in between. The accessory stuff can be what ever but I like carbon bars and a few colour coded bits to match the frame stickers colours. My latest build I'm doing now is a bright yellow one, an Atomic MkII but with the colours kind of switched around. I'll post pics when the rest of the bits arrive.

Samd said:
I'm pretty sure he's not running a Falco motor Ottodog.
LOL, when I'm serious about high power I use only Q100s bro :lol:

Here's my latest vid,

buzzing around the slightly spooky Belangelo state forest. The steep bits don't really show that well in the footage but some of them were crazy steep to the point where I thought if the bike falters I'm going to go off backwards and come crashing down. Thankfully it ate it all up with confidence. The only other tracks on the ground were deep imprints from dirt bikes running big knobbies - lots of dirt bikes around but no mtbs.

I really love the look of your builds Hyena. Let's talk if you have time later in the Summer to do another one. I've got one bike coming at the end of the week and if my kids really get into it and embrace it the way I hope they will, I'll be wanting to build one more. PM sent. 8)

Very nice vid jay, and to boot, you didn't almost get whacked in the process. You found some nice single track trail and no track trail. Very awesome indeed. BTW, I saw the Mad Max Fury movie. My favorite this year so far. I liked it better than the Avengers.

PM sent Ottodog.

Rix said:
Very awesome indeed. BTW, I saw the Mad Max Fury movie. My favorite this year so far. I liked it better than the Avengers.
Thanks mate. I haven't seen mad max or avengers yet, young kids with a short attention span and a busy work schedule mean I only end up making it to the cinema about once a year. And I'm saving that golden ticket for star wars! I'm looking forward to the watching the others on my home theatre when they're released though.

Excellent trail vid @2:30 looks like a demon fish hanging in the air.

beast775 said:
Excellent trail vid @2:30 looks like a demon fish hanging in the air.
Say what ?? :lol:
I watched it 5 times at that point and couldn't see what you're referring to. Keen to screen cap it ? I'm rather curious now!

For those following my ebike builds and want to see the new hotness, check out the new flux frame from the designers of the stealth electric bikes. You'll see me making some sweet new custom bikes build around this frame shortly but if you want to build your own get in on the special introductory offer here:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=69575&start=25

Couldnt get a freeze pic :evil: ,its on the right side of the trail,right next to your bike chest level. after 2:28 you will see a black spot to the right at the tree line,tail at bottom. been working on controllers and im officially gone nutso!

2.31, black demon fish on right, tick.

if you hold down the space bar on Youtube while its playing, will play in slow motion..... or click space bar on and off.

Thanks ive never done that [screen pic] before,but figured it out.

Wow ok that's well and imaginatively spotted :lol:

I'm going to start including subtle easter eggs in my videos for you eagle eyes to spot :)

Hyena, do you have a problem with the top of your tire rubbing on the bottom of the fork clamp on bottom out?

On my DNM USD-8 fork the top of my tire rubs the bottom clamp even though it is just below the MAX line. This is with a 26x2.6 duro razorback tire.

Maybe I need to raise it above that max line?

Sorry haven't been around much lately, busy with half a dozen projects and zero spare time.
No I've never had any rub on my forks. Sounds like you need a bit more pressure in there if you're bottoming out.

Here's my latest build in the works, the atomic raptor Mk II :)
It's basically the opposite of my previous atomic build so everything black will be yellow and vise versa.

Moto rims front and rear, sabvoton running 10kw, 24ah battery, schlumpf, quad piston magura brakes, carbon this and that - should be sweet. The only problem with building all these nice looking bikes is I have to hand them over when they're done!
This one will be getting a custom sticker scheme too which I'm working on now. It's a bit of an experiment but it should turn out OK. Easily removed if not!

yellow-atomic.jpg

Oh yeah, and Pendragon send me this cool 3D printed plaque a while back, thanks mate it now lives here on the back of my work bench :)

ken-3dprint.jpg

That's a nice build in progress, I like it. Canary Yellow is one of my favorite colors. SIck parts as well, should be a real screamer.

Offroader said:
Hyena, are you using 24" or 26" front tires? What PSI are you using for the bottom out?
26" running about 28 PSI in the tyres. No idea what the fork is using, I let out the tiniest bit of air from how it shipped and that was perfect.

Thanks Rix and Ottodog. Yeah this one should look and go great. I like making each build a something a bit different to the previous one.
Of course soon we shall enter the realm of the flux, then it's time to start all over with a new line of builds and personalisation :)

So I was chatting to icecube today for the ES podcast and he mentioned he liked seeing the updates in my build thread. I know it's been ages since I've updated it but I'm now shamed to see it's been almost 3 months!
Granted I've been exceedingly busy, but god damn, this is exceedingly poor form.

Where to start...

Well, for those who've been under a rock there's been the whole flux thing -first the alpha, then the announcement of the beta. Getting those both built and running will be my next big projects.
A month or so ago was the hunter EV festival again, though this year it was just the school teams race and a bit of a change of pace after last year. I went up for the day and as usual threw together something at the last minute. That something was a very sweet looking raptor, if I do say so myself, but in my haste to get up there I didnt have time to program the controller properly so just threw it in with default settings (sound familiar :lol: ) When I got up there I took it for a quick thrash around the carpark before hitting the track found it pulled hard to about 45km/hr then suddenly ran out of puff and lost all power. motherf#$*@##$#$#$1!!!!!! It seemed it had some default speed limit programmed. Needless to say I was disappointed to the max to have a bike limited to such poor speeds, especially as all the school kids gathered around taking pics, then standing around the edge of the track to watch me race. In a very uninteresting video from the sidelines you can here them say "here he comes onto the straight, wait until he hits it!" Sadly, there was no hitting it. Much embarrassment. I did get to be the pace bike to start the main school race - a task well suited to my hulking but anaemic beast. To really, REALLY add insult to injury though at the end of the day as I hopped on the bike to ride back to the car I noticed one of the buttons on the throttle was pressed in. I released it then opened the throttle and guess what. Full power, full speed. FUUUUUUUUUU!!!! :evil:
I was kicking myself for days. Oh well.
Grinhill had some technical issues too when his e-ninja died (blew a hall or something ?) on the first lap of the track. We were both looking forward to some drag racing but oh well, next year.

Here's a shot of it's guts. Seems legit :p

raptor-guts.jpg

Who can work out what's going on here ? :lol:

sabby-shenanigans.jpg

Finished product. 12kw, 100km/hr top speed. good everything, 32ah 22S multistar battery. ooft
redback-11.jpg

Some old dude at the EV festival was talking up his light weight mid drive powered bike and going on and on how it was the best bike here and the fastest bike around etc. I offered to race him for pink slips (as I do with nearly everyone :p ) and he laughed and says "on that thing ? Mine is half the weight of that, with slicks, and it's a Bosch mate! It'd be no competition"
"Is that right ? " I said, with a smirk and trying not to laugh. Then he started looking more closely at my bike and tells me I should have bought a fat bike because they had even bigger tyres. Then he finally stopped talking about his bike and says "so how much power has this thing got anyway?" and when I said 12kw he just stopped dead mid sentence. He went blank for a second, with a confused look on his face, then stuttered the next few words he tried to say. "twe... thou... twe... twelve thousand ?" I wish I had to gopro on, I've never seen anyone so confidently big noting themself have the life snatched out of them so instantly. Priceless :mrgreen:

So what else have I been up to... Of course there's my shadow chrome flux alpha build, equally sweet but ultimately ended up getting sold before I had a chance to finish building it! More to follow on the flux front.

View attachment 3

And the flux beta prototype. Still in pieces, not enough hours in the day!

fluxbeta1.jpg

I'm also in the process of building up this monstrosity for a customer. I pity anyone trying to pedal a loaded up one of these around the streets of Sydney (or just about anywhere for that matter) with just a shop bought ebike 250w kit!

cargo2.jpg

Anyway, that'll do for now, I've got a few well overdue raptor kits I need to get sorted so I can start on the flux builds

idontalways.jpg

I hopped on the bike to ride back to the car I noticed one of the buttons on the throttle was pressed in. I released it then opened the throttle and guess what. Full power, full speed. FUUUUUUUUUU!!!! :evil:

That sucks Jay, oh well. That's why none of my builds will have the low, med, high power button on the throttle, If it aint set for 100-130%, it don't get ridden by Rix :twisted:

That cargo bike, neat utility machine. Take the board to the beach, go buy a months worth of food from the store, start your own ebike taxi service. Got some money making options with that machine. How does it handle? I am guessing that it needs more room than your Raptor to turn around. Call it a hunch :lol:

Rix said:
If it aint set for 100-130%, it don't get ridden by Rix :twisted:
The old binary throttle huh ? Either on or off :mrgreen:

That cargo bike, neat utility machine
It's a ridiculous great hulking thing :lol:
Though no doubt would be good for select tasks. The steering is... uh, interesting. Even under pedal power. I guess you'd get used to it.
I haven't wired up the battery yet with with only 6" rotors front and rear for brakes and a H4080 running 18S lipo it's going to be hard to pull up!
It certainly isn't the way I'd have recommended going about building it but the guy already had the all the parts so I'm just assembling it.

Back